IGN gives Death Stranding a 6.8 review score

I would not say his earlier games were rip offs. Kojima was partially ispired by Hollywood and he mixed his ideas of Hollywood movies with some Kind of japanse weirdness.

It worked well in the early days, games like Snatcher, Policenauts and the first MGS were unique. It was time when cinematic games were rather uncommon, and the same goes for adult Story telling.

So Kojima could shine. I am still a fan of his early games but Kojima reached his zenith with MGS 3. After MGS 3 his games just became to weird.

It was also during this time when other games started to match the Kojima Style of Story telling or even surpase it.

Gameplaywise MGS was not the best game anyway as well. I like MGS for the Story and the weird characters. I was never a real fan of Splinter Cell's Sam Fisher but Splinter Cell has always been a better game than Metal Gear Solid.

It played more fluid, the Actions Sam could perform were way superior than the moves of Snake and co.
I'd put money on Tomokazu Fukushima as being an influential guy keeping Kojima's storytelling IDEAS, which are good, and making some level of coherent, focused narative out of it. Basically someone to tell Kojima NO, BAD IDEA, WE'RE DOING THIS INSTEAD, for the greater good of the project. It's no coincidence that MGS1 to 3 were better when he was co-writer along side Kojima, than post 4, 5, and DS when he wasn't there. Simply put Kojima isn't a good writer. He's extremely poor but everyone thinks he did it all, that's the problem. He's good at game design ideas, directing cinematography and story IDEAS like lore, but that's it.

Fukushima is most definitely underrated and sorely missed by MGS! Mentioned here briefly before, but I always loved Fukushima, yet when he was slowly being replaced by Murata during Snake Eater, I admit to not too bothered. Had too much faith in Shuyo to be as good, if not better, than Tomokazau.

Peace Walker was great, but almost by accident; as if, because it was cannon, but handheld rather than console, there wasn't a much internal or external pressure for Hideo to one-up himself.

Wouldn't go so far as calling Kojima a con/rip-off/plagiarizer; for quite some time I've thought of him as the Tarantino of video games.

Because he isn't. There is a big difference between plagiarizing and paying homage to something.

Agreed, some earlier in thread were sort of alleging he was, which is a bit off base. Meant tarantino of video games as a compliment because he makes nice homages to really classic work within his own classic work. Not derivative like some high school AV club remake haha

Last edited:
Reactions: SCQ
Yeah the influence of Tomokazu Fukushima should not understated. Concerning the Story telling there are worlds between the first MGS and later MGS games. The first MGS had a rather simple (at least for MGS Terms) Story and was quite beliviable. MGS 2 already got way more weird but still good. Same goes for MGS 3. From 4 onwards everything got over the top.

The Problem with Kojima and MGS is also that Kojima did not want to make MGS for such a long time. He stated from every interview since MGS 2 that the Metal Gear he is working on now is going to be the last. But aparently Konami forced Kojima to move on.

This lead to many lose Ends in the universes lore because the Story was never meant to that big.

Now that he game is out, have any of your chucklefucks managed to play the game? Thinking of dusting off my PS4 for it but if folks here are saying it is shit then I will not bother.

Now that he game is out, have any of your chucklefucks managed to play the game? Thinking of dusting off my PS4 for it but if folks here are saying it is shit then I will not bother.
I think most here are gonna try it after Shenmue 3 for some reason

I got the game today unlike some here already bashing it by only watching YouTube videos. I will try to complete it before Shenmue 3 on my spare time and I will let folks know my thoughts if anyone cares. I highly doubt it's shit as I looked over Kojima's rep sheet and realized none of the games he personally directed and produced sucked. I even heard those Botkai GBA games are decent.

I was watching avoiding the pudle play Death Stranding last night, and it was a total disaster! hahaha
He hated the game and was trashing it so hard, and Kojima, It was so funny, I couldn't stop laughing. hahaha
He want's to finish it tho.
I personaly don't think the game is bad, but Aris is hilarious to watch. :ROFLMAO:

He's looking forward to shenmue3.

It's not advisible for sensitive people to watch cause he might trash Shenmue 3 as well. lol

Yeah its loads of fun, the game's movement is alot more involved than it looks and climbing up steep slopes and especially down them can be super tense, the highlight of my playthrough so far was being forced into taking the most dangerous path down a mountainside and have to actually consider every next step or i would slide off and eat shit, there was a part where to cross a gap i had to make a running jump to get to the next safer step down and that small moment of problem solving makes me pretty much only want to take the most dangerous option possible going foreword.

I actually was fully expecting these early parts to be the most boring thing in the world, and while theres some annoyance in how linear it is since you really dont have any gear to mess around with, it was still alot more interesting than I anticipated. Theres alot more danger in the world than it seems cause you really need to take into account the damage your cargo is going to take which can add another level of tension when going down a cliff side without tools. I'm now at chapter 2 where it basically starts unloading everything on you and opening up thankfully.

I was watching avoiding the pudle play Death Stranding last night, and it was a total disaster! hahaha
He hated the game and was trashing it so hard, and Kojima, It was so funny, I couldn't stop laughing. hahaha
He want's to finish it tho.
I don't think the game is bad , but Aris is hilarious to watch. :ROFLMAO:

He's looking forward to shenmue3.

I don't advise the most sensitive people to watch cause he might trash Shenmue 3 as well. lol
It should be noted that Aris is shockingly terrible at any video game thats not a fighting game, him playing hitman 2 is enough to give any fans of it an aneurism. What separates him from dsp is hes funny about it usually. It should also be noted he doesnt actually like shenmue that much, he just likes the gambling in it cause of his real gambling addiction, his streams consist mostly of just going between slot machines.

It should be noted that Aris is shockingly terrible at any video game thats not a fighting game, him playing hitman 2 is enough to give any fans of it an aneurism. What separates him from dsp is hes funny about it usually. It should also be noted he doesnt actually like shenmue that much, he just likes the gambling in it cause of his real gambling addiction, his streams consist mostly of just going between slot machines.
hahaha yeah I know man.
He's a slow learner but very good at soul calibur and tekken.

He's a hilarious to watch tho. I was almost crying yesterday. hahaha !
Like I said, not advisible for sensitive people who might get offended over video game opinions.

My wife is a big Kojima fan, as am I. I was on the fence, as the reviews were a bit all over. In the end, what the wife wants, she gets so I procured a copy last night. What follows are impressions from ~2 hours of playtime.

Visually, no other PS4 game comes close to this one. I'm astounded they got that out of this old system, frankly.

Story-wise, it doesn't give a whole lot away but is very fascinating. A nice blend of A Quiet Place, Walking Dead and Supernatural. It keeps you playing and leaves(so far) a lot up for interpretation or speculation.

Gameplay---tense, slow-paced and methodical...this is where people will like it or hate it. There is no in between. I find it fun and enjoyable.

If you're the type to collect everything in Skyrim, seek out every Star in Mario regardless of risk, do every side quest in an RPG, it is solid for you. If you enjoy stealth or methodical approaches to situations, ala Metal Gear Solid or Dark Souls, again a good choice.

For those on the fence, I suggest a 2 or 3 day rental from Redbox to determine your interest level. It is that divisive, just like Shenmue.

I think people hyping up (down?) How dlow the start is and that it gets good 10 hours in is beneficial to people trying it out tbh, cause the starts pretty damn great where as people are probably expecting the worst

I got the game from redbox today. Only played it for about 2 hours but I am liking it. It is a very unique game, but that is perfect for me. I am the type of person who really dislikes the common denominator action-oriented bullshit that dominates gaming these days. Death stranding seems to be a game that allows the player to experience the game rather than being adrenaline rush after adrenaline rush.

I actually find myself often just walking at normal pace in the game, taking the the environment instead of just running at full pace at all times. Only time I ran at full pace was during the deliveries where they tell you that time is important. The whole balancing min-game doesn't even really exist when you are walking at normal speed.

So basically the general consensus here is that it's a matter of taste rather than being objectively bad like some seem to claim?

Yes, it is very divisive. Shenmue is the same way, likewise for the Souls-type games. There isn't really a true "middle ground"; you either like it or hate it.

This is one of the few releases where you can say $3-6 for a couple nights rental from Redbox is both neccesary and enough to determine if you'll enjoy it. You cannot go by reviews, especially considering how wildly varying they are.

Kojima:
Perhaps it is a difficult game to understand for a certain type of critic and audience. Americans are great fans of first-person shooters and Death Stranding isn't one, it flies higher.
Also Kojima:

1573652015345.jpg

That's some quality political commentary, it really flies above people heads.

Back