IGN's Esra Krabbe - Shenmue 3 editorial (MAGIC '19)

Currently playing
Yakuza 0 (PS4)
PSN
HoshiGAKiteiku

You can read the whole article at the link above.

Haven't finished reading but I think I have changed my mind and that Chobu was in fact renamed to Niaowu.

Also IGN confirms the Ryo in the Magic Monaco trailer was an old model and he looks better in the gameplay preview he saw.

Last edited by a moderator:
I read everything saying more dialogue than any game to date this is something very exciting to hear a lot of that dialogue it's probably with Shenhua. Everytime I read more about Shenmue 3 the more interesting it gets. Can't wait for August 27 I'm staying in my house for 2 weeks without going outside that day.

Thank @Peter for the quoting, formating and pics. All his doing. Great job!

Urgh, now I want that snail mini game, dammit. Ah well. Maybe it can be DLC.

Last edited:
In older trailers and screenshots, many fans complained that the main character did not look like the Ryo they knew, and while that still can be said to some degree about the new trailer, Ryo looked better in the gameplay footage I saw.
Interesting. So this more or less confirms what some were saying about the model in the trailer not being the model from the newest screenshots.

“I also wanted to implement a snail race, but sadly we weren’t able to do that this time,” Suzuki said with a straight face.

I didn’t understand what could be so special about a snail race. Why would anyone want to watch races featuring a creature even slower than a turtle?

“Snails are very slow, you know” said Suzuki. “I thought it would be interesting to combine this with Shenmue’s flow of time. Ryo would have to place his bets in the morning, but has to come back later in the afternoon to check the results.”
lmao, I love this man.

Suzuki says he doesn’t advise even core fans to start with the hardest mode, the Japanese name of which can be translated as “Don’t even try!”
Nice.

And unfortunately, it looks like the "no throws" translation was accurate. It's a big bummer for me personally, but I guess we all have to be willing to accept SOME sacrifice of Shenmue aspects we love given the circumstances of the game. Not being able to talk to every NPC isn't something I care about, but I understand it's very important to others. All in all, it sounds like the game is coming together way better than I ever expected, making the wait all the more excruciating.

Ok no throws. I can live with that.

Ryo having a newer model in the ganeplay demo is awesome and confirms most of our thoughts.

Very fair and balanced. The game sounds like it's grinded every last penny to make it the full Shenmue 3 experience. I cannot wait to play this!

"...and most of the game’s music is reused from the original games, be it with many pieces that were never used in the originals."

This is the only thing which really made me a bit alarmed, If they use planned music that wasn't used that could be fun, but I don't want the same recordings that were used in S1 & S2's OST to be pasted into the game - I'd be happily with newer recordings of course!

Utterly relieved that the daily structure is still intact and I don't think not being able to talk to every NPC will be an issue - Many in Shenmue II didn't have much to say really and I didn't do so as much on my recent playthrough. I'm also interested in the stamina system and like how it actually gives value to food - no more trucks worth of Chocolate & Caramel storage :p

Hearing about Ryo being able to change his Icon outfit got me giddy! I'm so going to change into combat robes for training!

Still a bit bummed as a backer that I've not had access to this footage, but it made for a good read and I think I feel a bit more reassured than before :)

I think maybe there could be throws as QTE finishing moves. They could work as a cutscene at the end of a battle but you wont be able to do them in actual combat. Or..maybe not.

I just wanna flip Lan Di onto his face... arrrgh

Good preview.

Intrigued about Chobu possibly being renamed, and Ryo's model being improved upon from the trailer. I still have a feeling it might be the difference between seeing it live, and seeing a version with video compression, but all the same it's should continue to confirm they're not done with the presentation.

No throws confirmed. This actually kills a lot of my hype. Throws were my favorite part of Shenmue’s battle system. Felt so rewarding pulling them off. I can’t put a positive spin on this one, sadly.
Given the combat has been rebuilt top to bottom, it's probably best not to judge throw moves being absent by your experience with them in the originals. The impact will probably only be felt, or not felt, when we get our hands on the game.

Fantastic interview with some really great questions!

Reading this really does cement the fact that Yu Suzuki is a one of a kind game designer. From the things that he wants to implement in the game, to the way that he understands & manipulates the budget, he really just has it all! (Those frog and turtle races are going to be something :D)

Extremely happy (yet again) with everything in the article and I fully have 100% trust in Yu and Ysnet. Bring on the road to release!!

Great read and looking forward to it even more.

Hope he doesn't go further than what's stated already with character customisation and dlc.

Don't want no shitty waifu pandering dress up game where the only new content is going to be new clothes for your loli shenha

I'd rather time and energy be spent on gameplay and throw moves than a new jacket and pink dress.

I like Shenmue because it was unique and revolutionary, created a new genre, focused on plot , exploration, detail and didn't pander to the masses with whatever hot meem trend was happening

Don't want Shenmue to be a shell of its former glory

In Yu we trust... Right?

I love how humble he is. "There are better fishing games on phones."

He knows this, but he set out to deliver a message and vision about everyday life in this game.

He knows there are better things out there, but there is only one game like his, love it or hate it.

This is and always was going to be for the fans. It isn't made to be a mainstream hit, it isn't going to throw it on everyone's radar for big sales.

We have to enjoy it for what it is, take the good with the bad and be happy we finally get the continuation no one ever thought possible.

Will Shenmue IV ever happen? Listening to Suzuki talk and his passion for the series, I do expect it to happen. Will it be a game without a Kickstarter? Maybe, maybe not..but we will see it conclude one way or another.

My personal happiest ending would be if SEGA funded IV, Yu made it everything he wished it to be for a story conclusion and then retire along with the series.

Something from the article when questioned about the Shemue Online video:
What has had many of the fans worried is that supernatural elements might change that sense of reality in Shenmue III. The ending of Shenmue II contained supernatural events, and similar elements can be seen in a pre-release promotional video of the original Shenmue. In a trailer for the unreleased Shenmue Online, Ryo even unleashes what looks like a Hadouken. I had to ask Suzuki about this, but he gave me a much simpler answer than I had expected.
“There are no supernatural elements in Shenmue III.”

“There are no supernatural elements in Shenmue III.”

Daymn! As someone who has been watching that Shenmue Online trailer on a monthly basis this sort of makes me sad... I so want to see that eventually that summoning sequence & conflict between Phoenix & Dragon... Still considering what we saw of that Magic 19 trailer, that stuff is way left field to what Shenmue III is offering, Ryo still has a long way to go!

Thanks for sharing the interview. A very well written article.

Ok the no throw thing seems confirmed now. Not a big deal for me though. I could never use them effectively in the old games anyway. Was better at punishing and kicking, but still feel a bit sorry for the fans that were good at the throws.

I mean, the no supernatural things in the game comment is just, well, its not true. Prophecies are a form of fortune telling, which is 100% supernatural, and we know the game still has the prophecy in it, it even had a trailer...

Like I said in another thread, what Yu Suzuki considers super natural probably isnt the same as many other peoples definition of it. He likely believes it is more a mystical/spiritual matter.

Back