IGN's Esra Krabbe - Shenmue 3 editorial (MAGIC '19)

The only thing alarming me a bit is Suzuki bluntly saying there would be no supernatural elements in Shenmue 3. I actually loved the ending of Shenmue 2 and how it subtly introduced some magical realism. Why introduce it all then?

The only thing alarming me a bit is Suzuki bluntly saying there would be no supernatural elements in Shenmue 3. I actually loved the ending of Shenmue 2 and how it subtly introduced some magical realism. Why introduce it all then?

He likely doesn't consider spiritual and mystical elements as supernatural.

That was a great read. While there are sacrifices that had to be made, it sounds like the game is shaping up nicely given the budget they had to work with.

Sorry Suzuki, but im picking the hardest difficulty from the get go :)

If that means it takes even longer to complete, even better. :p

The ending of S2 didn't fit to the whole story at all. S1 and S2 besides the ending were a rather grounded storyline, with subtle mysterious elements and then they introduced the flying sword. I was impressed to be honest. Did not expect it all. I am not sad if these elements are not present in part 3 anymore. But that's just me.

I mean, the no supernatural things in the game comment is just, well, its not true. Prophecies are a form of fortune telling, which is 100% supernatural, and we know the game still has the prophecy in it, it even had a trailer...

Like I said in another thread, what Yu Suzuki considers super natural probably isnt the same as many other peoples definition of it. He likely believes it is more a mystical/spiritual matter.
Yeah, he just means it's not going to turn into a shounen battle anime or something. I fully expect other subtle supernatural oddities in an otherwise very grounded world. That overt realism of the world making the tiny bits of mysticism that much more striking is part of what I like about Shenmue. When everyone is already flying around shooting laser beams out of their hands it isn't very interesting imo.

The ending of S2 didn't fit to the whole story at all. S1 and S2 besides the ending were a rather grounded storyline, with subtle mysterious elements and then they introduced the flying sword. I was impressed to be honest. Did not expect it all. I am not sad if these elements are not present in part 3 anymore. But that's just me.

Ryo has been having prophetic dreams since Shenmue 1. Not to menton that games menu wait clip has a clip about Shenhua meeting a boy from the east, before they even knew each other existed. Shenmue has always had supernatural elements but its just that they werent rhe focus, they were in the background, far apart from the grounded world of Shenmue, which made when they came up so special.

Also you can literally go to a fortune teller in both games.

More or less, yes, this has been raised in interviews before, including with ourselves and Team Yu. There is a very clear line in the sand, with Yu Suzuki, between supernatural, and mystical/earthly elements. He is a huge believer in drawing energy from the earth, causing human beings to do incapable things. Which is very true, with numerous superhuman feats recorded, such as people lifting entire cars to save someones life, when they are not built like Brock Lesner. Despite the article stating there will be no supernatural elements, I would take that with a little pinch of salt. I mean the entire game prophecy has tales of a mystical dragon being resurrected, and the fact that Ryo dreamt about Shenhua before meeting her.

I would keep an open mind with this one.

OK, so I wasn't imagining things after all. He did look better in that recent screenshot, probably the same build as the gameplay demo.

This has just put all my worried Ryo posts this morning to sleep.

Phewwww :sneaky:

These things are way more subtle than the flying swords and maybe flying fighters in the next game. Sounds like some old kung fu movies I was never a fan off in the past. I became a fan because of the realistic approach of the games had. Especially for the time they were released. So I am glad the mystical stuff will not play a big part in 3.

But as I said that's a matter of taste without any doubt. Some people like it. Some other people do not like it. There is no right and wrong.

OK, so I wasn't imagining things after all. He did look better in that recent screenshot, probably the same build as the gameplay demo.
Yep, good to know I too wasn't seeing things. Now I can't wait to see what Ryo really looks like in motion, he looked great in that screenshot.

Speaking of supernatural: aren't the mirrors keys for awakening an ancient monster of Chinese legend? Not to mention the Shenmue Online trailer where Shenhua transforms into a past ancestor (?) and a freaking dragon is looming in the sky. Sounds like the series is definitely headed to a supernatural endpoint (Shenmue 4?) even if Shenmue 3 is more concerned with resolving the conflict between Ryo and Lan Di.

Before the flying swords the mystic stuff was told in a very reduced and humble way. Yes there are mystical mirrors and a legend about an ancient Chinese monster. But they are just legends. It is not clear if is about a literal monster or is it about a different more realistic matter. Before the flying sword stuff we did not know. Both things could be true. And that's great. I hope it stays that way and the story is not turning into Dragon Ball. Nothing against Dragon Ball, I like it, but I do not want that type of story for a Shenmue game.

I had a feeling that wasn't the final model of Ryo in the trailer. But I liked how he looked so hopefully his current one that we've yet to see isn't too different. It was never gonna be the same after so long but I'd be happy if he looks the same as the latest screenshot we saw of him.

No throws? Can't say I'm too pleased about that but I guess you can't have everything. Hopefully the interaction and excitement of the new battle system will make up for this. Really excited to see the new moves Ryo will learn in Shenmue 3 though!

Shenmue 4 will probably be more supernatural, maybe Yu likes going for very realistic like Shenmue 1 and some magic elements like Shenmue 2's ending.

Before the flying swords the mystic stuff was told in a very reduced and humble way. Yes there are mystical mirrors and a legend about an ancient Chinese monster. But they are just legends. It is not clear if is about a literal monster or is it about a different more realistic matter. Before the flying sword stuff we did not know. Both things could be true. And that's great. I hope it stays that way and the story is not turning into Dragon Ball. Nothing against Dragon Ball, I like it, but I do not want that type of story for a Shenmue game.

I agree to a point, while I don't want to see Ryo do Hadoukens, I'm still kind of keen to see that Shenmue Online content integrated into a mainline Shenmue game - It just looks so epic! But this is something I would expect later within the series - Possibly Shenmue IV if we dare talk of such a thing :p If not, it makes me wonder what else the Mirrors could be for... I hope considering where Shenmue II left of, I was kind of hoping Shenhua's Adoptive father (Xu?) would clue us in a bit better.

Sorry Suzuki, but im picking the hardest difficulty from the get go :)

After a round of QTE Title:

Screenshot-20190314-143748-2.png

Back