Instead of Shenmue 3 would you rather have had ....

I WANTED ...

• Total voters
Instead of Shenmue 3, would you rather the kickstarter money have been used for a Shenmue history and preservation

A deep dive into the long development, the Saturn beta, project Berkeley, the original plan of virtual fighter RPG and an explanation of the title cards

A release of any beta footage or builds in the Sega archives

The original vision and interviews with the then staff

A translation and release for the original manuscripts that Yu Suzuki has held so dearly all these years

I know there was that other kickstarter documentary that has gone quiet since it went to the cutting room but there is no way they would have the power, budget and access like Yu would have

Anyway this is a IN HINDSIGHT thought
How about you? What would you rather this chance was used on instead of Shenmue 3?

Shenmue 3 never felt the same as the first two for me. I didn't like the third game and I feel the story will never get its conclusion. This will be a very unpopular opinion but continuing the story as an official graphic novel or animated series would have been able the tell all the chapters that Yu Suzuki intended and would have told a great story. Each to their own.

I don't read manga or watch anime, but I suppose I'd buy a Shenmue anime to support the cause. I would've never even been aware of this series if it'd started as either of those things.

for the fans, 14 years ago, Ys and sega should of released a few books / graphic novels to complete the shenmue story.. and then Ys could of worked towards creating the games.

after playing and completing shenmue 3, i cant say im overly hyped for S4.

Last edited:
for the fans, 14 years ago, Ys and sega should of released a few books / graphic novels to complete the shenmue story.. and then Ys could of worked towards creating the games.

after playing and completing shenmue 3, i cant say im overly hyped for S4.
I loved the cheesy dialogue in 1&2 but the dialogue in 3 was just terrible

Back