Kiba

is a platonic form
Favourite title
Shenmue III
Currently playing
Shenmue III
Steam
softmuseum
I suppose Peter would have the best answers here, but I'll make a thread since the Dojo is home to many travellers.

A group of us are flying to Ireland in May because. After we walk off the plane in Dublin, then what? Any wise suggestions for curious strangers who want to see the real essence and secret places of the Emerald Isle (let's say on a bus to Cork [or should we go north to Belfast? (maybe both ways are nice?)])? Thanks!

Im so sorry Kiba, I completely missed this topic (I rarely come into GD these days, which is completely ignorant on my part!).

Any way I can help make your trip more awesome I will try! Frist off, I really hope you all have a good time! Ireland is an amazing country, with beautiful scenery, and has its own unique history. I will cut straight to the point with my own thoughts and opinions, but I will go on the assumption that you want to enjoy Ireland for what it is known for; green fields, castle ruins, historical places, pints of Guinness, a peat fire and bowls of stew! A bit stereotypical yes, but that's what makes this country so great, and experiences which I really don't take full advantage of.

With that in mind, I would cross 2 places off of your list to spend much time in, and that's Belfast and Dublin. First off, they are major cities, and not different to any other major city in Europe. Sure, you will have nice architecture and maybe a museum and stuff, but what city doesn't. Unfortunately, in terms of national identity, Dublin has been completely inflused with migration, and as the majority of the country jokes, you will be hard pressed to find an Irish person in Dublin anymore. I don't mean that in a discriminatory way, its just the way it is.
Belfast, and the North.... I don't know if I need to explain much about up here in these parts, but the history that exists in the North is always on full view, and tours across various interfaces are available. I live here, so our past is not appealing to me at all.
In terms of where I would go in Ireland, if I had a choice is very easy - all of the West coast. Starting at the top we have Donegal, which is one of the most beautiful places on this planet. I want to retire out there. its just so beautiful. Then moving down to Galway, Sligo, County Clare..... just so many beautiful small towns and proper salt of the Earth people, and so many historical sites to see along the way. Even the Father Ted house if that's on the list! I will admit, I have never been to Cork in my life, which is a bit weird, but at the same time, I cant say that an opportunity has ever presented itself to go, nor have I ever had any desire to go.

Thank you so much, Peter! I just figured you were busy, but that you'd send out a nice reply eventually, and that you did. Your advice is well appreciated, and will probably become the basis of our itinerary.

Dublin is pure shite. Their big landmark attraction is a big pointy stick and the Dub accent is an ear-sore. Peter's advice is pretty spot on. Basically what he's listed is now marketed as the Wild Atlantic Way, so a search of that should give you an idea of the main go-to spots along the coast. Norn Iron could be fun if murals are your bag. Just keep in mind the whole Brexit shite. We still have no idea if you'd be able to easily travel from the Republic to Northern Ireland in May. My guess is everyone is too incompetent to set up a hard border by then, but it's still something to be aware of. Cork was decent last time I was there. It's not a big city and not overly homogenised, but you'll have no trouble finding the typical chains either if you get a urge for something more familiar.

Thank you, Ginfners.

Back