Is it worth buying Shenmue I & II on PC if I already own it on PS4? Do mods make much of a difference?

Okay so I am planning on starting a new day and date playthrough of Shenmue I & II next week and I have it on PS4 but I was wondering about the PC version since it can be modded. I have Game Pass on my PC and Shenmue I & II is on there, but I'm not too sure if I can mod it. Someone on the boards here said I can mod it using something called UWPDumper but I think it may be too much for me to figure out how to do it. I was thinking of buying the Steam version since it's on sale right now for like $10, BUT I found a Steam Key on eBay for $3.50 (https://www.ebay.com/itm/Shenmue-I-...sh=item4da0eb2c55:g:7oIAAOSwfBVd3Bhy&LH_BIN=1). I'm tempted to buy it but I don't know if it'll be legit. The seller has no negative ratings though. So is the PC version worth buying to play with mods if I already own it on PS4?

Yes, it's definitely worth buying on pc for the mods alone. I used the Steam version, so I can't comment on the Game Pass version, the mods made the experience more enjoyable than ever on the Steam version.

It's very likely that the key on ebay is legit, it's probably somebody selling their key from their Humble Monthly subscription, this is something that happens often with Humble Bundle keys. But it's ebay, so you can never be 100% sure. There is always a chance that it's a used or stolen key which could end up being removed from your library at any time. You saying the reviewer has no negative feedback is a positive sign though.

Also, make sure your pc specs can handle the game. They are ports of old games, but they are still quite demanding. Basically, if you are using Intel integrated gpu's to play pc games, then these games won't run well at all, especially Shenmue 1, it's unplayable with integrated gpu's. I have seen countless people complain on the Steam forums since last year because of this.

It’s totally worth it. Follow this excellent tutorial video from @Peter and you should have no issues finding all the most have mods to download.

Replaying games especially part 1 with some of the high resolution packs, definitely felt more like a remaster than a simple HD rerelease. That along with cutscenes being widescreen made a huge difference for me.

I already bought it and followed the tutorial video and now I have horrible FPS
It might be your computer's specs, unfortunately. :/

It's really too bad we didn't get just a few more patches on the console versions in particular. The Dreamcast-quality audio upgrade and widescreen cutscene mods made a bigger difference than I could ever imagine for my experience. I haven't even tried anything beyond those.

It might be your computer's specs, unfortunately. :/

It's really too bad we didn't get just a few more patches on the console versions in particular. The Dreamcast-quality audio upgrade and widescreen cutscene mods made a bigger difference than I could ever imagine for my experience. I haven't even tried anything beyond those.

Nah it was the Special K mod. I uninstalled it and then tested it out without the mod, and it ran perfectly.

I already bought it and followed the tutorial video and now I have horrible FPS

Changing my screen to fullscreen instead of borderless got rid of any slowdown I had. At first I had bad FPS even though I was above system requirements. Ever since, game ran smoothly except for some skips in Shenmue II during dialog sometimes.

Changing my screen to fullscreen instead of borderless got rid of any slowdown I had. At first I had bad FPS even though I was above system requirements. Ever since, game ran smoothly except for some skips in Shenmue II during dialog sometimes.

I did that and I still had horrific slowdown.

My advice is to ask for help in. https://www.shenmuedojo.com/forum/index.php?forums/shenmue-modding.21/

As well try using this new mod instead it doesn't use Special K.
https://www.nexusmods.com/shenmue/mods/30

There are people in the modding section that doesn't advise to use Special K anymore.
The author seems to not support it anymore. It still causing bugs to many people.
I dropped Special K in favor of other similar mods and have been doing much better myself, if that helps ya any, OP.

Does that other mod support the mod which changes the soda machines back to the Coca-Cola brands? I downloaded one that changed the orange, grape and Jet Soda cans back into Fanta Orange, Fanta Grape and Sprite cans, but the Coke cans still showed up as Jet Soda. :/

On a humorous note, I was playing yesterday and was testing the cans and was trying to see if the coffee cans were changed to the old Georgia cans and I got FIVE Lucky cans in a row. Never had that happen to me at all whenever I played Shenmue.

The Soda machine mod doesn't work properly sadly. Yes you see Coca Cola machine but when you take out a soda it's not a coca cola. The author didn't finish the mod properly and left it like that. Even through is it possible to change it and all others but you would have to do it yourself. There was a guide in mod section.

Buy it through official means if for no other reason than to support the franchise.

Does that other mod support the mod which changes the soda machines back to the Coca-Cola brands? I downloaded one that changed the orange, grape and Jet Soda cans back into Fanta Orange, Fanta Grape and Sprite cans, but the Coke cans still showed up as Jet Soda. :/

On a humorous note, I was playing yesterday and was testing the cans and was trying to see if the coffee cans were changed to the old Georgia cans and I got FIVE Lucky cans in a row. Never had that happen to me at all whenever I played Shenmue.
I notice they made new mod! that works a lot better!
https://www.nexusmods.com/shenmue/mods/28
1577787215624.png

Back