Is reading still a past time hobby of yours?

By contrast (though not shaming/critiquing), reading has always been one of my favorite past times, and I'm infinitely grateful for the great books that have guided me over the years. To be fair, my goal is to one day become a philosophy professor, so my bias is... a hint strong.
(To my mind, one of the few comparable experiences for what good books can do for one's mind, besides the stray film or play, is something as well crafted as Shenmue. It taught Eastern culture to me in a way mere words would do poorly.)

For the sake of brevity, I've been reading a volume of The Cambridge History of Capitalism, balanced with Ralph McInerney's Bright Lights, Big City. The movie is depressing, but the novel is a truly hilarious criticism of New Yorker culture and drug addiction, while subtly recognizing the brokenness of folks in their 20s. Otherwise, I read Latin for my job which is, however dear, the very requirement of which you speak.

A related aside: one of the best books I've ever read is Mortimer Adler's How to Read a Book, and I think it covers a point that affects much of contemporary society, even though it was written in the 1930s: (at least) the US educational system does a poor job of teaching students how to read better. Reading proficiency is often equated with literacy, hence jettisoned after a certain degree of proficiency is demonstrated. This is unfortunate, as tactics for quick reading (newspapers, internet articles requiring little) or slow reading (for heavier, dense topics) are rarely taught, even in uni. We don't know how to read well, but this book tries to correct that.

I'm on book 2 of 4 (third chapter {35} of book 2) for Romance of the Three Kingdoms.

By God, what an amazing bundle of text; tactics, human behaviour, idioms, I'm only 1/4 into the entire novel, but I can already see why it is considered one of the greatest pieces of literature ever written and how it is so incredibly inspirational to a tons of other texts after it.

Cao Cao is a badass.

I read parts of Romance a while back. It was great, as you say. I should read the entire thing someday.

And yes, just from having played RotTK 2 on Genesis I could have told you Cao Cao is the baddest ass ever to make Koei historical sims seem easy.

It's funny; he's an antagonist, clearly, but they write so endearingly about him AND he topples a bunch of even more heinous antagonists.

Places him firmly into anti-hero status.

Xuande/Liu Bei is also badass, but less so on his own accord, as he relies too heavily on others (whereas Cao Cao just doesn't care lol).

I like him too though :)

If I can ever find the commitment/time, some materials I'd like to sit and read through:

- The Red Peony
- The Art of War
- Journey to the West

and two works I'd like to have a re-read through my "Adult" lenses:

-Homer's The Oddessy
-Various works of Shakespeare

And last but not least, a proper through study of the Bible. Then do one unbroken marathon of CS Lewis's "Chronicle of Narnia" series since they are allegorical to Biblical sources and is enhanced with a good knowledge and understanding of biblical contents.

Last edited:
Narnia was the first book, "series," that I ever read and the Last Battle is still one of my 5 favourite books ever.

LWW is so heavily overrated, but, being the first will mean that it's always going to be popular. And it is, but it is the second weakest book, IMO. Loved the Magician's Nephew, Horse and His Boy and VotDT. Prince Caspian was alright and Silver Chair is underrated. But The Last Battle was perfect, for me.

I should probably do a reread of all of them (and not in chronological order, but the release order), as I read them a good 3-4 years before I really started reading and knowing the Bible, like I knew it soon after and today.

After I'm done Rot3K, I'll get back to the Bond Novels, as I'm halfway done, then I'll get Water Margin, as it sounds awesome as well.

So many wonderful texts in the world!

If I can ever find the commitment/time, some materials I'd like to sit and read through:

- The Red Peony
- The Art of War
- Journey to the West

and two works I'd like to have a re-read through my "Adult" lenses:

-Homer's The Oddessy
-Various works of Shakespeare

And last but not least, a proper through study of the Bible. Then do one unbroken marathon of CS Lewis's "Chronicle of Narnia" series since they are allegorical to Biblical sources and is enhanced with a good knowledge and understanding of biblical contents.
The Art of War is pretty short, you can probably finish it in an evening, maximum 2.

I also like to read a lot. I like to read Novels based on Video games and novels based on the Star Wars Franchise. I also like to read Star Wars related novels.

Also like to read book About history and Tech Stuff.

I'm a Star Wars EU guy too! Revenge of the Sith novel is my fave.

Though I read Heir to the Jedi recently and wanted to kill myself.

im not a big reader but i plan to read Douglas Murray's new book soon:

The Madness of Crowds: Gender, Race and Identity by Douglas Murray

other than that "political" stuff i like reading about art history and some graphic novels.

Reading really helps me wind down right before going to sleep... a lot more than watching videos, but often videos are easier to find than good books. I recently read a book called Britsoft which is an oral history of British game developers from the 1980s to present; and Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind by Hayao Miyazaki... a nice new two-volume reprint of the mind-boggling, utterly unique masterpiece manga, but also kind of a downer.

@Revan I am reading the new Thrawn novels Right now. So far I really like them. Have not read the Novelization of Revenge of the Sith so far, but I want to give it try. Have heard many good Things About the book.

Reading really helps me wind down right before going to sleep... a lot more than watching videos, but often videos are easier to find than good books. I recently read a book called Britsoft which is an oral history of British game developers from the 1980s to present; and Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind by Hayao Miyazaki... a nice new two-volume reprint of the mind-boggling, utterly unique masterpiece manga, but also kind of a downer.

I have that Nausicaa set too! Suprised they never made the 2nd half into animation. I'm also currently readin Berserk for the 1st time with Dark Horses new Deluxe Volumes - Art is insane and my friend tells me it only gets more detailed :p

After I'm done Rot3K, I'll get back to the Bond Novels, as I'm halfway done, then I'll get Water Margin, as it sounds awesome as well.

When you finish Rot3k & Water Margin try to immediately dive into the Suikoden(game) series while it's still fresh in your mind. This series is inspired by these two classical literature works. The 108 stars(recruit-able chars) is homage to water margin and the Political theater is warring state/Rot3k inspired. Also, it did game of throne b4 game of throne was a pop-culture hit.

The Art of War is pretty short, you can probably finish it in an evening, maximum 2.

Interesting, Idk that. Maybe I will try that then.

I have that Nausicaa set too! Suprised they never made the 2nd half into animation. I'm also currently readin Berserk for the 1st time with Dark Horses new Deluxe Volumes - Art is insane and my friend tells me it only gets more detailed :p

I still do read one or two graphic novel every new moon. For some reason, the pictures really helps substitute a thousand words for me, making reading them much more palatable.

these two are on my plate atm.

after.png
march.png

If you count audio books as “reading” then yes, I still read. Seeing how my hobbies are really time demanding, I simply do not have enough time to add physical copies of books into the equation. Still need to find a place that has audio books of Japanese works though like Legend of the Galactic Heroes, Dirty Pair, and The Heroic Legend of Arsland.

Last edited:
Back