Is Ryo's model from Shenmue 1 the same as the one in Shenmue 2?

the_phoenix_mirror

10 years early.
Favourite title
Shenmue II
Currently playing
Daytona USA Iraq version
I know this post seems pointless but I was curious because Ryo's model in Shenmue I seems kinda different to Shenmue II's.

Is his face not modeled any differently in Shenmue II? I always felt like he had kind of sharper, tighter facial features in the sequel, but if it’s exactly the same, I guess it’s just an optical illusion for me.

The face had different lipsyncing from my personal observations although same detail iirc. The overall model has thicker cuffs and collar on the jacket and the denim has a slightly nicer texture.

Shenmue 2x jacket always threw me off when I'd play once in awhile before the HD releases :D

Is his face not modeled any differently in Shenmue II? I always felt like he had kind of sharper, tighter facial features in the sequel, but if it’s exactly the same, I guess it’s just an optical illusion for me.
I didn't want to say anything for fear of sounding like a moron, but yeah, I've felt like his face looked a little different between 1 and 2 for a while now. I couldn't tell you what has actually changed, though. Glad it's not just me after all.

I found a video by Bluemue where he compares the darts minigame in Shenmue I & II and during the video you can see Ryo's face in both games at the same time.

I found a video by Bluemue where he compares the darts minigame in Shenmue I & II and during the video you can see Ryo's face in both games at the same time.

Untitled.png

I don't know how much is simply due to differences in angle and lighting, but the geometry in his eyelids/eyes look like they MIGHT be a little different? Same with the mouth/lips?? If I wanted to get a little crazy I might even wonder if the jaw geometry is a little different???

And of course there's an obvious difference in skin tone + the brown of Ryo's eyes only showing in 2, but this could very well just be down to lighting differences. Are there any instances in 1 where we can see the brown in his eyes? Aside from the passport model, obviously.

Here is Ryo's character model from both S1 and S2 placed on top of eachother, the selected (white outline) model is the S1 Ryo model and the blue-ish coloured outline model is the S2 Ryo.

1627947091183.png

Here they are side-by-side (S1 Ryo on left; S2 Ryo on right):

1627947139003.png

Ignore the minor graphical issue on the jacket, it's a rendering issue with the application I'm using for previews.

The jacket is definitely thicker on the S2 model and the face is definitely slightly different.

Thanks for extracting the models LemonHaze it's much easier to point out the differences! One thing I noticed was the texture on Ryo's shoulders the flag type thing is a completely different size.

Thanks for extracting the models LemonHaze it's much easier to point out the differences! One thing I noticed was the texture on Ryo's shoulders the flag type thing is a completely different size.
Also the patch in front is changed, I’m pretty sure I recall an article from @Switch who catalogs the changes and also what the S3 model uses.

Here is Ryo's character model from both S1 and S2 placed on top of eachother, the selected (white outline) model is the S1 Ryo model and the blue-ish coloured outline model is the S2 Ryo.

View attachment 12454

View attachment 12455

Ignore the minor graphical issue on the jacket, it's a rendering issue with the application I'm using for previews.

The jacket is definitely thicker on the S2 model and the face is definitely slightly different.
Thanks for sharing. I always thought Ryo’s arms/shoulders looked a bit bulkier in the second game but wondered whether I might be imagining it due to the models appearing more or less identical. It’s nice to know that I wasn’t imagining it.

View attachment 12454

View attachment 12455

Maybe I am crazy or misremembering things but I felt like Shenmue 2 model on Dreamcast had different skin texture for Ryo and include minor blemishes/indentations. Look at this shot and to right of band-aid to see what I mean and compare to original model.

1627960683623.jpeg

Of course I defer to someone who’s actually looking at model in isolation and accompanying texture packs/skins.

Maybe I am crazy or misremembering things but I felt like Shenmue 2 model on Dreamcast had different skin texture for Ryo and include minor blemishes/indentations. Look at this shot and to right of band-aid to see what I mean and compare to original model.

View attachment 12457

Of course I defer to someone who’s actually looking at model in isolation and accompanying texture packs/skins.
I could be mistaken, but I always felt like a lot of the differences between Ryo’s appearance across the first two games were caused by the differences in the way that each game handled lighting. The second game often felt a lot darker and this in turn altered the perceived tone of Ryo’s skin quite a bit, at least for me, anyway.

I'm not sure if it's the warping of the patch in LemonHaze's post, but if I recall correctly there was also a point on his jacket that stuck out slightly in S2 but that was corrected in the Xbox version.

I know this thread should be dead, but I think I also found out Ryo's model is different from the xbox and dreamcast version of Shenmue II look at the wrist. Ryo's jacket is more round in the xbox version.

Screenshot_20211121-172419_YouTube.jpg
I'm also pretty sure that the patches on Ryo jacket is different from the xbox and dreamcast version of II. Credits to Bluemue for this video wouldn't of got this pic otherwise.

I played the first two on the Dreamcast, so I just assumed they looked different because they changed actor 🤷‍♂️

Back