Is the kanji on Shenmue 1 really hard to read on the Dreamcast?

I just recently bought Shenmue 1 Japanese edition to help me learn and keep me motivated with Japanese. The US version was great and all and I was even able to learn some Japanese by looking up what was on the billboards and signs around town. But now I want a bit more. I currently do not have the best TV I admit, but even on the US version on a worse TV back then when the game first came out I could read the English words for captions and the Japanese kanji from the signs.

I am having a real problem reading most of the Japanese in the game now however, even from the menus and diary of all things. And when I mean "read", I mean make out what ever it is it's trying to be. A lot looks all crammed together like fine print. I doubt it would be suitable for even a Japanese native. There is only so much one can gleam and assume it is suppose to be due to what ever else could be read around it. Reading the kana off the screen is easy, it's the kanji itself that is the problem.

So before I go out of my way to upgrade my TV for basically this one purpose of possibly seeing it better, is the kanji just hard to read on any TV from a game made back in 1999 or is it really just my TV which happens to be an RCA TruFlat Model: 20F511T. Or do I need a Japanese TV (for any number of reasons) or an older TV to properly see what is on there? Thank you.

Back