Is there anyway to use the Dreamcast subtitles for the Japanese voiceover for Shenmue II?

Favourite title
Shenmue II
I noticed that with the re-release, Shenmue II uses the English Xbox subtitles for both the English and Japanese voiceover instead of having the Dreamcast Japanese subtitles for the Japanese voiceover and the English Xbox subtitles for the English voiceover.

Is there anyway to somehow mod the original Dreamcast subtitles into the PC version of the re-release? If so, is this difficult to accomplish?

Thanks. 🙂

Yes actually, it just means that either a tool would need to be written or the lines of dialogue would need to be manually edited. It's not difficult at all though, by any means. The majority of the work has also been done for this kind of thing.

Actually, this stuff for the HD re-releases is arguably better than the original solution that AM2 came up with (that's not to say that the original solution on DC wasn't good enough btw). d3t's solution was to compile a single file with every string of text and then just have different versions for the different languages. Way better than having to edit random satellite files found within cutscene directories etc etc. :)

Newer version: https://www.nexusmods.com/shenmue2/mods/9
The subtitles for the wiretapper tapes were missing so I have added those plus a couple of other fixes. Also:
  • Dreamcast voice timings: a fix for the occasional awkward pauses during conversations with npcs.
  • Dreamcast dialogue during Free Quest mode (same voice tracks being used).
  • Different notebook font with arrows, stars (fortune tellers symbol), and proper indentation, as in the Dreamcast version. The loading screen and moves list font is also a little bit different.

Attachments

• 20200912181256_1.jpg
    20200912181256_1.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 15
  • 20200914130401_1.jpg
    20200914130401_1.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 15
  • 20200905164232_1.jpg
    20200905164232_1.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 15
The subtitles for the wiretapper tapes were missing so I have added those plus a couple of other fixes. Also:
  • Dreamcast voice timings: a fix for the occasional awkward pauses during conversations with npcs.
  • Different notebook font with arrows, stars (fortune tellers symbol), and proper indentation, as in the Dreamcast version. The loading screen and moves list font is also a little bit different.

Thanks dude!

I noticed on the Joy introduction cutscene that the subtitles were all jumbled up, the dialogue subtitles would just randomly choose a line from the cutscene. This is from the first version you posted, haven't tried this yet. 🙂

You should make this a proper native mod and create your own TAD/TAC.

Thanks dude!

I noticed on the Joy introduction cutscene that the subtitles were all jumbled up, the dialogue subtitles would just randomly choose a line from the cutscene. This is from the first version you posted, haven't tried this yet. 🙂
Thanks for the heads-up. That should be fixed now.
You should make this a proper native mod and create your own TAD/TAC.
Is it problematic to change the common.tad? It's just to use the japanese fonts instead, if I copy them into their own tac/tad the mod is ~250MB bigger, which is not really a big deal but since the files are already there...

Is it problematic to change the common.tad? It's just to use the japanese fonts instead, if I copy them into their own tac/tad the mod is ~250MB bigger, which is not really a big deal but since the files are already there...

Good question. I'll try to answer it as simplistic as possible:

TAD/TAC are an archive container format presumably created by d3t. When the game boots, the game looks at the timestamp and filename etc of each TAD/TAC pair found in the archives folder. Whichever TAD/TAC is the latest, gets read in that order. For this reason, TAD/TACs are how d3t patched the game.

The main advantage behind creating your own TAD/TAC? Well, you're modifying game content the way d3t implemented this kinda thing. Meaning you can neatly put your mod files in your own TAD/TAC file, drop them into the standard "archives" folder and that's it. Mod installed.

So problematic? I'd say that your current version is pretty close to being a 'full native mod' and given that, I'd say "probably not so problematic" but then in the overall picture of things, I'd say it's problematic in the sense that if we wanted this mod on PS4, we might need to do some changes.. or...

I have a mod manager releasing very soon and native mods are a lot easier to manage than stuff which tries to change a few bytes in one of the TAD/TACs and would love to have your mod in it.

I love the work and effort etc, really good job. Of course, I could do it for you, or you could do it, whichever is best really.

I also noticed, there's no text for the stats on the Moves Scroll. Where it would say Power, Speed and Rigid and show bars next to them, none of the text appears.

I wanted to ask you a question about the guts of Shenmue II since you've probably had a deep dive with creating this awesome mod.
Do you happen to know where the Jet Cola texture files are stored for the areas where the Jet Cola vending machines appear?

I'm using the Original Textures mod so I have the Sapporo vending machine textures from the original Dreamcast and Xbox release and I do want to keep those, but I want to replace the Jet Cola vending machine textures found in Fortunes Pier and some other areas with the Coca-Cola vending machine textures from the original Japanese version of Shenmue I.

I wanted to ask you a question about the guts of Shenmue II since you've probably had a deep dive with creating this awesome mod.
Do you happen to know where the Jet Cola texture files are stored for the areas where the Jet Cola vending machines appear?

I'm using the Original Textures mod so I have the Sapporo vending machine textures from the original Dreamcast and Xbox release and I do want to keep those, but I want to replace the Jet Cola vending machine textures found in Fortunes Pier and some other areas with the Coca-Cola vending machine textures from the original Japanese version of Shenmue I.
I had it already done for S1 and this was basically the same, so there it is. Don't use the original textures mod anymore, this one already has d3t overrides removed.

Edit:
I've fixed the price tags so now they're in $. Even the vanilla jet-cola shows the price wrongly in yens before interacting with it, which I hadn't realized til now.

And yes, it has the original Xbox textures (Sapporo, and so on) plus Coca-cola instead of Jet Cola.

Attachments

• cokeS2.zip
    626 KB · Views: 9
  • 20200918205934_1.jpg
    20200918205934_1.jpg
    179.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 20200918210340_1.jpg
    20200918210340_1.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
I had it already done for S1 and this was basically the same, so there it is. Don't use the original textures mod anymore, this one already has d3t overrides removed.

Wow! Thank you so much!

So I remove the original textures mod and install this?
This mod reverts back to the original textures from the Dreamcast/Xbox release and has Coca-Cola machines replacing the Jet Cola machines?

Back