Is there enough enthusiasm for a Shenmue 4?

That guy is a grade A twat. He was saying the game was a flop and then when I politely quoted some sources around Gamestat being shit and some known sales figures he/she turned around and said he doesn't believe me because I'm clearly biased to Shenmue III. I am biased, 100%, but when you quote known sources you'd think people would listen.

Not this guy lol. In the end I questioned where he left his brain and he got upset.

Damn it, I couldn’t help myself and went into the comments to see what this guy is all about. Jesus Christ the guy is an absolute knob jockey. What on earth is going through this guy’s head! And not for a second do I believe he put in 2k. What a prick.

Is there right now? Maybe not.

But there will defintely be if they finally manage to get at least some not-entirely-amateurish-and-inept marketing campaign behind the project and to make it look unquestionably good in screenshots and videos.

Won't be if they do another Kickstarter! If it looks good though and has a publisher behind it and teases some good story stuff, good gameplay stuff (throws back in, counter attacks back in) and they confirm the removal of the stamina system (or separate it from the health system) then yes.

I personally feel like if Yu Suzuki does an interview and tells the fans directly that he is going to conclude the story in Shenmue 4 and focus mainly on only story telling elements(with slim to none(none preferred, unless it directly ties to a storyline objective) on the forklifts, gambling, fishing and other BS distractions)I believe those that are disappointed in Shenmue 3 will push for Shenmue 4 with similar enthusiasm, perhaps with very few exceptions of those that are completely disgusted and said there's no going back for them. It's time to wrap up the Shenmue story, waiting 21 years is long enough. For those that enjoyed toy capsule machines, forklifts, gambling and the other lesser parts of Shenmue 1 and 2 they got their fix with Shenmue 3 while the rest of us that wanted heavy story progression got maybe 5% story progress from the start to the end of Shenmue 3. I have no issue with the ending of S3 personally either, unless it doesn't flesh out completely in Shenmue 4. If Shenmue 3 had released 10 years ago, and Shenmue 4 in 2019 I wouldn't have minded a Shenmue 5, but at this point I want to see it completed. From what I've personally seen online, most fans who haven't fully walked away want two things out of Shenmue 4: the franchise to be completed with this release(or bare minimal massive story progression)and they don't want to wait 18 years for it to release!(2-3 tops is reasonable).
Pretty much in the same boat. For the most part I enjoyed playing Shenmue III but the ending was a bit of a bummer. Just want the series to end so badly. If Shenmue 4 was announced to be the last game, I'll back it like I did with 3 where I bought 3 copies. If not, standard edition.

Pretty much in the same boat. For the most part I enjoyed playing Shenmue III but the ending was a bit of a bummer. Just want the series to end so badly. If Shenmue 4 was announced to be the last game, I'll back it like I did with 3 where I bought 3 copies. If not, standard edition.
Whilst I concluding the story with S4 would obviously remove the uncertainty as to whether or not the story will ever be concluded, I really hope that Yu opts against taking the easy way out and sticks with his plan to wrap the game up with the fifth entry.

There are far too many plot points left to wrap up satisfyingly in a single game and a few plot points that are yet to be introduced. Sure, if S4 performs the same way that S3 did it would probably kill the series for good (at least in game form), but I truly believe that if S4 is a good game with a compelling story, there should be enough momentum to see out the series with a fifth entry.

It’s a risk, but I think I’d rather see the story left uncompleted than end up with another half-baked game that completely destroys the Shenmue legacy while also failing to satisfy fans in terms of the narrative. Maybe that’s just me though.

I think that what we need to reignite the enthusiasm is an stage announcement with a good trailer, that's all. Also some clarity aboyt if S4 is the ending or if we also need S5 they go the clear way and announce both at the same time. But a good teaser trailer is key.

I think that what we need to reignite the enthusiasm is an stage announcement with a good trailer, that's all. Also some clarity aboyt if S4 is the ending or if we also need S5 they go the clear way and announce both at the same time. But a good teaser trailer is key.
Assuming they pick a bit more story into it, they shouldn’t have as much trouble creating compelling trailers.

I was really shocked with how subpar the trailers for S3 were, but having now played the game, I can see that they didn’t really have much to work with.

Assuming they pick a bit more story into it, they shouldn’t have as much trouble creating compelling trailers.

I was really shocked with how subpar the trailers for S3 were, but having now played the game, I can see that they didn’t really have much to work with.
The only good ones were the Mood one, that should have been the one used in 2017 and the Launch one that basically used all key story points in the game. I think they need to hire a Marketing Lead, and a really good one

The only good ones were the Mood one, that should have been the one used in 2017 and the Launch one that basically used all key story points in the game. I think they need to hire a Marketing Lead, and a really good one
I still think they’d be better off with a quick release announcement this time around. They could ride the hype from the announcement right up to the release window and would only have to worry about creating one or two high quality trailers rather than managing a long term marketing campaign with unfinished assets. Unfortunately, I think fan demand will end up forcing their hand and we’ll end up with a similar marketing campaign to last time.

I still think they’d be better off with a quick release announcement this time around. They could ride the hype from the announcement right up to the release window and would only have to worry about creating one or two high quality trailers rather than managing a long term marketing campaign with unfinished assets. Unfortunately, I think fan demand will end up forcing their hand and we’ll end up with a similar marketing campaign to last time.
This is where I think they need to basically shut off from the wider fanbase, take on board the criticism of Shenmue III, announce 4 & then basically go into a bunker and make what they want to make.

This is where I think they need to basically shut off from the wider fanbase, take on board the criticism of Shenmue III, announce 4 & then basically go into a bunker and make what they want to make.
Whilst I agree that announcing the game would relieve the pressure (to announce the game), it would bring with it a new pressure where not only fans are on their backs about progress, but also publications.

I suppose going radio silent after announcing S4 could serve to create intrigue and mystery, but it also allows expectations for the game and launch trailer to grow. If there is no announcement, there is no expectation and no pressure to produce. There’s no pressure to decide a launch date (budget allowing) and no pressure to meet said release date if things go slower than planned.

I appreciate that it’s not typically the ‘done’ thing in the video game industry, but unless there’s something major that I’m missing, I definitely see more upsides than down.

I’d liken it to the way Apple deals with product releases. They announce that a presentation will take place, speculation begins to grow about what might be announced, they release the information and then shortly afterwards the products are on the shelves.

No, I wouldn't say there's as much excitement. But that's understandable. Shenmue III released less than 4 months ago. I'm sure some people on Dojo have yet to finish it or even play it. And when you consider the critical reception, well of course there'll be less excitement. But considering the investment from all parties involved, it'd be weird to not go for 4 as soon as possible. In fact, I don't see them waiting too long. YsNet need to keep people working and employed. And Shenmue 4 wont cut out with Shenmue 3 visuals in 5 years. In 2... that'll be harsh but not that much.

Whilst I concluding the story with S4 would obviously remove the uncertainty as to whether or not the story will ever be concluded, I really hope that Yu opts against taking the easy way out and sticks with his plan to wrap the game up with the fifth entry.

There are far too many plot points left to wrap up satisfyingly in a single game and a few plot points that are yet to be introduced. Sure, if S4 performs the same way that S3 did it would probably kill the series for good (at least in game form), but I truly believe that if S4 is a good game with a compelling story, there should be enough momentum to see out the series with a fifth entry.

It’s a risk, but I think I’d rather see the story left uncompleted than end up with another half-baked game that completely destroys the Shenmue legacy while also failing to satisfy fans in terms of the narrative. Maybe that’s just me though.
Thing is though, the story doesn't really have to be sacrificed if you're making a "half-baked" game. The story, for the most part, is the writing and what happens. Not necessarily how it happens during the game.

1. Who Killed Sunming Zhao and if it was Iwao, why?
  2. What treasure do the mirrors lead to?
  3. Does Ryo avenge his father?
  4. How are Ryo's friends doing back home?
Answer the above and I'll be satisfied. Though it had its flaws, Shenmue III proved you can make a good Shenmue game, on a modest budget and not feel that you are missing anything. The problems with Shenmue III were largely due to direction and not budget. The jokes, tone and lack of character development for me foretells a bleak Shenmue future, critically and/or commercially, if the plan is to take it beyond 4 games.

Thing is though, the story doesn't really have to be sacrificed if you're making a "half-baked" game. The story, for the most part, is the writing and what happens. Not necessarily how it happens during the game.

1. Who Killed Sunming Zhao and if it was Iwao, why?
  2. What treasure do the mirrors lead to?
  3. Does Ryo avenge his father?
  4. How are Ryo's friends doing back home?
Answer the above and I'll be satisfied. Though it had its flaws, Shenmue III proved you can make a good Shenmue game, on a modest budget and not feel that you are missing anything. The problems with Shenmue III were largely due to direction and not budget. The jokes, tone and lack of character development for me foretells a bleak Shenmue future, critically and/or commercially, if the plan is to take it beyond 4 games.
If it’s rushed and not properly fleshed out, it would make a huge difference to me. Moreover, I think there’s a lot more to wrap up than just those 4 points.

1. Who is Tentai? Who has been pulling Lan Di’s strings for all these years.
2. Who is Shenhua? What are her powers? How is she connected to the mirrors?
3. Who is the 4th CYM leader?
4. Will Ziming return to the light or was he fully corrupted by the Chi You Men? Will he reunite with his sister?
5. What is Zu Yuanda’s significance in all of this? Can he be trusted?
6. What do the mirrors do?
7. What happened in Meng Cun?
8. Will Ryo continue along the path to vengeance or will he have a change of heart?
9. Will Lan Di change when he learns that he has been manipulated or is he beyond saving? Does he want the mirrors for himself or is he only seeking them on behalf of his master?
10. What will happen to Niao Sun after her betrayal? Is she not the de facto leader of the CYM? Will we see a warring factions situation moving forwards?
11. What happened to the people that Ryo left behind? Is Tom still selling hotdogs? Does Nozomi like Canada? Is Fuku-san still a total tool? Will Goro ever make an honest woman out of Mei?

These are just some of the questions that I have off the top of my head. I’m sure if I put a bit of time into it I could think of plenty more.

Do you think they could do all of these storylines justice in a single game the length of S3 (especially considering that 80% of S3 was padding).

If it’s rushed and not properly fleshed out, it would make a huge difference to me. Moreover, I think there’s a lot more to wrap up than just those 4 points.

1. Who is Tentai? Who has been pulling Lan Di’s strings for all these years.
2. Who is Shenhua? What are her powers? How is she connected to the mirrors?
3. Who is the 4th CYM leader?
4. Will Ziming return to the light or was he fully corrupted by the Chi You Men? Will he reunite with his sister?
5. What is Zu Yuanda’s significance in all of this? Can he be trusted?
6. What do the mirrors do?
7. What happened in Meng Cun?
8. Will Ryo continue along the path to vengeance or will he have a change of heart?
9. Will Lan Di change when he learns that he has been manipulated or is he beyond saving? Does he want the mirrors for himself or is he only seeking them on behalf of his master?
10. What will happen to Niao Sun after her betrayal? Is she not the de facto leader of the CYM? Will we see a warring factions situation moving forwards?
11. What happened to the people that Ryo left behind? Is Tom still selling hotdogs? Does Nozomi like Canada? Is Fuku-san still a total tool? Will Goro ever make an honest woman out of Mei?

These are just some of the questions that I have off the top of my head. I’m sure if I put a bit of time into it I could think of plenty more.

Do you think they could do all of these storylines justice in a single game the length of S3 (especially considering that 80% of S3 was padding).

I generally agree with you and your post, but I'm going to nitpick a little.

First, I don't think they are obliged to answer some of the mysteries that have not been introduced in the games, like Tentei or other Chi you men leaders existing. We, as hardcore fans, know them because they have been mentioned in interviews and promotional events, but I wouldn't mind if they were cut to improve the overall story and flow of the games. Just like we know some locations were already cut in previous games (like the train segment for example). That would cancel #1 and #3.

In addition, I wouldn't care for #5 and #11 either. As much as I loved those old characters like Tom, Nozomi, Fuku-san or even Zhu Yuanda, I think their story arcs are completely done and I wouldn't invest main resources on them. Side-content like the telephone calls of III are nice, though. Aside from characters currently in the spotlight like Ren or Niao Sun, I think only Xiuying has any significant story threads pending.

I think @David De ville made an interesting post about all the characters and antagonists that have been hinted, discussed or seen in media and how at the current pace there’s no way for Ryo’s skills to realistically progress fast enough to adequately defeat them. So unless there’s a time skip, I think some of those characters will have to omitted or cut.

In addition, I wouldn't care for #5 and #11 either. As much as I loved those old characters like Tom, Nozomi, Fuku-san or even Zhu Yuanda, I think their story arcs are completely done and I wouldn't invest main resources on them. Side-content like the telephone calls of III are nice, though. Aside from characters currently in the spotlight like Ren or Niao Sun, I think only Xiuying has any significant story threads pending.

I agree with the exception of Zhu Yuanda. He’s really been pivitol character behind the scenes driving a lot of the action of all three games. With the DLC (some like myself believing it was meant to be part of the main game) I wouldn’t be surprised if he reappears or we hear from him in any further entries.

I can guarantee one thing, if Yu gets the chance to do Shenmue 4... he will probably counter the main complaint of S3 having almost no story to probably doubling down on story.

They would need a mind blowing trailer. Its going to be a serious uphill battle. The damage was done by many of the people trying their hardest to shit on the game and see it fail. Combined with decent to not so good reviews of 3, I would expect a modest response to an announcement and trailer with a few more eye rolls. I think they should show some gameplay that's being pretty polished or the CG needs to be extremely polished aka no mannequin faces and "work in progress" at the bottom

I personally still think about it all the time, but I don’t think Shenmue 3 was well received enough by most existing fans.

Back