Is there enough enthusiasm for a Shenmue 4?

No worries. It felt as though your initial post was directed towards me as it came directly after my post and didn’t contain any quotes that suggested otherwise. As I found the tone a little condescending, I replied in a similar fashion which, in hindsight, was perhaps a little childish, so my apologies for that.

Comments like ‘game sucks’ might not be constructive themselves, but I still think they’re important as a metric for gauging the overall satisfaction of the fan base as a whole. Sure, they’d be a lot more helpful if they explained what exactly they thought sucked and why the posters felt that way, but ignoring or even prohibiting these kind of comments could be detrimental to the series moving forwards.

History has shown us that the future of the series is, in some part at least, reliant on the enthusiasm of the fan base and acknowledging their issues and addressing them where possible may well be a factor in determining whether or not we see a fourth or fifth game.
I think the biggest issue is lack of story, and from what I've seen, I feel like the majority of the negativity felt towards the game is because of that as well. I loved the game, but had the "that's it?" feeling after the credits rolled. I do think it sets up Shenmue IV well though, as it is likely it will start with an action packed chapter upon getting to the cliff temple, and probably getting a lot more story right off the bat. For better or for worse, that's what we have right now. And the good news is, they nailed the environments, and have plenty of mini games and other things that they could just copy and paste if they wanted to. Although, I'd love it if they added in Darts 7, Neo Darts, pool, Big Or Small, street fighting, arm wrestling, the SEGA arcade games and capsule toys, etc.

How many is many? Do you have any figures to prove that many people simply wanted to help out the developer or the fanbase?

No. But do we have figures to prove they were all just people who wanted the game? :unsure: :rolleyes:

No. But do we have figures to prove they were all just people who wanted the game? :unsure: :rolleyes:
No, but common sense will tell one that people likely arent going to support a kickstarter for a video game simply because they respect the developer or want to see the fanbase happy. It's a kickstarter for a video game, not repairs for a community center or funeral costs. So it's a pretty strong claim say it's been established that any meaningful number of people donated to the game outside of reasons relating to wanting the game. Those who donated just because they wanted to see Yu Suzuki and the shenmue fanbase get another chance at success is likely less than 10 percent. And those who did donate for those reasons likely weren't putting much money down either.

I was one of those people, I maxed out everything I had at the time as a college graduate going into his first year of teaching, which wasn't much. My total pledge by the time of the Slacker Backer was $900 something.

No, but common sense will tell one that people likely arent going to support a kickstarter for a video game simply because they respect the developer or want to see the fanbase happy. It's a kickstarter for a video game, not repairs for a community center or funeral costs. So it's a pretty strong claim say it's been established that any meaningful number of people donated to the game outside of reasons relating to wanting the game. Those who donated just because they wanted to see Yu Suzuki and the shenmue fanbase get another chance at success is likely less than 10 percent. And those who did donate for those reasons likely weren't putting much money down either.

I think you're forgetting that Shenmue 3 was shown at the biggest video game conference on earth - E3. On Sony's stage. It's a niche title. You honestly think Kickstarter crashed just from fans who wanted the game? As much as I love the franchise, I'm gonna say no. A lot of the donations would have come from people who were intrigued, wanted to help support the series etc. One of my friends backs Kickstarters just because he is bored with today's cookie cutter releases, for instants.

Personally I just wonder how Shenmue 4 will play out moving forward. I think Deep Silver's parent company said the game performed fine, but they recognized that it is and will always be a niche title. I wonder if some parts will be made into a more linear combat progression of levels, especially since we're on the great wall of china now.

But is Shenmue a niche title? Compared to Call of Duty yes but the original games sold over a million copies on one of the poorest selling consoles. You fix the story and throw a bit more money behind it and there's no reason why it can't be as niche as the likes of Yakuza or Heavy Rain.

But is Shenmue a niche title? Compared to Call of Duty yes but the original games sold over a million copies on one of the poorest selling consoles. You fix the story and throw a bit more money behind it and there's no reason why it can't be as niche as the likes of Yakuza or Heavy Rain.

Back then it wasn't a niche title. Today it's absolutely a niche title. Magnificent, but niche.

Give me a fancy picture book. I don't want another game, I just want the story.
You were able to forgive the train wreck that was GOT season 8 enough to sign up using that username and yet you can’t see far enough past S3’s flaws to want the series to continue in its intended form? What heresy is this?!

The story in Shenmue 3 wasn’t even that bad. Ryo just kind of forgot about the Dragon (mirror).

Yes, and he also forgot about the second Shenmue tree and the prophecy poem and also he forgot to ask people in Bailu why his father was murdered and what happened in Bailu while Iwao was there. He also forgot about Yuan's letter and he also seems to have forgotten about Chai and about Lan Di's real name. And the four Wude. :D

Other than that, the storytelling in S3 was pretty ok.

;)

Yes, and he also forgot about the second Shenmue tree and the prophecy poem and also he forgot to ask people in Bailu why his father was murdered and what happened in Bailu while Iwao was there. He also forgot about Yuan's letter and he also seems to have forgotten about Chai and about Lan Di's real name. And the four Wude. :D

;)
Second Shenmue tree?

Yes it’s in Ternary Springs, the one where you meet Master Feng and see Iwao’s training mark.

Proceeding this cutscene it lists it as a Shenmue tree in your notebook.
Whaaaaaaa? I didn't know that was a Shenmue tree, I thought it just looked like a cherry blossom tree. Now it makes sense why it's one of Shenhua's favorite places. Suzuki has some explainin' to do; how many other trees are there, etc.

You were able to forgive the train wreck that was GOT season 8 enough to sign up using that username and yet you can’t see far enough past S3’s flaws to want the series to continue in its intended form? What heresy is this?!

The story in Shenmue 3 wasn’t even that bad. Ryo just kind of forgot about the Dragon (mirror).
It's not happening man! Not in my life time..

Since you brought up Game of Thrones. That had a book version before they made it a TV show. Same thing with Lord of the Rings in cinema.Maybe we can get a Shenmue book, before we get the games. And then everybody wins. I don't wanna wait for another game, which might not ever happen. Sorry..

I'd be totally fine with just a book, or an animated series, before we get the game. Hell, it might even help get further games made.

;)

I imagine your memory wouldn't be so top notch after 18 years sat in a dank cave, with nothing to eat but bat droppings.

Last edited:

;)
To be fair, he did talk to the elders of the village, each about Iwao and Zhao. Just didn't get much. The prophecy and tree (s), I think are going to be coming back in future games, just looking at things like Shenhua's birthplace, which also seemingly has one. The letter...this was the one that bothered me the most. The conversation with Yuan at the end of the game felt so empty. Ryo didn't attempt to clarify hardly anything.

Chai and Lan Di...and for that matter, the tree by Feng's house...I am interested to know if @Switch could translate some of these conversations again from Japanese and see if we get any new context or something. We know the localization was pretty subpar, and I'd be interested if some of these issues might be helped out a little with better translation.

It's not happening man! Not in my life time..

Since you brought up Game of Thrones. That had a book version before they made it a TV show. Same thing with Lord of the Rings in cinema.Maybe we can get a Shenmue book, before we get the games. And then everybody wins. I don't wanna wait for another game, which might not ever happen. Sorry..

I'd be totally fine with just a book, or an animated series, before we get the game. Hell, it might even help get further games made.
I know. I’m still waiting for the last two (although at this point I’ve kind of given up hope that he’s ever going to write them).

Personally, I think Shenmue should be a game or it shouldn’t be anything. Luckily, I’m fairly certain that 4 is already in the works.

I know. I’m still waiting for the last two (although at this point I’ve kind of given up hope that he’s ever going to write them).

Personally, I think Shenmue should be a game or it shouldn’t be anything. Luckily, I’m fairly certain that 4 is already in the works.
Agreed. I think some people are unhappy with something, and want others to be unhappy too. It's very selfish.

"If I didn't like the game, nobody else should and they shouldn't get a game"

Back