It is weird that Yu-San was so unwilling to give any message about Shenmue4 in Shenmue3

I replayed Shenmue3 in the past two days. I think that Yu-San can remake the CG of Project Berkley and put it in the end of ShenmueIII. It will make fans feel excited about the next-stage story about the mirrors and the treasure of Qing Dynasty, also the ShenHua secret ability.
Possibly, in another way, Yu-San can put some fragment about the future story of Shenmue IV in the dream cutscene in Shenmue III, or just make XiuYing appears in the great wall cutscene ending.
If Yu-san did not develop Shenmue IV in the past two years, it is so weird that Yu-San even do not wanna tell any fragment of the future story of ShenmueIV in Shenmue III.
For example, SE put many strange nonsense cutscene in FFVII remake. It did not help players understand the story of FFVII, but make players and core fans are so excited about the next game of FFVII remake

Suzuki from what we understand couldn’t even provide the ending he wanted in Shenmue 3 (Old Castle was rejigged and elements cut according to Cedric), so asking for anything beyond that seems like wishful thinking.

I mean even if you look at the early Shenemue design document, discounting Baisha got completely removed originally there was going to be a boss battle with Niao Sun and other Chiyomen leader. It’s clear the end game was a product of a lot of compromises, and I think that’s particularly reflected in the story and lack of substantial progress with some of the core mythology.

Suzuki from what we understand couldn’t even provide the ending he wanted in Shenmue 3 (Old Castle was rejigged and elements cut according to Cedric), so asking for anything beyond that seems like wishful thinking.

I mean even if you look at the early Shenemue design document, discounting Baisha got completely removed originally there was going to be a boss battle with Niao Sun and other Chiyomen leader. It’s clear the end game was a product of a lot of compromises, and I think that’s particularly reflected in the story and lack of substantial progress with some of the core mythology.
I know Shenmue3 cuts lots of content. But I think Yu-San can put some nonsense image or cutscene in Ryo's dream or anything like FFVII REMAKE.
Even the DLC did not give any info about the next stage story, it looks weird.
Yu San never tell the next stage story of Shenmue3 in the past 20 years. Maybe he is keeping the secret that he is developing Shenmue IV.

Last edited:
Shenmue (I+II) was a very ambitious game, Sega funded the game but it went way over budget. So, in the end it had to be released in the state it was in no matter what. Luckily there was a lot of things completed within the game so all was good.

Shenmue 3 also went beyond it's scheduled release date, so, again sacrifices had to be made to complete it in a timely manner. But this time the game didn't have the luxury of an ever increasing budget as it was crowdfunded. I imagine resources were put into getting the game finished first, rather than make features/movies that may or may not be used in the finished game.

I'm optimistic that there will be a 4th game, but I think more care will be taken with the game which will take more time to get things right. With a smaller budget it can make things much more difficult.

Back