Iwao Hazuki and Zhao Sunming. Ryo and Lan Di.

Totally cool that you perceive it as that.

In reality, it is either Ren or a child or something; notice that Ren's headband is not on Ryo's head in 9 and appears in 10, holding the incapacitated person.

All of us have theories, but this one has a bit of beef behind it.

As for the fathers' connection, I can't comment on that now; so many things have happened and things haven't been answered, etc.

My own personal thought, is that the Zhang DLC will expand on Zhao Sunming a bit.

Just my own theory.
Out of curiosity why do you think the Zhang DLC will have anything to do with anything other than Zhang? I mean I hope so too, just why do you think that ? :-)

My thoughts are that Zhang is 100% tied to Zhu Yuanda; without Zhu, Zhang is an inconsequential character and not necessary to the story.

Given that Zhu was Zhao Sunming's best friend and Zhang making another appearance, even if it is just *1* line of dialogue, I have a thought and a feeling that it will shed some light on the situation.

Again, just my gut here; it could be something completely different!

It’s always been my theory that Iwao was forced to kill Sunming because he ended up getting possessed by Chi You (or some evil spirit related to the mirrors-and that the scene with Ryo and Fuku-san when Ryo first finds the Phoenix mirror will actually end up foreshadowing this revelation)

Yes I think many of us felt or speculated something similar at the end of Shenmue 2.

While Shenmue 3 doesn’t provide substantial new information regarding Sunming, it does add some interesting additional details. We are told Sunming wanted to retrieve the mirrors from the Cliff Temple before it fell into the hands of the Chi You Men, most importantly the mirrors were entrusted to him. By who? That remains unknown but the fact Lan Di was adopted and raised by the Chi You Men right after his fathers death point to foul play. Was Lan Di mislead and manipulated by Chi You Men about who really killed his father? Right now that seems like the way the story is hinting.

I do sometimes wonder if Suzuki could be as daring as making Iwao the murder (even under just reasons) and let this character who really has been mythologized in the story at this point be less than perfect. It could be interesting seeing Ryo grappling with the fact his father was a killer and in dealing with that question his quest for revenge.

I do sometimes wonder if Suzuki could be as daring as making Iwao the murder (even under just reasons) and let this character who really has been mythologized in the story at this point be less than perfect. It could be interesting seeing Ryo grappling with the fact his father was a killer and in dealing with that question his quest for revenge.

He already stood up and said, "Father would never kill anyone!" "I'd like to believe that's true, but the fact is that Zhao died and Iwao took Zhao's mirrors back to Japan." (paraphrasing Zhu Yuanda with the second quote).

Thus, I think it is fresh in Ryo's mind of the possibility that his father indeed killed Zhao, but obviously, it hasn't been confirmed yet.

We'll see in IV, for sure.

I recon its Ryo lifting himself in the picture.
Interesting, why you think it is Ryo lifting himself in the picture?

Last edited:
I have a theory but it involves information from Shenmue 3 and from a past interview with Yu, so I'll hide it behind a spoiler tag.

My theory after playing through 3 was that it felt like the Chi You Men killed Zhao Sunming and twisted the truth in their favour. They told Lan Di (as he was raised by the Chi You) that Iwao killed his father so he'd retrieve the mirrors for them.
Perhaps Iwao and Zhao discovered the mirrors and Zhao was killed in the process, leaving Iwao to flee with the mirrors.
Yu-san already stated in an interview that the "feeling of revenge will completely disappear" so I believe it could be possible that Lan Di finds out that he was decieved and this is where Ryo and Lan Di make some kind of amends.

I have a theory but it involves information from Shenmue 3 and from a past interview with Yu, so I'll hide it behind a spoiler tag.

My theory after playing through 3 was that it felt like the Chi You Men killed Zhao Sunming and twisted the truth in their favour. They told Lan Di (as he was raised by the Chi You) that Iwao killed his father so he'd retrieve the mirrors for them.
Perhaps Iwao and Zhao discovered the mirrors and Zhao was killed in the process, leaving Iwao to flee with the mirrors.
Yu-san already stated in an interview that the "feeling of revenge will completely disappear" so I believe it could be possible that Lan Di finds out that he was decieved and this is where Ryo and Lan Di make some kind of amends.

That sounds like a very plausible theory. I thought one piece of information I referenced earlier assuming the translation is accurate, that most people missed was that it was said Zhao was entrusted the mirrors because the Chi You Men were after them. Entrusted by who? It’s very likely Iwao was either there or knew what was happening. How Iwao eventually gained possession of the mirrors and who killed Zhao are all intrinsically linked.

Back