Japanese Music

The Blue Hearts - TRAIN TRAIN
YMCK
The 5,6,7,8's
Glay
Guitar Vader
Wanna say Initial D Eurobeat but I'll retract that lol...

If you got a Sega Saturn just get Xjapan Virtual Shock and thank me later.... See if you can spot my South African twin brother who guards the lift...

Basically it's a musical FMV interactive experience.

This is also pure genius, btw.

Just listen to anything by Haruomi Hosono.

Anyone heard of KOWICHI?

It's not the greatest, but some tracks are catchy.

Her Name in Blood -- Been showing up on my iPhone lately.

Bridear -- Another fave at the moment. As you can see, I tend to lean towards metal :D

One of the best psych rock bands around!

I saw Kikagaku Muyo at Le Guess Who? festival in Utrecht a couple of years ago and they were great!

As for me... the main one is B'z (probably the best selling band in Japan). I love them so much, but am sad that they don't allow their music outside of Japan the way other bands do making them a pain to collect (their last two blu-ray's set me back over £100!)

And I adore Boris (named as boris or BORIS depending on what type of album they do...everything from drone metal to J-pop). I love that the guitarist (Wata) does such terrifying noise, yet all her posts are about Pokémon or guitar pedals!

An example of regular BORIS

Drone boris (there are 3 versions of this song, but went for the live version as it is INSANE)

I also love weepy piano ballads. B'z do a lot of them, but as finding their music is such a pain, i'll go for this beautiful song by supercell

Finally - because no Japanese thread is complete with awesome anime music...

I've always wanted to listen to more music from the East, be it art music, pop, or whatever. I'll start sifting through these as I have time. Thanks all.

The only real Japanese music I have is the Shenmue soundtrack. :)

Since I tend to be a fan of traditional Japanese music and culture, I absolutely adore Enka.

I've been on a Jpop kick (esp. city pop) once again. If you're into it as well, I've found two great channels:

1. City Pop and New Jack Swing
Releases mostly singles, but a good/nuanced selection and he takes requests.

2. Xerf Spec
Usually releases full albums, such as this fine thing with an obnoxious opener that would put Red Hot Chili Peppers to shame:

As I creep back in the dojo due to some Shenmue IV thoughts (so too, to be honest: I've missed you lot!), I recently came across the works of Kenjiro Sakiya.
Nice piano/synth stuff here; this track in particular comes across as something that could've inspired the EU/JP Sonic CD soundtrack:

Back