Judgement Series

I don't think Yagami is a great lead if I'm honest, he's certainly no Ichiban. The supporting cast carry it.

I can't relate to Yagami at all. He looks like a 45 year old, dresses like a 20 year old, has the moral righteousness of a 70 year old (i mean, he don't half bang on about how morally righteous he is in the final chapters) , his method of transport is a Skateboard and he hangs around with school kids, lawyers and Yakuza. The guy is just plain weird
Maybe it's just my subconscious jealousy as a PC-only lashing out (no really, go on and have fun without me guys... it's fine...), but I did always find his appearance a bit strange. I'm not saying he looks like an old man or anything, but he's clearly an adult. And his clothes, at least imo, very much look like something only seen on teenagers (or more specifically, 90's/2000's teenagers as Truck alluded to).

I don't necessarily think it's bad, though. It does make his skateboard riding and dog walking that much funnier, and adds a bit of that hard-to-quantify SEGA campy charm imo.

Finished Lost Judgment with 19 hours on the clock - total completion - 13% :eek:

I did pretty much mainline the story though. Plenty of game there as it is!

Pretty good overall, but I don't think I'd play a third one. I don't think Yagami is a great lead if I'm honest, he's certainly no Ichiban. The supporting cast carry it.

I can't relate to Yagami at all. He looks like a 45 year old, dresses like a 20 year old, has the moral righteousness of a 70 year old (i mean, he don't half bang on about how morally righteous he is in the final chapters) , his method of transport is a Skateboard and he hangs around with school kids, lawyers and Yakuza. The guy is just plain weird

Kaito and the supporting cast are great though. I'd like to see them crop up again.
You'll appreciate the character more if you're familiar with Kimutaku's work, more specifically "Long Vacation" and "Hero."

Up to Chapter 10 and this plot is PHENOMENAL (have I said that enough? lol).

As I've also said a few times, totally see the POV where people wouldn't like this as much as the first; the first is more relatable/realistic to an adult, whereas this plot has more of an adolescent vibe (and not just because of the High School setting for half the game; bullying and all that it entails, is still very much a young person's affliction and less of an issue for adults); these last 4 chapters will be a ride and I can't wait :D.

My father cancelled our fishing day on Saturday at the 11th hour (I was to leave to meet him at 6:45; he called me at 6:37 to tell me not to bother. Was pissed-off), so I spent a LARGE portion of the day with the game and as such, was able to complete the squirrels, finally use my 500,000 SP to upgrade, as I was starting to struggle a tad with the fights lol (I'm not playing on one of the easys either) and complete a bit more TownGo (which I won't be doing fully, but still will do as much as I can).

Have completed 3.5/5 for Drone Racing (which I still don't like very much) and then I believe at that point, all I have left is 2 or 3 Side Cases (and Amon, of course), getting the rest of the skills and the main story, then I should be done! Looks like I should hit my goal of completing it by this Saturday.

Man, I really dig the boxing style. Almost to the point where I can’t imagine playing the first game without it. It’s not particularly interesting either, and far less flashy than tiger, crane, and snake. But I think it’s the (relatively) grounded nature of the style that gets me.

Ready to face Amon and then finish up the story, when I get home today from work, so it looks like I will be able to get it done by this weekend! :D

I think this may the first title in the series where I'll go back in Premium, just to do a bit of trophy cleanup. Or, I may just get the ExHard trophy and replay everything, we'll see, especially since the extra trophies for the DLC are stupid-easy to get (for now lol), I will probably get the DLC in a few days after this weekend.

I can honestly say that the writers have made the villains in this series, MUCH more-evil and reprehensible, than the villains in the main RGG series;
Soma
is a complete POS, just like
Kuroiwa
was.

Bring on Amon!

Just started Chapter 11 of Judgment last night. I'm about 25 hours in and holy crap. Great story but I totally misjudged (pun intended) how long it would take to beat this game.

Well I beat Lost Judgement yesterday and total playtime was 75:28: with 88% completion, I think that's damn good :D. These are LONG games :D

Not gonna bother with all skills and all gear trophies, because (as I've mentioned numerous times), I'm not that great at the combat in these games, the Ultimate Battle/Skill/Gauntlet/Whatever you want to call them, I suck HARD at and you need to complete them all to get those trophies, so **** that. Am going to go back and do the girlfriends trophies (I got the DLC yesterday) and get the last record, plus I may just run through Ex-Hard, as there's nothing extra that needs to be unlocked or modified.

My thoughts on Lost Judgement...

An incredible title, easily one of the best in the series, it gripped me from the word go (well, the Kosuke thing was a bit... meh, but I was gripped immediately after that intro!) and I love crime dramas in games (not so much in films, but certain ones pique my interest).

The gameplay is just as good as the original, if not better (I personally deem it to be better), with not only more to do, but more EFFECTIVE ways of doing things and not so much thrown at you that it's ridiculous. The side content with the school was just wonderfully-implemented and another effective way to implement differing gameplay and keep the plot going on different paths than the main story proper. Tons to do, it all works and it adds to the game? Nearly perfect.

Graphics are the same as RGG7, so while still fantastic, there are better-looking games on current (and last, given that PS4 is now last) gen consoles, so not quite a model of perfection here, but still great stuff. Animations are excellent and some wonderful uses of in-game lighting and effects, made things so realistic. This is also the second or third straight game in the series, where I had 0 camera issues throughout the entirety of the game (they happened all the time in earlier titles, but it has never bothered me; just a note to bring up) and the character models, as well as the locations, all look incredibly-detailed like always. A lot more colour was used in this game too, which is highlighted by a comment on the YT video for the game's opening (it was the trailer vid), in that (paraphrasing), "Judge Eyes: We keep it black and white to show you our effects. Lost Judgement: Ah hell, let's just throw in a ton of colours." :LOL:

Soundtrack isn't bad, per se (no game in the series has bad tunes), but I feel there aren't as many memorable tracks and they did reuse tunes (as I mentioned in the VGM thread, not a bad thing), so perhaps a bit more-effort could be put in here? I have to give the full soundtrack a proper listen this weekend, however, while I download my favourite selections. Voice acting is still absolutely phenomenal; I was moved last night in the final chapter scenes, with just how well everyone did on the Japanese side (I don't play dubbed) and the principal as well (too bad he doesn't make an appearance after chapter 8; his voice actor was tremendous): so much emotion, so much energy, everything was authentic and so well-done. Great use of sfx as well, like always; this and 'mue have some of the most-memorable and iconic sounds in their respective genres, IMO.

Replay is great like always, but it's actually EVEN BETTER, as 75 hours spent on 0 and Hokuto ga Gotoku, netted me 66%, and 68%, respectively, so it falls in-line with its predecessor, Kiwami 2, Kiwami and 6 (7 I platinumed, but that took me 107 hours). TownGo really is the big time sink, as you need to do a lot, but the side stuff actually doesn't take up a ton of time at all and that makes is even more-enjoyable.

Which brings me to the best thing about the game; the story/plot/events/whatever you wish to call it. I'm doubling down on people not liking it as much (for those that do), because they can't relate to the subject matter as much. Regardless of how your background is, this plot is just fantastic and it shows phenomenal characterisation for Yagami, putting the law and what is just (not necessarily morals, as was mentioned on the previous page of posts) above all else, while admitting that indeed things do need be looked at as more than just black and white (which I something I have been preaching for nearly a decade now, to my peers and others IRL). Bullying has been a major issue for decades (as Tsukumo says in the game, it has been around and documented since the, "Caveman days)" and as someone who lived it for a good 5 years of his life (stopped around grade 7 or 12 years old), the message of the plot as a whole, resonated with me to death. The effectiveness in the writing however, as well as how the plot was conveyed through actions and events, was done so perfectly; it's as if the writers were telling all of our (us, who were bullied) stories, of being bullied and how we coped with it. Sadly though, especially in a country with the highest suicide rate in the world, they told a story of how bad things can get, how damaged a human being can be and how hard it is to overcome and be rejuvinated again... and they threw in government involvement as well, which just added extra layers to things, increasing the amount of stakeholders and what was at stake, all without diluting or straying away from the central aesop, that bullying is more-than wrong and that nothing comes from it but heartache, sadness and loss, to the bully-ee (I know, not a word) and those around them.

The game gets an absolute (rounded) 10/10 from me and I will post my thoughts on how it fits with the series on a whole, in the main thread.

I REALLY hope they continue this spinoff series, but perhaps with the issues with Kimutaku's agency, maybe they can spinoff another setting with the old guard? Or perhaps the new? We'll see.

Can't wait to write the review this weekend :D

Last edited:

I made my own video review of Lost Judgment now that I've beaten it. I also address the PC issue due to "contractual issues."

Ok. I finally beat the first Judgment. 32.25 hours and I basically skipped the girlfriends after the first and a few side missions. My one gripe is the running being inconsistent. Other than that, great game.

Great story. Happy with the ending. I'll pick up the sequel eventually but need a break.

I stopped playing Lost Judgment after 35 hours because after almost 10 years,
i wanted to buy a new monitor. (i only used a 300€ 24" monitor for everything this whole time)
Sadly, all of them in a price range of 400-700€
arent that great if you want 4K + HDR
(there is almost no real full HDR on PC monitors, except if you want to pay 2000€ for 27-32")
so i had to return three of them in two months and didnt really play anything that whole time.
And now i just went for a more expensive TV instead and it arrived yesterday.
So now i can finally start catching up again.

Haven't had any experience with the series, so picked up Judgement for the PS5 and put a few hours in. Really enjoying it, even though I am still only on the first chapter, but of course got side-tracked by the arcades, and trying to complete everything in the KamuroGo phone app already. Hopefully will play it a bit more over the weekend (since my time to play games is now very limited.), but there is no way I will 100% the game. After 20 years, I will never understand how to play Mahjong, or any of those other Japanese games.

Mahjong isn't too difficult, thankfully :)

It's just a touch slow/clunky on the RGG games, compared to the app I have had on my phone for 6 years now.

Even though I really enjoy it, it is almost (ALMOST!) a 100% game of luck and I hate games where I have little to no control.

Maquipai was my favorite Dreamcast home brew game for awhile :D

Is there a way to make easy money in the game? I know I am supposed to follow the story (I am not out of chapter 1) but I enjoy the mini games and challenges. Kind of addicted to them actually. But things like baseball are killing my finances and I keep going broke. Bought a figurine for my mate and that also made me skint.

Back