General RGG Discussion

Wonder if it takes place in the same universe as Yakuza as a side story of sorts, hence the similarities.

That or I'm just a noob who needs to stop theorising about a series he hasn't played.

pretty sure its the same universe. i mean you can even see the mascot of onomichi from Yakuza 6 in the trailer.
and you probably wont see Kiryu or Majima but im sure there will be side missions like "did you hear about this dragon of dojima guy?"

http://www.seganerds.com/2018/09/10...d-a-legal-suspense-action-game-headed-to-ps4/

From the looks of this site, the Tojo clan are involved so it’s a Yakuza spin off

Also confirmed the Japanese site. The setting is referred to as Kamurocho as opposed to Kabukicho.

It turns out Yagami’s father was a lawyer but his parents were killed when he was 15.

After a client that Yagami helped was caught stabbing and burning his girlfriend, that’s when his life went to shit. The game takes place 3 years after the incident and he works odd jobs as a private eye

Last edited:
I. Am. In. Love.

I may struggle with this, but I'm pre-ordering the second it becomes available.

Hell yes.

The sneaking and investigating already have my interest piqued. Don't think saying it is a Yakuza cloe does justice only because it has the fight engine and same town (how are these bad things?).

This new IP looks interesting as hell. I think im putting my order of Kiwami 2 on hold. Graphically it looks better than every Yakuza and since it has no ties to the story i can jump in without knowing the past games story. This is the time for me.

The game is part of the Yakuza canon. The official site states Kamurocho, and Kimutaku interacts with members of the Tojo kai
Damn. Seems like it isn't totally cut off from the past games. Im wondering if you need deep knowledge of the earlier games or just a surface level knowledge that i could google.

Probably won't.

Gameplay mechanics also seem different, though in the same vein as the Yakuza titles.

This has been on my mind since last night lol and it won't go away!

It looks great , but then so did LA Noir and look how that turned out ...

I like games set in Japan but wont be playing this if it stays a PS4 exclusive

It will be, barring a fluke.

Casting Kimura in relation to the Japanese market is really a HUGE deal. So it’s going to be an instant seller there. I’m a huge fan of some of his dramas like Hero and Beautiful Life. I also enjoyed his days in SMAP as well.

As for him being a former lawyer, where did he learn those crazy fighting skills?

Where did Akiyama get his skills from, being a finance guy? ;)

I honestly think it's a great idea to use Kamurocho as a setting for more games with different characters and stories. The city has been as much of a character in all of the games as Kiryu, so it'd be really cool to see perspectives from other inhabitants of the city.

If there are enough changes made to the city to keep it fresh, then I wouldn't mind playing 10 more games set there.

Eh, as someone who's been playing these games since 2005, I'm personally pretty burnt out on it. If they do something based far in the past (far enough that the look and layout could be massively different) then I'd be fine with more Kamurocho, but as it is I'm more on the side of feeling a bit over it.
Like you say, the place has been as much of a character in the Yakuza series as Kazuma... but now that Kazuma is over and done with, Kamurocho probably should be too. Or at least, there should be less focus on it.

It's not even a city, really; it's a district.
The city is Tokyo.
It'd be nice to see some story content moving across other areas of Tokyo, rather than acting like the entire universe revolves around this one single area.

I see what you're saying. I've been playing since the original too, but for some reason, the games taking place time and time again in Kamurocho hasn't bothered me at all. Maybe it's just the Dragon Engine that's swaying my opinion though.

I honestly think it's a great idea to use Kamurocho as a setting for more games with different characters and stories. The city has been as much of a character in all of the games as Kiryu, so it'd be really cool to see perspectives from other inhabitants of the city.
4 fulfilled that itch just fine for me. I'll reserve my final judgement for the game itself but with kamurucho as a setting it just feels like this game could be a chapter in 4 or 5 rather than a standalone title. Like OL said there are so many other places in Tokyo, especially to set the story of a private eye.

Alot of these reasons is why I come back to Yakuza every few years and dont try to play them at once. I feel these new players that just got on board with Y0 are gonna get burnt out fast of Kamurocho (Sega are like a machine putting these out the past few years). There is something fun and nostalgic about returning there, and some they pull it off and avoid the rehash back lash (I mean the lay out has literally never changed in Kamurocho or Sotenbori) Y3 introducing Okinawa mixed things up nicely, but they are going to have to do something else if they want to continue, combat will need revamping soon as well.

I can agree with everything that has been said above.

I side most with Leroy though; while it can be a bit tiresome and rehashed, it indeed is the star of the series, alongside Kiryu.

It especially helps when I know exactly WHERE I have to go and which shops I need to visit, etc.

Yeah, it was a little disappointing it's set in Kamurocho to me as well, it's not like the series hasn't had plenty of different areas though like 6 is also set in Onomichi and 5 was also in 4 other locations as well.

I suppose to get our fix from the studio making something in an entirely new setting from the rest, we'll have Fist of the North Star out soon enough anyway. Hopefully that will lead to Ishin getting released into English. *fingers crossed*

I’d like to see the series take place in Shibuya, Ginza and Asakusa as well.

Or maybe more of Yokohama.

If Judge Eyes gets a sequel, I’m sure we can get more.

we have to wait for the next "real" Yakuza game.
someone at the Yakuza 6 release event asked directly if there will be any new cities or places in Yakuza 7 / Shin Yakuza
and they answered jokingly "well, what do you want to see?"
so maaaayyybe we will get new places to explore with Kazuga Ichiban in the next Yakuza game.

but right now i'm just happy that we get some brand new characters for Judge Eyes.
i really like Kiryu and Majima etc but we have 7 main games with them now
and they are the same characters in the spin off games. so i think its more than enough content for every fan.
its time to get to know some brand new characters.
maybe they chose Kamurocho again, because they just "remastered" it for Yakuza 6 and Kiwami 2 in the Dragon engine
and thought that this is the safest way to go right now. they can put their funds in the story, the actors
and the new features. i'm fine with that.
we always have to remember that Ryu ga Gotoku Studio is not a triple A budget developer.
who knows how expensive those actors are.

Last edited:
Back