Just curious if the overall budget of part 3 is equivalent to a ps4 yakuza games

Who knows? As another user in another thread pointed out, there are several high quality, great looking games that have had small budgets. As we don't know how much the budget actually is, it's hard to say. @ShenmueTree, are you saying Yakuza's voice acting could cost more than Shenmue I/II? Or Shenmue III? Or are you saying Shenmue III's voice acting could cost more than the originals?

Shenmue's VA would definitely cost more.
I would agree with that. 6 is the only game that has everything fully voiced. And I and II obviously have more dialogue, with III possibly having more as well.

I would agree with that. 6 is the only game that has everything fully voiced. And I and II obviously have more dialogue, with III possibly having more as well.
The photo of the script was a thick as a phonebook and it was only one area and only Ryo's lines.

Who knows? As another user in another thread pointed out, there are several high quality, great looking games that have had small budgets. As we don't know how much the budget actually is, it's hard to say. @ShenmueTree, are you saying Yakuza's voice acting could cost more than Shenmue I/II? Or Shenmue III? Or are you saying Shenmue III's voice acting could cost more than the originals?

1. Yakuza is one of SEGA's most popular IP in Japan.
2. Japanese voice actors are very expensive.
3. Yakuza is a AAA game.

Shenmue 3's budget is probably like 20-60 Million all told, with the kickstarter, slacker backer, and private funds.

A AAA game from one of Japan's biggest publishers from one of their biggest IP very likely exceeds that in multitudes of millions.

Yakuza re-uses the same city and character models every time so surely its not that expensive :ROFLMAO:

Yakuza re-uses the same city and character models every time so surely its not that expensive :ROFLMAO:

If only development were that simple. Still got to pay for new VA, new animations, new engine, and to pay developers, in which there are much more than YSnet's Shenmue 3 team, that isn't to mention all the licensing fees.

Yakuza does not take much to develop at all most sources say around 2 to 3 million yen on average. About 25-35 thousand USD. Which seems likely with Yakuza only selling 500k-1million copies on average. They save by reusing assets and engines plus up to 6 VA was only for specific characters.

What's your source on that? Its kind of hard to believe. I'd think the cost of localization alone would exceed that much but if it is true then wow.

1. Yakuza is one of SEGA's most popular IP in Japan.
2. Japanese voice actors are very expensive.
3. Yakuza is a AAA game.

Shenmue 3's budget is probably like 20-60 Million all told, with the kickstarter, slacker backer, and private funds.

A AAA game from one of Japan's biggest publishers from one of their biggest IP very likely exceeds that in multitudes of millions.

Again, as another person pointed out in another thread, there are a lot of "big" games with pretty small budgets throughout gaming history. I would say in general you are probably correct, but we don't know any of this. Nothing factual, just speculation.

What's your source on that? Its kind of hard to believe. I'd think the cost of localization alone would exceed that much but if it is true then wow.
There are a few news sites claiming such one says 185 million but that was for the very original in 2005. These sources likely don't include localization.

Again, as another person pointed out in another thread, there are a lot of "big" games with pretty small budgets throughout gaming history. I would say in general you are probably correct, but we don't know any of this. Nothing factual, just speculation.
Well, of course it's speculation. :)
That's why I said probably but none of us are gonna know for sure less we are working at Sega on Yakuza, and if any of us were we would probably not be allowed to talk about budget due to NDAs.

So guess work is all we got. XD

Shenmue 1 did better than any Yakuza if these numbers are to be believed. It just cost too damn much.

Shenmue 1 did amazing numbers, its just that every Dreamcast owner would have needed to buy like 5 copies to make up for its budget lol.

the first Yakuza game on the PS2 had a budget of 21 mil US dollar. (that was back in 2005, so it would be about 30 mil today)
if i remember correctly, Adam Koralik said that Shenmue 1 & 2 had a total budget of about 35 or 40 mil US dollar
(he said it in one of his latest videos)

its hard to say how big the budget of modern japanese games really is because they dont tell us
but today in the west (US / EU) even 40 mil US dollar is nothing special for a triple A game.
and you have to remember that development teams for games like Resident Evil 7 consist of 100-200 people.

the kickstarter game Kingdom Come Deliverance had a budget of 35 mil US dollar.
i guess if Shenmue 3 gets financial help from Deep Silver they probably have a budget around 10-12 mil maybe?
so probably around the same amount as modern Yakuza games. (Yakuza 5 was a huge game)

both series are not in the high budget sector by todays standards.
the budget of a game like Final Fantasy 15 or Resident Evil 6 is probably ten times bigger.

Last edited:
the first Yakuza game on the PS2 had a budget of 21 mil US dollar. (that was back in 2005, so it would be about 30 mil today)
if i remember correctly, Adam Koralik said that Shenmue 1 & 2 had a total budget of about 35 or 40 mil US dollar
(he said it in one of his latest videos)

its hard to say how big the budget of modern japanese games really is because they dont tell us
but today in the west (US / EU) even 40 mil US dollar is nothing special for a triple A game.
and you have to remember that development teams for games like Resident Evil 7 consist of 100-200 people.

the kickstarter game Kingdom Come Deliverance had a budget of 35 mil US dollar.
i guess if Shenmue 3 gets financial help from Deep Silver they probably have a budget around 10-12 mil maybe?
so probably around the same amount as modern Yakuza games. (Yakuza 5 was a huge game)

both series are not in the high budget sector by todays standards.
the budget of a game like Final Fantasy 15 or Resident Evil 6 is probably ten times bigger.

I think it's more in the 20-30 mil range. I know people still dog on the visuals but they're looking better than what I think 10 mil could do in alpha.

Back