Kena: Bridge of Spirits

Out of curiosity @otbr87, what is your opinion on the Ori and Okami series? They seem like video games right up your alley. Apologies for derailing the thread a bit.

Out of curiosity @otbr87, what is your opinion on the Ori and Okami series? They seem like video games right up your alley. Apologies for derailing the thread a bit.
No worries, always open to talk about new interesting titles. I have played very little of both Ori Will of Wisps(not the other one) and Okami(years ago) and thought both were stylistically attractive, but neither really grabbed me to dig deeper into them. What are your thoughts on both of them?? Anything you think I need to give a second look with them?? For me to truly love a game or franchise I have to feel a deep connection to what the game is trying to say, or if it shows its vulnerability. There are many titles that are entertaining and enjoyable(take GTA 5 for example, solid title and has nice commentary on issues in modern society, but I could have never played it and not really felt like I was missing out on a deep spiritual experience. It's what I call corn syrup entertainment, empty calories...which is cool sometimes for sure!) but these enjoyable titles don't grab at me in any way thats too deep. Then theres stuff like Ori, Okami, Tenchu, The Medium, Tekken and countless other games/franchises that I feel are missing some key component that could take them to the next level spiritually, scientifically, psychologically or all of the above. My handful of games I love in this way are the Shenmue titles first and foremost. I sat out on video games for about 13 years while traveling and didn't even own a TV or console during that time at all, but Shenmue 3 was a "no matter what console, how much it costs I'm going to get it" kind of moment. Mortal Kombat as a whole, but mainly with 9, X and of course the best one 11 has gone from entertainment to a more robust heroes journey for many of the characters. Ghost of Tsushima is hands down the best new franchise I've played since Shenmue came out 20 years ago, amazing heroes journey story and the gameplay is solid. Lastly, the Tomb Raider reboot games. I couldn't stand the original TR games, in fact I thought they were some of the most overrated games from the 90s and 00s when they came out, but the vulnerability they gave Lara Croft and stripping away her false bravado 'badass'/anti-hero persona and making her more real went over really high with me, I didn't expect it or see it coming at all. Outside of those 4 games/franchises very few games pull me in or get me excited beyond a basic entertainment level, and even then there's so much garbage out there in general, more often than not. Kena Bridge of Spirits I have a strong feeling will end up on the list with Shenmue, MK, Ghost and TR.

No worries, always open to talk about new interesting titles. I have played very little of both Ori Will of Wisps(not the other one) and Okami(years ago) and thought both were stylistically attractive, but neither grabbed me to dig deeper into them. What are your thoughts on both of them?? Anything you think I need to give a second look with them?? For me to truly love a game or franchise I have to feel a deep connection to what the game is trying to say, or if it shows its vulnerability. Many titles are entertaining and enjoyable(take GTA 5 for example, a solid title and has a nice commentary on issues in modern society, but I could have never played it and not felt like I was missing out on a deeply spiritual experience. It's what I call corn syrup entertainment, empty calories...which is cool sometimes for sure!) but these enjoyable titles don't grab at me in any way that's too deep. Then there's stuff like Ori, Okami, Tenchu, The Medium, Tekken, and countless other games/franchises that I feel are missing some key components that could take them to the next level spiritually, scientifically, psychologically, or all of the above. My handful of games I love in this way are the Shenmue titles first and foremost. I sat out on video games for about 13 years while traveling and didn't even own a TV or console during that time at all, but Shenmue 3 was a "no matter what console, how much it costs I'm going to get it" kind of moment. Mortal Kombat as a whole, but mainly with 9, X, and of course the best one 11 has gone from entertainment to a more robust heroes journey for many of the characters. Ghost of Tsushima is hands down the best new franchise I've played since Shenmue came out 20 years ago, an amazing hero's journey story, and the gameplay is solid. Lastly, the Tomb Raider reboot games. I couldn't stand the original TR games I thought they were some of the most overrated games from the 90s and 00s when they came out, but the vulnerability they gave Lara Croft and stripping away her false bravado 'badass'/anti-hero persona and making her more real went over really high with me, I didn't expect it or see it coming at all. Outside of those 4 games/franchises very few games pull me in or get me excited beyond a basic entertainment level, and even then there's so much garbage out there in general, more often than not. Kena Bridge of Spirits I have a strong feeling will end up on the list with Shenmue, MK, Ghost, and TR.
In all honesty, I never got into the Ori series so I really can not comment on it. I just thought that due to its atmospheric vibe it would appeal to you in a spiritual sense. As for Okami, I am a fan of that game due to being a fan of Japanese mythology and Asian calligraphy as a whole. I agree with you on Ghost of Tsushima as it is a wonderful title.

To this day, however, there still hasn't been (in my opinion) a more spiritually aware video game series like Shenmue. Or a franchise that has been more faithful to the integrity of martial arts than Virtua Fighter.

In all honesty, I never got into the Ori series so I really can not comment on it. I just thought that due to its atmospheric vibe it would appeal to you in a spiritual sense. As for Okami, I am a fan of that game due to being a fan of Japanese mythology and Asian calligraphy as a whole. I agree with you on Ghost of Tsushima as it is a wonderful title.

To this day, however, there still hasn't been (in my opinion) a more spiritually aware video game series like Shenmue. Or a franchise that has been more faithful to the integrity of martial arts than Virtua Fighter.
I wholeheartedly agree on Shenmue. It's timeless in that regard. I've spent the last few years catching up on all I've missed in gaming over 13 years(which wasn't much TBH)and nothing holds a candle to Shenmue, not even Ghost.

@otbr87 Judging purely by your posts (please correct me if I'm wrong), your taste in gaming seems to be minimalist. Or more concisely, "less is more"; because the video games you do allow into your life, on the whole, tend to have greater meaning and purpose behind them. In other words, quality over quantity.

@otbr87 Judging purely by your posts (please correct me if I'm wrong), your taste in gaming seems to be minimalist. Or more concisely, "less is more"; because the video games you do allow into your life, on the whole, tend to have greater meaning and purpose behind them. In other words, quality over quantity.
Thank You for asking and you're absolutely correct about my taste. I'm that way with almost everything in my life. When I was a kid growing up with video games in my life they basically filled a lot of alone time spent in childhood that should have otherwise been spent with parents and family, had I not come from a broken home and having had to raise myself. So, as a child and teen I allowed a lot more unhealthy energy and patterns into my life by filling up my time and space with meaningless hobbies, which at that time video games was 100% a waste of time...that was until Shenmue 1 came along. Prior to 2019 the last video game I owned on a personal level was GTA 4 for Xbox 360 right when it came out, I had already started traveling heavily(though I wasn't a full timer yet)and was going into new directions in my life in general and took a good hard look at GTA 4 as a measuring stick for time wasting and what society is always trying to push through its main stream media(music, movies, games, fashion, social, etc). GTA in general is entertaining and there's a lot of work put into it, no doubt but it lacks any depth of feeling or any real social commentary(at least until GTA 5 to a certain extent). I find video games as a whole to be a major distraction from real life, and I don't enjoy escapism but rather to submerge myself as deep into reality(outside of mankinds human made neurosis of society that is)as possible. I also love all kinds of art though, so when I see a game like Shenmue, Ghost of Tsushima or Kena from the energy put into it and what I've seen/heard from the creators I stand in awe at what video games have evolved into. On one hand, the amount of absolute trash games out there is bigger than it was 15-30 years ago, on the other hand all of the best franchises I've experienced on a deep level have come since the 2013 generation, except Shenmue. I do appreciate the artistry and creativity of a lot of gaming franchises, you mentioned Virtua Fighter for example. While I personally find VF to be a lower quality Tekken on a pure entertainment level, VF does feel a lot cleaner and more in depth with its martial arts artistry rather than 'edginess is cool', which Tekken doesn't have a lot of, but still more so than VF. It makes sense that VF's energy feels clean because Suzuki was behind it and he doesn't have creep or dark energy as a person. For example, it's the same comparison I always see where Yakuza gets compared to Shenmue, and outside of Asian people being in the games, I do not see any comparison at all. The guy who created Yakuza has horrible energy, the games themselves reflect his creative energy and the modern trope of 'dark bravado is cool' and I don't get into that dynamic at all, and the gameplay itself isn't worthwhile either. I like real characters, with emotion, depth and substance. If I'm looking at things occasionally from a pure entertainment standpoint, then stuff like Sleeping Dogs, Tenchu, GTA 5, Tekken and other games like that are where I may spend a few minutes here and there because they're entertaining and the games aren't completely broken, nor do they push any kind of toxic real life agenda like Call of Duty, Battlefield or other stuff that glorifies real life mental illness and/or idealism that limits growth. Does Call of Duty do a good job replicating war? Sure, they certainly do. Why would people want to play something like that is the question I ask, of course I know its a neurology issue, mind programming and marketing psychology 101 that gets people hooked into games like that. When I see games like Minecraft, PUBG, Fortnite and other low budget looking, low quality looking type stuff I really wonder where the enjoyment comes from those for people. I often wonder if its just the high or sense of control they have over the reality of spending time in that game. Another thing is online multiplayer, which I never spend time with, except Ghost of Tsushima Legends. I love the cooperative play together against the computer, rather than egotistically playing against other people and yelling in the headset the whole time. Video games can be an avenue for us to grow as individuals, as a society and as a community but sadly like much of the mainstream media we consume, its as intentionally dark as anything other outlet, which is sad. Kena looks amazing and I love that its an indie company that isn't afraid to touch the topics of spirituality and quantum physics in a fantasy world. I love a good heroes journey with struggle and strife mixed in as it tells a real life story, I am totally on board with violence in video games when it supports that story and has a direct purpose to the characters growth and the adversity they must overcome. Less is more. Tread lightly but carry a big stick. Reality and art interpreting reality over escapism in most cases. These are my philosophies. Thanks again for your inquiry. What is your preference in gaming, or what type of gamer would you consider yourself?? I'm interested to know, if you'd like to share.

Also @Tsukuyomimagi99 , what games do you love and recommend personally?? I'm always open to checking out new stuff, whether its something that touches your heart, stimulates your mind or is just pure entertainment.

First of all, thank you @otbr87 for sharing your gaming/life philosophy with me. As for what type of gamer I am, my tastes come from several different avenues. The first one being franchises I grew up with as a child, so titles like Sonic, Final Fantasy, Metal Gear, Star Wars, Batman, Legend of Zelda, etc are titles that will automatically catch my attention.

Another avenue is games that emphasize gameplay over everything else. The reason for this is because any media can tell a compelling narrative. The difference between video games and other media is the interactivity. I like playing video games with vast amounts of depth in their mechanics, which is why games like Virtua Fighter appeal to me.

I have stated in the past that I am very interested in Asian culture. So things like martial arts, samurai, shinobi, wuxia, Shintoism, Taoism, Buddhism, etc, greatly appeal to me. That's why I tend to enjoy games like Tenchu, Ghost of Tsushima, Sakuna, Samurai Spirits, Shenmue, Okami, Muramasa the Demon Blade, Aragami, Sekiro, Strider, Shinobido, etc.

As I have grown older, I tend to prefer low fantasy or magic realism over more over-the-top fantasy or science fiction. The main reason being that it makes the fantastical elements more special when they do occur. This is in part, why I love the Shenmue franchise so much.

And finally, I am also a traditional nerd at heart. So I enjoy things like mechs, dark fantasy, Magic the Gathering, Dungeons and Dragons, Metroid, Mobile Suit Gundam, Lord of the Rings, etc. In reality, I am a quiet cynical introvert so stuff that is considered geeky always appealed to me.

For what I would recommend for you, that would be difficult. I would recommend Sakuna of Rice and Ruin if something like Kena appeals to you. It's a game where you play as a fallen Japanese Goddess who spends her days farming for local villagers and fighting off monsters at night. Another one I'd recommend is Journey due to its atmosphere. Finally, I would recommend the first Metroid Prime due to its emphasis on exploration and intricate detail. I don't know though if these titles will match your high standards. (I say that as a compliment by the way).

First of all, thank you @otbr87 for sharing your gaming/life philosophy with me. As for what type of gamer I am, my tastes come from several different avenues. The first one being franchises I grew up with as a child, so titles like Sonic, Final Fantasy, Metal Gear, Star Wars, Batman, Legend of Zelda, etc are titles that will automatically catch my attention.

Another avenue is games that emphasize gameplay over everything else. The reason for this is because any media can tell a compelling narrative. The difference between video games and other media is the interactivity. I like playing video games with vast amounts of depth in their mechanics, which is why games like Virtua Fighter appeal to me.

I have stated in the past that I am very interested in Asian culture. So things like martial arts, samurai, shinobi, wuxia, Shintoism, Taoism, Buddhism, etc, greatly appeal to me. That's why I tend to enjoy games like Tenchu, Ghost of Tsushima, Sakuna, Samurai Spirits, Shenmue, Okami, Muramasa the Demon Blade, Aragami, Sekiro, Strider, Shinobido, etc.

As I have grown older, I tend to prefer low fantasy or magic realism over more over-the-top fantasy or science fiction. The main reason being that it makes the fantastical elements more special when they do occur. This is in part, why I love the Shenmue franchise so much.

And finally, I am also a traditional nerd at heart. So I enjoy things like mechs, dark fantasy, Magic the Gathering, Dungeons and Dragons, Metroid, Mobile Suit Gundam, Lord of the Rings, etc. In reality, I am a quiet cynical introvert so stuff that is considered geeky always appealed to me.

For what I would recommend for you, that would be difficult. I would recommend Sakuna of Rice and Ruin if something like Kena appeals to you. It's a game where you play as a fallen Japanese Goddess who spends her days farming for local villagers and fighting off monsters at night. Another one I'd recommend is Journey due to its atmosphere. Finally, I would recommend the first Metroid Prime due to its emphasis on exploration and intricate detail. I don't know though if these titles will match your high standards. (I say that as a compliment by the way).

I appreciate the detailed response, thanks! I'll comment from top to bottom in my response. Franchises from when I was a kid also goes over well with me on an entertainment level, mainly Sonic. I know there have been many Sonic games that are disappointing, but to be quite honest they are all enjoyable to one level or another because...well..it's Sonic! I was always a Sonic kid over Mario, I never understood the appeal of Mario but I did enjoy that Sonic and Tails were saving the forest creatures and the world from a mad scientist. I feel there's a lot of inspiration there for children. The only thing Sonic related that I really didn't like was Shadow the Hedgehog game, they had to go and make the content darker and edgier just to try and sell some units with that one. If you like stealth games like MGS I'd recommend the Splinter Cell games outside of Blacklist the first 5 are solid titles with solid voice acting and stealth mechanics.

I agree with the interactivity of games. While I did enjoy the first Last of Us game to some degree(in a entertainment cinematic way) I wouldn't say games that tend to play out like that are the best. I think with games like Shenmue the reason I keep coming back (aside from the energy, story and artistry of it) is that it doesn't feel streamlined. The Last of Us 1 is a great example of a 7 out of 10 level of cinematic entertainment, but it doesn't need to be experienced more than once as a game, nor would I watch it more than once if it were a movie. Then of course there's the sequel that is worth skipping altogether. Virtua Fighter 2 was a joy to play on the Sega Saturn when I was a child, I didn't get too much into 3, 4 or 5. Quite honestly, when I'm in the mood for VF I just play Dead or Alive 5 Last Round because they have Pai, Akira, Sarah and some other VF characters mixed in and it feels much more fluid with it being on a newer gen. If you love VF, and aren't already aware I encourage checking out DOA 5 Last Round as it has many of the VF(and Ninja Gaiden)characters in it. Also, DOA 5 and 6 base games are free on PC, Xbox and PS so you can check out the fighting mechanics for free that way and see if you like it, I believe DOA 5 Last Round is on PS Now as well the full edition, though I do think it's the PS3 version.

I too love many aspects of mostly ancient Asian cultures and philosophies so wuxia, samurai, taoism, buddhism and martial arts also appeal to me greatly. The same applies in cinema. Anything Jet Li, Donnie Yen, Zhang Ziyi, Gong Li, Ken Watanabe, Mark Dacascos, etc I'm into. With the exception to Sekiro, I either love, like or respect all of the Asian influenced games you mentioned there. I would like to suggest Sleeping Dogs Definitive Edition as well if you're into Hong Kong cop martial arts type movies like Donnie Yens Flashpoint. Sleeping Dogs is usually around $5 on sale digitally and well worth it.

As for your recommendations Sakuna looks cute and is something I intend to check out. I like the concept of 'before enlightenment chop wood carry water, after enlightenment do the same" type of vibe it gives off. Metroid Prime I never could get into, I do respect Metroid as a whole, and had Metroid 2 on GameBoy in the 90s and enjoyed some time with that title, but something doesn't click on the prime titles. Lastly, I did have a copy of Journey last year and thought it was interesting, though I couldn't bring myself to go too far into it. I actually preferred the game 'Flower' that was on the Journey disc. The simplicity of it was really beautiful.

Thanks again for sharing! If you have any wuxia movies, martial arts movies or Asian movies in general you want to suggest I'd be open to it as I often feel like I'm running out of more to experience as I've seen so many over the years.

@otbr87 I know you are not much of a fan of the anime art style, but I would recommend Eternal Sonata a Japanese Role-Playing Game that takes place in the dreams of Frederick Chopin. Another one is Lost Odyssey, a video game developed by the legendary Hironobu Sakaguchi.

@otbr87 I know you are not much of a fan of the anime art style, but I would recommend Eternal Sonata a Japanese Role-Playing Game that takes place in the dreams of Frederick Chopin. Another one is Lost Odyssey, a video game developed by the legendary Hironobu Sakaguchi.

Eternal Sonata looks like a really interesting premise and the anime visual art style is doable for me if the delivery doesn't feel like anime, unfortunately in my case I wouldn't be able to get beyond the RPG aspects of it. Literally my least favorite style of gameplay outside of real life military games. I appreciate the recommendation though!

I played Lost Odyssey for about 10 minutes many years back, it looks like something that may be worth looking into again.

@Tsukuyomimagi99 here's another game that I recently tried out and thought was interesting. The story line was quite nice and the cutscenes were enjoyable, but the gameplay itself was a bit tedious and janky at times. Not horrible, but not really fun to play. Anyhow it's a PS3 title that's about $7 USD and worth checking out for the story alone. They also made a 2014 CGI movie about it that is currently free on TubiTV website.

@otbr87 sorry for interrumpt I just red your first message.

I divide games in:
- Divine experiences
- Great experiences
- The rest (very good, good, average, bad, etc)

In terms of Divine experiences, I have 2 types:
- AAA
- Indies

AAA Divine experiences imo are:
- Zelda BOTW (never played a Zelda in my life),
- Red Dead Redemption 2 (didnt play RDR1)
- The witcher 3
- Mass effect series (unreacheable, I dont know if this word exists, but if it doesnt, still its the only word that represents my feelings for the series)
- Shenmue series (of course)

In the indies group:
- Journey (like somebody said there)
- VA11-HALL-A (amazing, so chill, loved the music, the characters, I just needed routes)
- Coffe talk (idem VA11-HALL-A but in a coffe store)
- Stardew valley (cute, addictive, well done, take care, this is cocaine)
- Firewatch (really pretty experience)

(btw I dont owned a ps4 and a switch, just pc)

Then there are great games, like Assassins creed last trilogy, Bayonetta, Horizon Zero Down, TR's new trilogy, Nier automata, Ori series, GTAV, Bioshock series (divine experience maybe, at least Bioshock Infinite), Yakuza series, etc.

Ori it's great, but I dont like metroidvanias, so if you dont like those games, you wont consider it divine experiences

I know this games aren't Shenmue, you wont feel "shenmue vibes" but still they are awesome experience like Shenmue as well, specially the divine experience's list. You should give them a try to some of them

Hope this helps a bit.

Last edited:
@otbr87 sorry for interrumpt I just red your first message.

I divide games in:
- Divine experiences
- Great experiences
- The rest (very good, good, average, bad, etc)

In terms of Divine experiences, I have 2 types:
- AAA
- Indies

AAA Divine experiences imo are:
- Zelda BOTW (never played a Zelda in my life),
- Red Dead Redemption 2 (didnt play RDR1)
- The witcher 3
- Mass effect series (unreacheable, I dont know if this word exists, but if it doesnt, still its the only word that represents my feelings for the series)
- Shenmue series (of course)

In the indies group:
- Journey (like somebody said there)
- VA11-HALL-A (amazing, so chill, loved the music, the characters, I just needed routes)
- Coffe talk (idem VA11-HALL-A but in a coffe store)
- Stardew valley (cute, addictive, well done, take care, this is cocaine)
- Firewatch (really pretty experience)

(btw I dont owned a ps4 and a switch, just pc)

Then there are great games, like Assassins creed last trilogy, Bayonetta, Horizon Zero Down, TR's new trilogy, Nier automata, Ori series, GTAV, Bioshock series (divine experience maybe, at least Bioshock Infinite), Yakuza series, etc.

Ori it's great, but I dont like metroidvanias, so if you dont like those games, you wont consider it divine experiences

I know this games aren't Shenmue, you wont feel "shenmue vibes" but still they are awesome experience like Shenmue as well, specially the divine experience's list. You should give them a try to some of them

Hope this helps a bit.
Thank You for your reply and taking the time to share. Zelda BOTW does admittedly look good, but I'm personally not into Nintendo themed games since about 1998 when the first 3 Pokemon games were around on GameBoy. I don't know what it is but I just can't get into any of them since then. Admittedly, BOTW does look solid and I can see the appeal. Red Dead 2 I did try, I find it beautiful graphically and while I do prefer the original RDR1 and even Red Dead Revolver from 2005 to RDR2 a lot of that has to do with the fact that I live in a place where cowboys with that type of mentality still exist, and I even had to play a cowboy at a job years back that took itself way too seriously, so I have very little interest in their culture, but again, the game itself is a solid title for sure. The Witcher 3 I have tried and there was a part of me that wanted to get into it but I just couldn't deal with the combat aspects, it felt a lot like Assassins Creed games to me..lots of potential but something doesn't click. I tried the first Mass Effect for a few minutes and it didn't grab me, but I will reserve judgement as I didn't spend enough time with it to really know anything about it. Firewatch looks interesting from the photos, I'll have to check out the premise and give it a look. The 3 most recent AC games I really wanted to like, but I just couldn't get into them. Odyssey and Valhalla had some nice points but the combat and lackluster stories turned me off. Bayonetta is interesting but I again couldn't get into the combat system or the main character. Horizon Zero Dawn was a huge disappointment, very much. I wanted to like that game so much, and at first I found Aloy to be a nice lead character but as the game progressed the story felt more and more disjointed, the combat system is really bad and Aloy had her moments but often times felt flat to me. I'm bummed out about that because I really was hoping to play that and then go to the sequel when it comes out. New TR trilogy is great, one of the best franchises I've played and easily the best reboot of any kind I've ever played. Nier Automata is a little too anime for me, but I can see the appeal. The Bioshock games are interesting, I actually watched a friend beat Infinite when it came out on the PS3 back during a time where I was traveling and didn't even have a TV or games around me, and I remember thinking how good the graphics looked compared to when I got out of gaming, and yeah the story with Zachary Comstock was something unique for it's time. Yakuza is the only thing on the list here I can't see any redeemable value in but if you like GTA 5 and Yakuza type beat 'em ups with Asian culture I'd suggest giving Sleeping Dogs Definitive Edition a try, it's a much better Yakuza type game with better mechanics and a bit more substance to the plot. I appreciate the suggestions and your feedback!

@Sput Vas Normandy Also, if you enjoyed the TR reboot trilogy a lot I'd suggest giving Uncharted: Lost Legacy a one time play through. It's not a great game 9/10 or 10/10 like the TR reboot trilogy is but its a solid 7 or 7.5 and worth a one time play through. Technically, it's a spin off of the other awful Uncharted games(1, 2, 3 and 4) but it doesn't play anything like the other Uncharted titles and you don't need to play the other 4 to follow the plot as very little connects. Lost Legacy is a stand alone game. Thought this may be of interest if you're into those type of games.

Thank You for your reply and taking the time to share. Zelda BOTW does admittedly look good, but I'm personally not into Nintendo themed games since about 1998 when the first 3 Pokemon games were around on GameBoy. I don't know what it is but I just can't get into any of them since then. Admittedly, BOTW does look solid and I can see the appeal. Red Dead 2 I did try, I find it beautiful graphically and while I do prefer the original RDR1 and even Red Dead Revolver from 2005 to RDR2 a lot of that has to do with the fact that I live in a place where cowboys with that type of mentality still exist, and I even had to play a cowboy at a job years back that took itself way too seriously, so I have very little interest in their culture, but again, the game itself is a solid title for sure. The Witcher 3 I have tried and there was a part of me that wanted to get into it but I just couldn't deal with the combat aspects, it felt a lot like Assassins Creed games to me..lots of potential but something doesn't click. I tried the first Mass Effect for a few minutes and it didn't grab me, but I will reserve judgement as I didn't spend enough time with it to really know anything about it. Firewatch looks interesting from the photos, I'll have to check out the premise and give it a look. The 3 most recent AC games I really wanted to like, but I just couldn't get into them. Odyssey and Valhalla had some nice points but the combat and lackluster stories turned me off. Bayonetta is interesting but I again couldn't get into the combat system or the main character. Horizon Zero Dawn was a huge disappointment, very much. I wanted to like that game so much, and at first I found Aloy to be a nice lead character but as the game progressed the story felt more and more disjointed, the combat system is really bad and Aloy had her moments but often times felt flat to me. I'm bummed out about that because I really was hoping to play that and then go to the sequel when it comes out. New TR trilogy is great, one of the best franchises I've played and easily the best reboot of any kind I've ever played. Nier Automata is a little too anime for me, but I can see the appeal. The Bioshock games are interesting, I actually watched a friend beat Infinite when it came out on the PS3 back during a time where I was traveling and didn't even have a TV or games around me, and I remember thinking how good the graphics looked compared to when I got out of gaming, and yeah the story with Zachary Comstock was something unique for it's time. Yakuza is the only thing on the list here I can't see any redeemable value in but if you like GTA 5 and Yakuza type beat 'em ups with Asian culture I'd suggest giving Sleeping Dogs Definitive Edition a try, it's a much better Yakuza type game with better mechanics and a bit more substance to the plot. I appreciate the suggestions and your feedback!
Zelda: well, my first Nintendo game was Zelda BOTW, so I'm not a fan at all of the franchise or the company. The world looks great, the gameplay it's solid and it's super fun. You should give it a try.

RDR2: About it, maybe that can change your perspective about cowboys (or maybe not, but you could give it a try bc it's outstanding)

The witcher 3: not gonna lie the combat in The witcher 3 it's nothing above the average. Its decent, and thats it, it wont change your life, but the world, the characters, the quests, the side quests, all is magic. For real, you really should try it, it literaly cant fail you. There was a user here, I dont remember his name, that said something like "I tried several times but I dont get into it", I said to him "dude, please, give it one last try, you're doing something wrong, you will fall into it, I promise". He dissapeared like 2 weeks, came back and he said already played like 100 hours lol. For real, it's impossible to fail. Give it a chance, the first part of the world (Velen) can be a bit depressive, because it's a fucking swamp.

Mass effect: look, the gameplay of Mass effect 1 it's super clunky, not gonna lie, you have to rush it a bit. ME1 it's just an introduction. "This is our universe, these are the species, this is the mc, this is the enemy, got it mate? alright, I'll see you in ME2 where the show begins". And technically a lot of important stuff happens in ME1, but still, it's a story so rich that makes it in just an introduction. For real, at the end of the series, I was with a hole in my heart for 2 days. There will be a remaster now, I dont know if they will improove the ME1 gameplay, if they do, you're a lucky boy, because you will enjoy it more. Just wait for the release.

Firewatch it's a really pretty game. It's about a relationship with somebody. Just it. A bit of exploration. A bit of chill. A bit of suspense. But just a friendship/kinda-more. Go for it, it's a safe bet.

Nier automata has pretty graphics, great combat system, great and deep (maybe too deep) story, you should give it a try too.

Bioshock Infinite (plus DLCs) its mindblowing, Idk if you watched the plot. You can give it a try, and actually you dont have to play 1 and 2 to get into it.

You dont like Yakuza series? Did you try 0?

About Uncharted Lost Legacy, I dont have a PS4 so I cant play it :crying:

Zelda: well, my first Nintendo game was Zelda BOTW, so I'm not a fan at all of the franchise or the company. The world looks great, the gameplay it's solid and it's super fun. You should give it a try.

RDR2: About it, maybe that can change your perspective about cowboys (or maybe not, but you could give it a try bc it's outstanding)

The witcher 3: not gonna lie the combat in The witcher 3 it's nothing above the average. Its decent, and thats it, it wont change your life, but the world, the characters, the quests, the side quests, all is magic. For real, you really should try it, it literaly cant fail you. There was a user here, I dont remember his name, that said something like "I tried several times but I dont get into it", I said to him "dude, please, give it one last try, you're doing something wrong, you will fall into it, I promise". He dissapeared like 2 weeks, came back and he said already played like 100 hours lol. For real, it's impossible to fail. Give it a chance, the first part of the world (Velen) can be a bit depressive, because it's a fucking swamp.

Mass effect: look, the gameplay of Mass effect 1 it's super clunky, not gonna lie, you have to rush it a bit. ME1 it's just an introduction. "This is our universe, these are the species, this is the mc, this is the enemy, got it mate? alright, I'll see you in ME2 where the show begins". And technically a lot of important stuff happens in ME1, but still, it's a story so rich that makes it in just an introduction. For real, at the end of the series, I was with a hole in my heart for 2 days. There will be a remaster now, I dont know if they will improove the ME1 gameplay, if they do, you're a lucky boy, because you will enjoy it more. Just wait for the release.

Firewatch it's a really pretty game. It's about a relationship with somebody. Just it. A bit of exploration. A bit of chill. A bit of suspense. But just a friendship/kinda-more. Go for it, it's a safe bet.

Nier automata has pretty graphics, great combat system, great and deep (maybe too deep) story, you should give it a try too.

Bioshock Infinite (plus DLCs) its mindblowing, Idk if you watched the plot. You can give it a try, and actually you dont have to play 1 and 2 to get into it.

You dont like Yakuza series? Did you try 0?

About Uncharted Lost Legacy, I dont have a PS4 so I cant play it :crying:
ZELDA: I actually somewhat enjoyed Starfox Adventures for the GameCube come to think of it. It was the only gamecube exclusive I found worth owning for back when it was current gen. I'm considering BOTW the more I see it. Next Wii U or Switch I get in my inventory I may go out of the way to try it this time.

RDR2: I have played it, and I do respect what it delivers on but it's just not my cup of tea. Rockstar doesn't make any truly bad games, even the ones that aren't at the top of the list like Bully or LA Noire. I'd put RDR2 underneath GTA, Max Payne and Manhunt but probably ahead of everything else they've made.

WITCHER 3: After the bad gameplay I did decide to watch certain parts of this game on Youtube to view the story, it did seem somewhat interesting but I could never connect with it. My experience with Witcher 3 is much like CyberJunk 2077, I had huge anticipation and it just doesn't deliver for me. Granted, Witcher 3 isn't absolute shit like CyberPunk is, but I just can't really get into it.

BIOSHOCK games: I've tried Bioshock 1, 2 and Infinite. I think they're all unique and Infinite was interesting, yet I've never had a desire to go back and give it another go or finish the first two.

YAKUZA: Yeah, I've tried all of them except for the latest Like A Dragon. I cannot stand this franchise as a whole, its the only one we've discussed here that I find to be hot garbage and subpar. I'm not a fan of the guy who created it, the hype, the janky gameplay, the constant comparisons to Shenmue(which it's nothing like Shenmue), the lack of interesting story and the overall energy the franchise puts out.

UNCHARTED LOST LEGACY: It's not worth buying a PS4 to experience, but Ghost of Tsushima 100% IS worth buying a PS4(and even better on PS5) to experience. If you ever end up getting a PS4/PS5 to experience Ghost, then Uncharted LL is worth giving a try as well. Lost Legacy has been in the clearance bins at Walmart for about $5 USD these last few months.

I watched some clips of Kiryu beating criminals up with celery and toilet plungers and thought I'd check out the Yakuza games because I like that sort of wacky stuff, but the three times I've tried to play Yakuza Kiwami (felt like the most logical entry point into this series), I reach the point just after Kiryu leaves prison and put it down for a few months before trying again. Maybe I need to pour some caffeine, force myself to progress a bit further even if the constant cutscenes and crime drama genre isn't my cup of tea at the moment, and then I'll finally have an epiphany and realise its brilliance.

I hate saying this because I know that @Truck_1_0_1_ is super jacked in real life and so he'll likely wipe the floor with my scrawny bitch ass now if we ever cross paths. ☚ī¸

Not at all! I can assure you, I'm wholly non-aggressive, despite me being 6'0 and over 240 pounds (which will be going down soon :D).

That is why my nickname is Truck though; when I was in elementary school, I didn't know how to guard very well in basketball, so I used to just run up to my peers and press them (the basketball term press! lol) and because I stopped growing a year or two later, I was already one of the largest people my age. One of my good friends said one day, "you're so big, you're like a Truck!" And then he kept calling me Truck when we played basketball and eventually everyone started calling me that. Then I made the mistake of introducing my nickname as Truck on the first day of HS and EVERYONE ran with it lol...

Fast forward to Grade 12, we're on rugby tour in the UK and we were facing a local team from Leicester (in Leicester, of course) and within 3 minutes of me coming into the game, I dropped the hooker with a super-clean, textbook tackle... and that only solidified my nickname even more lol.

But yes, not everyone can like every game, so I would never discriminate if you didn't like what I like ;)

Back