Kickstarter is the only way

I don't think that's going to happen. 4 is far from guaranteed too, so I think if they somehow get funding they should go in a different direction and build a conclusion at the cliff temple with the Chi You inner conflict and where the treasure somehow backfires on Sun and her men. Then the second half dealing the threads like Lan Di leading a new army and Xuiying/Ziming to try to get the mirrors again, and if there's a secret relation to be confronted with Shenhua/Lan Di and the old empire.

I mean this is all speculation, but if I were a betting man I guarantee the original concept art will likely be more faithful to eventual story than any fanfic made by fans.

No offense but I hope your wrong. I've been waiting for Guizhang to make another appearance. I wouldn't mind if it was Ryo, Ren, Shenhua and Guizhang the rest of the way. Its not a dealbreaker though.

Again this is only based on what we know but I would be surprised if Guizhang makes a return. I wish @Kiyuu still posted regularly as she may have something to say!

At this point, I think the only real option for funding Shenmue IV is Sega since they still have the final say on if it gets greenlit or not.

There's no greenlight needed from Sega. They loaned Yu the IP with their blessing to get Shenmue 3 made and I'm pretty sure that will be the same case with 4. They don't risk any financial loss and make some money in the process. There's no real reason for them to oppose any future instalments.
Funding will come from whatever partners Yu can secure, not Sega.

I don't know if you consider the phone conversations in Shenmue 3 cannon, but from my recollection it did not sound like Guizhang was planning on catching up with Ryo. Keep in mind his original intent was to help Ryo locate Xuixing and locate Yunda Zhu.

Obviously that has been accomplished and Ryo is further in his adventures so I think moving forward Ren and Shenhua will be Ryo's primary companions.
I think it could be like the battle of Kaer Mohren in Witcher 3, Guzhang wouldn't have to join the adventure, but they could unite some classic characters for a last stand, and a last night before the battle.
I mean this is all speculation, but if I were a betting man I guarantee the original concept art will likely be more faithful to eventual story than any fanfic made by fans.
Faithful might not be better, they're headed to where the key or treasure is in the cliff temple. I don't really think the series needs loads of new towns from the original concept art.

Faithful might not be better, they're headed to where the key or treasure is in the cliff temple. I don't really think the series needs loads of new towns from the original concept art.

If the thread from old forums is still accurate and relevant they indicate the following locations remain; Luoyang, Cang Zhou Miao village, Xi An, Bei Jin and Lou Lan (ancient city).

We are talking in circles at this point as you seem dead set on how you want the games to resolve. I am indicating all the planning, research and comments as recent from Suzuki a few years ago indicate anything but the Cliff Temple being the penultimate location. Keep in mind he wants 2 more games to resolve story, but even if we only get one single final game I would be shocked if it ends at the temple.

If the thread from old forums is still accurate and relevant they indicate the following locations remain; Luoyang, Cang Zhou Miao village, Xi An, Bei Jin and Lou Lan (ancient city).

We are talking in circles at this point as you seem dead set on how you want the games to resolve. I am indicating all the planning, research and comments as recent from Suzuki a few years ago indicate anything but the Cliff Temple being the penultimate location. Keep in mind he wants 2 more games to resolve story, but even if we only get one single final game I would be shocked if it ends at the temple.
I know, I'm just going on a tangent thinking of what locations would be more marketable if 4 has to pitched as the final chapter, and to gather more interest.

There's no greenlight needed from Sega. They loaned Yu the IP with their blessing to get Shenmue 3 made and I'm pretty sure that will be the same case with 4. They don't risk any financial loss and make some money in the process. There's no real reason for them to oppose any future instalments.
Funding will come from whatever partners Yu can secure, not Sega.

I still feel like a small bit of funding from SEGA would go a long way in the development of Shenmue IV. Especially now that there's a working engine and assets created. Would like to see more budgeting spent towards the writing and cinematics to make for a more compelling and consistent story.

I still feel like a small bit of funding from SEGA would go a long way in the development of Shenmue IV. Especially now that there's a working engine and assets created. Would like to see more budgeting spent towards the writing and cinematics to make for a more compelling and consistent story.

Oh I wholeheartedly agree. I've stressed a few times here on the forums how I feel Sega should be putting something into the development pot. But sadly I fear that they won't. Maybe they'll surprise us with Shenmue 4 and put a decent chunk in 🙏

Oh I wholeheartedly agree. I've stressed a few times here on the forums how I feel Sega should be putting something into the development pot. But sadly I fear that they won't. Maybe they'll surprise us with Shenmue 4 and put a decent chunk in 🙏

The one good thing about the Sonic move being such a hit is Sega will be looking at it's franchises that have a compelling narrative. While I love them, I don't think Crazy Taxi or Virtua Fighter would make great movies, but something like Shenmue? Now i know the idea of a Shenmue movie at this point is about as likely as them making Virtua Fighter 6 but it could get fresh eyes to look at the property and see the value in it.

I think the only way Sega would be willing to put funding in Shenmue is if it used the same engine as the Yakuza series(dragon engine). Hopefully at the minimum they'll let Yu use the Sega licenses for arcades, capsule toys, advertisement, skins and cameos. TBH I don't think Sega will do anything though.

I think the only way Sega would be willing to put funding in Shenmue is if it used the same engine as the Yakuza series(dragon engine). Hopefully at the minimum they'll let Yu use the Sega licenses for arcades, capsule toys, advertisement, skins and cameos. TBH I don't think Sega will do anything though.

That would be a dream scenario. I think the character models would look a lot better in the Yakuza engine as they have that distinct "Sega" look.

I honestly prefer the Unreal Engine over the Dragon Engine. And you guys really want to make Shenmue look realistic? Scan some random japanese dude to act as Ryo and turn the whole game into another Yakuza? Or do you think the Dragon Engine can be used for non realistic characters as well?

I honestly prefer the Unreal Engine over the Dragon Engine. And you guys really want to make Shenmue look realistic? Scan some random japanese dude to act as Ryo and turn the whole game into another Yakuza? Or do you think the Dragon Engine can be used for non realistic characters as well?
When I first saw judge eyes (judgement) on display at the Tokyo game show a few years back, my first thought was that Yu should have asked Sega if there was any possibility of him using the dragon engine for Shenmue 3 (I doubt they would have said yes, but worth a shot).

After playing Shenmue 3 however, I think the Unreal Engine was a good choice and aside from some issues with character pop-in (which I think were more down to the team’s inexperience with UE), I don’t think the game was held back in any noticeable way by the choice of engine.

It would be interesting to see what a Shenmue using the dragon engine might have looked like, but I doubt very much that it would have made much of a difference as the game’s major flaws lay more in its design choices than in the technical department.

That would be a dream scenario. I think the character models would look a lot better in the Yakuza engine as they have that distinct "Sega" look.
You can make models look like the yakuza in unreal. Unreal does not restrict you to any art style, heck, it is even open source in case you need to go and implement anything in the core engine if you need to.

You can make models look like the yakuza in unreal. Unreal does not restrict you to any art style, heck, it is even open source in case you need to go and implement anything in the core engine if you need to.

It would be great if Sega could loan YS some tools to port the Virtua Fighter engine to Shenmue's combat in the Unreal Engine. Tekken seems to run great on the UE.

It would be great if Sega could loan YS some tools to port the Virtua Fighter engine to Shenmue's combat in the Unreal Engine. Tekken seems to run great on the UE.
Absolutely, I would love to see the Virtua Fighter engine implemented. It also feels very fitting given its shared history with Shenmue.

I won't say it can't happen, but it's extremely likely that it won't happen simply because Suzuki isn't looking to get it from them. He's said that he doesn't feel the Virtua Fighter combat system was ever the right system for Shenmue.

I won't say it can't happen, but it's extremely likely that it won't happen simply because Suzuki isn't looking to get it from them. He's said that he doesn't feel the Virtua Fighter combat system was ever the right system for Shenmue.
He is right though. VF's combat system was designed for 1v1 fights while Shenmue aims to also have 1 vs many enemy fights. Keeping Shenmue 3 combat and improving it for 4 is a much better choice.

Tekken 6 used its 1v1 combat for scenario campaign which wasn't also a very good idea in my opinion.

He is right though. VF's combat system was designed for 1v1 fights while Shenmue aims to also have 1 vs many enemy fights. Keeping Shenmue 3 combat and improving it for 4 is a much better choice.

Tekken 6 used its 1v1 combat for scenario campaign which wasn't also a very good idea in my opinion.
I agree, even though I like the VF system in the first two games. To your point, though, it's not really a mystery why the Sarah, Wolf, Jeffry and Baihu fights in Kowloon were likely the best in the series.

Back