Kickstarter Project Update #103: A message from Ys Net, Epic Games & Deep Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes punish them for giving Shenmue a Bad rep, reduce PC sales. This is basically the same crap that happened when Shenmue was sold to Xbox and failed badly. They will not blame Epic but the game again.
Another publisher could have done superior work and no We don't own them Shenmue III. Shenmue happened because of us.

just think about how would Shenmue 3 look with all of those handikaps i listed.
without Deep Silver, Shenmue 3 would not look like it does right now.
Suzuki said in a dozen of interviews that he can do all of these improvements because of Deep Silver.
because of Deep Silver, we will receive a better Shenmue 3 experience than even Suzuki imagined!
because of Deep Silver EVERY PLAYER will get a better Shenmue experience.

so do you really want to punish Deep Silver? do you really want to renounce their help
just because you cant play the game on Steam? EVERYONE will be punished for this decision.
do you want to trade a really good Shenmue experience for a worse Shenmue experience
just because of Steam?

just think about it for 2 seconds.
do you really think that the sales numbers would be better?

I liked this reply on kickstarter has some great questions that I wonder if it true.

Please address the following questions in the next update:

- Steam keys for digital backers - we were led to believe we would be getting them right up until several days ago, will we get Steam keys at any point?

- Physical discs for the PC version - Deep Silver say it's just a code in a box now but that's not what was advertised during the campaign, will this be rectified?

- Backer-exclusive $80+ "international phone card (in-game item)" DLC - on PC will us backers ever get our DLC on our preferred platform (Steam)? Many paid extra specifically for it and it's said to be truly exclusive to this campaign, it would be quite the insult to PC backers if it were only available on the Epic Games Store.

- The Season Pass that appeared on the PlayStation Store - are we backers not getting the full game no matter how much we paid? We paid four years ago, many of us paid a lot of money and some even pledged as much as $10,000, why should we backers get less of the game's content than people who pay $74.99 today?

- The Season Pass - does it mean physical backer copies won't contain all of the game's content? I backed several times, each for Collector's Editions, will none of these have the full game on the discs (or "codes in boxes")?

- The Season Pass - will it contain story content? When will this content be released?

- The Season Pass - why the lack of transparency regarding it? Why has it not been mentioned in our Kickstarter updates?

- Backer-exclusive $100+ "trial version" - are we getting this at all? Many people paid extra specifically for it.

- How come non-backers get to try the E3 demo while we backers who contributed $7,000,000 don't even have our trial versions four years into development? The Description for the $100+ pledge tier's trial version: "Be the first anywhere to play Shenmue 3."
I imagine the steam stuff around the phone cards etc will get sorted in one bunch but is a fair question and one that needs clairty.

The season pass stuff. I agree that it should have been mentioned but when we backed the project we backed it knowing the rewards we would get (on the whole). It's the same with all these collectors editions they have been brought out after the kickstarter for sale to the general public. They were never going to be offered to us as we'd already backed for our rewards.

The DLC issue is one that needs some clairty. If there is DLC I imagine we would have to pay for it but the full version of the game we will get. They will define "additional content" as an extra not related to the kickstarter and thus we have no say over it. Also they have to appeal to a wider audience so by releasing these other editions they are trying to do so. Also they know full well Shenmue fans will buy several copies so it is good business (not saying I agree with it) to release these versions. Also some of the top tier KS rewards are awesome, NPC in the game, name in credits, Signed artwork, Capsules that appear in the game, Ryo's Jacket, Corey Marshall voice message. Worth way more than a colectors edition from a shop in terms fo vaule and collectors value.

I'm sorry but people being upset about that are looking for something to complain about here.

The trial version... well that depends. If we get the demo the press had I can see the issue. Not that it fusses me. If they release an extended version that press haven't seen I don't think many can have complaints. Being first to see it would be a gripe for some but most reasonable people would let that pass as long as they got a trial version.

Last edited:
Yeah, so what happened is Yu Suzuki has basically butchered the game and cut it into chunks. Choubu is now DLC, Baisha is now DLC. Capsule toys? You're going to need to purchase virtual currency. Arcade games? Now DLC.

Yeah that's totally what has happened.

Jesus fucking Christ, give me strength!

just think about how would Shenmue 3 look with all of those handikaps i listed.
without Deep Silver, Shenmue 3 would not look like it does right now.
Suzuki said in a dozen of interviews that he can do all of these improvements because of Deep Silver.
because of Deep Silver, we will receive a better Shenmue 3 experience than even Suzuki imagined!
because of Deep Silver EVERY PLAYER will get a better Shenmue experience.

so do you really want to punish Deep Silver? do you really want to renounce their help
just because you cant play the game on Steam? EVERYONE will be punished for this decision.
do you want to trade a really good Shenmue experience for a worse Shenmue experience
just because of Steam?

just think about it for 2 seconds.
do you really think that the sales numbers would be better?
Just reread all the negative comments on youtube, kickstarter and steam Shenmue III forum.
Some people even somehow got a refund with their bank not sure if that was possible.

I don't about you but this is very serious and deeply upset thousands of fans. What they did was disrespectful and damage the community and image of Shenmue, nothing they bring can fix this. Last E3 was a failure.
deep Silver should not be part of Shenmue 4, I rather have Sega handle it.
In business, your relationship with the clients is more important than any temporally budget because fans are the ones that will keep game alive and the ones that brought it back.

do you really think that the sales numbers would be better? Yes it will affect numbers and will give people the wrong idea that this kickstarter abused backers trust, the numbers speak for themselves.

Hopefully they give a steam code to backers so we don't have to listen to this anymore, but it's kinda sad to see these immature whiners get appeased because they cried about it.

It isn't quite so cut and dry. I'm a PS4 backer, but you cannot say one thing and do another, especially when things were written suggesting that one thing was an option. The Fangamer survey was damning.

It isn't a matter of whining--some people went to ludicrous extremes, to be sure, but by and large the concern was very justified.

Yes punish them for giving Shenmue a Bad rep, reduce PC sales. This is basically the same crap that happened when Shenmue was sold to Xbox and failed badly. They will not blame Epic but the game again.
Another publisher could have done superior work and no We don't own them Shenmue III. Shenmue happened because of us.
Shenmue has always had a "Bad rep." The Kickstarter, more specifically, has had a bad rep. There has been negativity and hate thrown at it since before Deep Silver even got involved when everyone misinterpreted Sony's involvement.

Shenmue has always had a "Bad rep." The Kickstarter, more specifically, has had a bad rep. There has been negativity and hate thrown at it since before Deep Silver even got involved when everyone misinterpreted Sony's involvement.
That was different because now the people that backed the money are the ones upset for valid reasons.
They should had asked us before making this decision. It was rude on their part.
I thought this game was made for the fans by the fans but it seems this is not the case. Not only are we not getting access to Demos which we should, but they also stopped asking of survey questions that would impact development and simply closed us out.

Yu Suzuki could hand deliver the games himself and order a year's supply of pizza for each backer affected and those neckbeards will still be complaining.

First complaining about the Kickstarter, then Sony, then the Rewards & Slacker Backer, then Deep Silver, then the Preorder Coins, then the Release date, then the PC Launcher, now they want to Boycott even if they Get Everything! Jesus Saint Mary lol

Last edited:
Just reread all the negative comments on youtube, kickstarter and steam Shenmue III forum.
Some people even somehow got a refund with their bank not sure if that was possible.

I don't about you but this is very serious and deeply upset thousands of fans. What they did was disrespectful and damage the community and image of Shenmue, nothing they bring can fix this. Last E3 was a failure.
In business, your relationship with the clients is more important than any temporally budget because fans are the ones that will keep game alive and the ones that brought it back.

do you really think that the sales numbers would be better? Yes it will affect numbers and will give people the wrong idea that this kickstarter abused backers trust, the numbers speak for themselves.

View attachment 3167

your thoughts about "we can just get help from somewhere else" "just get another publisher" are worthless.

Suzuki started the Kickstarter campaign because there was no other help
and that was the best way to get at least a minimum budget from the fans.
Sega had no interest in Shenmue 3.

so if its so easy to get a different big publisher
and a couple of million dollars from somewhere else, you should tell that to YS Net.
i think they would like to know your magic trick.

Suzuki had trouble to even find ONE publisher.

without Deep Silver, the finished Shenmue 3 would look like it does in the first trailer
+ all of the other handikaps. yes, we would not have the Epic comments
but the game would still get all of the "Kickstarter fail" comments.
and with a graphics quality that looks worse than it does right now,
it would catch way less new players and you can bet that people would be disappointed even here in this forum.
i mean, even now we have discussions about bad graphics - imagine the discussions with even worse graphics.

if you think that without Deep Silver everything would just be better, thats not how it works.

your thoughts about "we can just get help from somewhere else" "just get another publisher" are worthless.

Suzuki started the Kickstarter campaign because there was no other help
and that was the best way to get at least a minimum budget from the fans.
Sega had no interest in Shenmue 3.

so if its so easy to get a different big publisher
and a couple of million dollars from somewhere else, you should tell that to YS Net.
i think they would like to know your magic trick.

Suzuki had trouble to even find ONE publisher.

without Deep Silver, the finished Shenmue 3 would look like it does in the first trailer
+ all of the other handikaps. yes, we would not have the Epic comments
but the game would still get all of the "Kickstarter fail" comments.
and with a graphics quality that looks worse than it does right now,
it would catch way less new players and you can bet that people would be disappointed even here in this forum.
i mean, even now we have discussions about bad graphics - imagine the discussions with even worse graphics.

if you think that without Deep Silver everything would just be better, thats not how it works.
With all due respect, where were Deep Silver before the Kickstarter? They only got involved after seeing the record-breaking success of the Kickstarter. It’s impossible to know with any certainty, but I would be very surprised if other publishers didn’t become interested after finding out that the game was already effectively profitable before development had even begun.

Yes the disappointment is understandable and I seriously hope that the backers will get the keys they voted for. But some People overacted in the Internet. But that did not happen in the dojo. So it would be fair to be super harsh to the People that did some fair criticial Points here in the dojo. I was a bit over ciritical to the People here, my apologies.

The truth is I did not trust the Project that much at all. I did the slacker fully knowing that many of these Things did not went well . I still decided to help Ys net but I was fully aware that it could go terrible wrong.

So I am just glad if they deliver at all. But some fans might have really trusted them and now they are genuinely mad about the epic controversy.

My faith in the People envoled in the Project was just not there. So I saw my Money as donation which maybe could help S3. I trust Yu-San as a developer but as much as businessman. That's why I was sceptical. and had low Standards.

I am more than happy if we get a game at all.

People always overreact on the internet. That does not mean the news isn’t alarming.

With all due respect, where were Deep Silver before the Kickstarter? They only got involved after seeing the record-breaking success of the Kickstarter. It’s impossible to know with any certainty, but I would be very surprised if other publishers didn’t become interested after finding out that the game was already effectively profitable before development had even begun.

that is not true, the "Deep Silver only came on board because of the 6 mil on Kickstarter" fact is not a fact.
Suzuki himself said that the conversation started because Deep Silver / Koch Media
is a official partner of Sega and Koch Media is the distributor for a lot of (japanese) games in Europe.

so where are all of the other great and awesome publishers with their super offers?
Suzuki probably said no to Bandai Namco, Square Enix, EA, Ubisoft, Capcom and Bethesda right?
maybe we can get the help from Rockstar Games next time, they will probably pump 200 mil into Shenmue 4.

that is not true, the "Deep Silver only came on board because of the 6 mil on Kickstarter" fact is not a fact.
Right, that’s why the Deep Silver publishing deal was announced before the Kickstarter. Oh wait...

As you point out, Suzuki approached DS and Koch about publishing Shenmue 3 (as well as numerous other publishers) and they weren’t interested.

More than two years after their initial conversations, Deep Silver suddenly had a change of heart and felt that Shenmue 3 was a great prospect and decided to come on board. It had nothing at all to do with the $7m that fans of the series donated.

View attachment 3167

Agreed. Shenmue is more fan oriented than other franchises as well.

Right, that’s why the Deep Silver publishing deal was announced before the Kickstarter. Oh wait...

As you point out, Suzuki approached DS and Koch about publishing Shenmue 3 (as well as numerous other publishers) and they weren’t interested.

More than two years after their initial conversations, Deep Silver suddenly had a change of heart and felt that Shenmue 3 was a great prospect and decided to come on board. It had nothing at all to do with the $7m that fans of the series donated.

Show me any proof for that. Show me anything where you can clearly see that their conversation
only started because Deep Silver saw that the campaign was making money.
And show me any proof that Suzuki contacted Deep Silver or Koch Media before the KS campaign started but they said no.
Any proof. I mean it seems like you know a lot more behind the scenes stuff than we do.
Thanks.

I'm just repeating what Suzuki said.

Show me any proof for that. Show me anything where you can clearly see that their conversation
only started because Deep Silver saw that the campaign was making money.
And show me any proof that Suzuki contacted Deep Silver or Koch Media before the KS campaign started but they said no.
Any proof. I mean it seems like you know a lot more behind the scenes stuff than we do.
Thanks.

I'm just repeating what Suzuki said.
I’m fairly certain that I recall Yu Suzuki saying in an interview that he approached numerous publishers before resorting to Kickstarter. That said, I’m unable to find the direct quote without investing some serious time as most results for ‘Yu Suzuki’ + ‘publisher’ return stories about the EGS scandal, so I’ll have to put my comments down as conjecture at this point.

I like to think that common sense would suggest that before turning to Kickstarter, YS would have approached publishers and given Koch’s relationship with Sega, they would likely have been one of them.

Even if I found the quotes regarding him approaching publishers to try and secure a deal before kickstarter (I’m 99% sure that I’m not misremembering), he of course doesn’t go into the specifics of who he spoke with and so it would remain speculation.

All we can say for certain is that before the Kickstarter there was not a publisher attached to the project (well, technically there was Sony) and then after the money was raised, one was announced.

I can’t show you proof that the Kickstarter money was what attracted Deep Silver to the project anymore than you can provide proof that it wasn’t. With that in mind, we will have to agree to disagree.

Edit: did a bit more digging and although I was still unable to find a direct quote, the news that Suzuki was seeking a publisher came out in the wake of the Shenmue postmortem back in 2014. We’ll never who he spoke with in the 17 months (possibly longer as we don’t know when he actually began looking) between the postmortem and the Kickstarter reveal, but I would be surprised if Koch/DS were not one of those developers.

Last edited:
I am glad they are taking this into consideration and hope that people get some form of compensation for their grievances. However I know for some it won't be enough no matter what they do. But at least they're attempting to heal the damage and I am sure some of the more reasonable fans will at least be happy. And honestly this couldn't happen soon enough, because I am starting to see comments go the opposite extreme.

Comments like "Because these whiners can't swallow their damn pride and download an app we're going to lose the future of this series!" Sigh I never thought I'd see the community so divided.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back