Kickstarter Update #100 - Shenmue III delayed until November 19th

The best outcome for sales & marketing is a high quality game that reviews well and gets great word of mouth. I don't care about its release date. I think that's silly to think Death Stranding coming out nearly two weeks ahead of it spells death for Shenmue 3. I don't find that convincing. If the game was pushed back to November from August, you'd better believe there's a good reason for it.

I'm not surprised by this delay. The only thing that slightly annoyed me was the timing of such announcement, but I have to say (as an old Shenmue fan) I kinda got used to such things :D ...
Although the decision to push the release date to November might not be the best in terms of competing with other AAA releases, it might be the only viable option for a 2019 release.
Sales might be affected by COD, SW and obviously DS, but keep in mind that a polished Shenmue III will certainly be attractive to those who are looking for the unique experience only delivered through Shenmue.
Let's try to keep optimistic and hope for the best ...

Would've been nice to at least have one new screenshot to go with the delay news, there are better ways to go about announcing such a delay...

Anyway, I'm glad that Suzuki has the resources to extend the development time as he sees fit.

Still getting up in arms about a game's release date in the current market seems really silly. It's not like people actually go out to stores to buy games on launch day anymore. To be perfectly honest, I expect the majority of the sales for Shenmue 3 to be Steam downloads.

Oof. I really didn't think they would do this but alas here we are. I wish they would have released some screenshots or something to make it up a bit.

I had a feeling when they didn't put the release date on the recent trailer that the game was going to be up for a delay. At this rate, we may get Final Fantasy VII remake before Shenmue III. Not confident that it makes the November release date. The timing of releasing this in November couldn't be any worse.

At least we're getting a much more polished game. I wonder how much of this has to do with the game being in an unpresentable state or more to do with the fact that Suzuki doesn't have anyone to keep him in check on when to stop development and put the game out there. I remember reading that was one of the issues with Shenmue I's development was that he wanted to keep on adding new things until Sega basically said enough is enough. Wrap up development.

With that being said, when you combine the Kickstarter crowdfunding, Shibuya Productions, potential Sony involvement, Deep Silver and multiple delays Shenmue III's development costs could end up around 30-40 million when it's all said and done.

So to think that Shenmue III may just match the development costs of Shenmue I and II's 47 million is quite interesting to say the least. That's not necessarily a bad thing.

It is what it is...

Last edited:
Hopefully, the promised playable demo will ease things up a little if it was made available soon enough .

That would be ideal. Give me the demo they’re gonna show to the press next week and that would be great. Or just give me something tangible. Just something...preferably not another screen shot. A video; a trailer; a behind the scenes video; a message from Yu himself; the demo...just anything to whet my appetite

Well I guess I was wrong as it is strange to wait this long to say something about that. I guess I'll be checking out for a while. Kind of wish there was no real release date until it is actually done since I find it annoying that you say it is coming out here, and you keep having to push it back. Could have just said 2019-2020 or something like that.

The cynics and clickbaiters are going to be all over this so this sucks mainly because of that.

I mean the good news is that it won't be bug ridden hopefully.

I promise you, I feel in my bones that we'll get slapped with the same ol' song and dance in September. It will get pushed to Q1 2020. I feel it coming.

The game needs more refinement and polish, that's fine. How much polish can be done in an additional 3 months if refinements and polish has been going for months since the game was complete? If it was already delayed to 2020, I'd find a little more solace in what can be done in that frame with a smaller team.

Lastly, I would wager you that the demo at E3 2019 for the press? It'll be the same one from months ago.

I don't think we'll get a trailer, I don't think we'll get screens. Nothing. Zip. Zilch. Crickets. Impressions that read as a regurgitation of what we read a while back.

We could've gotten a little holdover. Way to take the centennial Kickstarter Update and take a big ol' dookie on it. :(

I'm not mad at all.

It's not a year of delay like the past two times.

Also, the game itself is done, that means that the polishing will go to textures, models, fighting system, content... It can provide a big improvement!

Deep Silver has shown a great commitment with the financing of Shenmue 3, considering that the game was supposed to be released initially back in December 2017.

I promise you, I feel in my bones that we'll get slapped with the same ol' song and dance in September. It will get pushed to Q1 2020. I feel it coming.

The game needs more refinement and polish, that's fine. How much polish can be done in an additional 3 months if refinements and polish has been going for months since the game was complete? If it was already delayed to 2020, I'd find a little more solace in what can be done in that frame with a smaller team.

Lastly, I would wager you that the demo at E3 2019 for the press? It'll be the same one from months ago.

I don't think we'll get a trailer, I don't think we'll get screens. Nothing. Zip. Zilch. Crickets. Impressions that read as a regurgitation of what we read a while back.

We could've gotten a little holdover. Way to take the centennial Kickstarter Update and take a big ol' dookie on it. :(

I don’t know if there will be another delay, but I do kind of agree with you about lack of media next week. I don’t think we’ll see a thing next week. I don’t think we’ll see anything until Gamescom given the past track record.

Maybe I’m wrong. I hope I’m wrong. Maybe Deep Silver does release a new trailer with the new date. But I struggle to see it happening now. I hope they do but I have this feeling in my gut that it won’t show up until Gamescom.

Gonna echo the sentiment of Death Stranding, if not delayed itself, isn't necessarily competition, but complimentary to Shenmue. Lots of gamers play/buy both Suzuki and Kojima games because they're living legends. Besides, they are apart by near 2 weeks. Most poeple will be ready for a new game by then or have given up on the experiment of trying a trippy Kojima game.

Star Wars is the wrong crowd and will sell within it's own vacuum, as is Call of Duty especially, which are so saturated they sell alongside anything else. Meaning, if a gamer is more casual and picking up the annual CoD, I'd expect it to be along with another game, too.

Excited for good E3 previews, a Paris Games week and/or Gamescomm showing. Silver lining would be more time to save for my overabundance of pre-orders haha

Last edited:
Back