Kickstarter Update #100 - Shenmue III delayed until November 19th

I tried writing this more politely but couldn't.

We have reached peak stupidity in comparisons for illustrative purposes.

or bad news because despite nearing the release date it’s still not in a showable/releasable state...
Press are getting hands-on with the game in a week. If the game isn't showable, you don't hand it to a room of people who's job it is to rate or slate your product.

Press are getting hands-on with the game in a week. If the game isn't showable, you don't hand it to a room of people who's job it is to rate or slate your product.

Lets hope you are right and we get some impressions during E3 then.

And like I’ve said multiple times, I would play the game even if it has Monkey Island graphics, but lets not act like not seeing even 1 second of gameplay 3-5 months before release is a completely normal marketing/development cycle.

Here's a question actually

Obviously someone fucked up on the steam page, pushing the new date before the announcement. Do you think they'd have shown a new trailer at E3 and then informed us of the delay had that not happened?

Won't happen regardless. Shenmue 3 will bomb whichever month it launches in.
Upon which basis are you making that judgement?

It could bomb for sure. But it could also sell well and make profit. Remember $7million of the budget is free money as we paid that.

So the total budget is $20 million (ambitious) inclusive of our backer funds. So call it $13 million. They sell to shops at $30 initially. Sell 450k copies you break even.

600k = $5 million profit
700k = $8 million profit

The re-releases did around 300k sales alone. A new game will definitely IMO do more.

@Van Joel Sandwich thanks for the inspiration Haha.

No one wants to see this game delayed. We wanted it yesterday, last year, last decade....

But we are getting it. That's what matters. We have E3 next week and we can hope for new material. We know we will get it, in the bare minimum form from hands on impressions. But perhaps we could get a new trailer, or images.

We also now have Gamescom in August, and to be honest, I feel that there is a bit of pressure lifted here. If it was another years delay, then yes I would be worried. But 90 days means they have a very clear schedule and finish line in sight now. Of course I was unhappy as anyone when I found out, but I'm good now.

Upon which basis are you making that judgement?

It could bomb for sure. But it could also sell well and make profit. Remember $7million of the budget is free money as we paid that.

So the total budget is $20 million (ambitious) inclusive of our backer funds. So call it $13 million. They sell to shops at $30 initially. Sell 450k copies you break even.

600k = $5 million profit
700k = $8 million profit

The re-releases did around 300k sales alone. A new game will definitely IMO do more.

@Van Joel Sandwich thanks for the inspiration Haha.

Hmm I hope so. I guess I'm sceptical. We'll have to see what the marketing and press reactions are like closer to the time.

I wonder if the recent visit from Gio and the Sony guys was to get approval for extra development time, though I don't know how much involvement Sony have now with Deep Silver as the publisher.
i think it's more about a possible new trailer to be revealed maybe during next state of play or through their channels.

My frustration isn't so much the delay it's when they're choosing to release it. I'm really hoping this game does well so we get shenmue 4 and 5. Im just having a very hard time seeing it do well in November. I hope I'm wrong of course

Hmm I hope so. I guess I'm sceptical. We'll have to see what the marketing and press reactions are like closer to the time.
So you went from claiming "Shenmue III will bomb whichever month it launches in" to "We'll have to see what the marketing and press reactions are like closer to the time" Wow.

Last edited:
So, was this a stupid decision to delay it to November? Would Q1 of 2020 have been less stupid/more stupid? Hard to say, really but I guess we can all agree on it being a much worse release date than August. Then again, who says this game is coming out in November? I can easily see it being delayed again. I just hope we're not slowly moving into "delayed so long it gets cancelled" territory.

The way they've done this was the kicker to me. WIth update number 100, on the third, with no video, not even Kenji M. drawing some picture to cheer people up. Just some indifferent lines of text. How much more of a middle finger can you give your audience? And no, this is not a press release. It literally says Kickstarter Update in its title. It's an update for backers.

I'm gonna have to distance myself from the project to a certain degree. I have around 4 or 5 copies preordered and prepaid both US and PAL
and I'm thinking about cancelling those preorders to get my money back, as I have a trip to Croatia planned with my wife in September. That would make a couple hundred extra bucks for our holiday. However, I don't wanna make rushed decisions and I will sleep over it and decide tomorrow. Had I posted here three or four hours earlier, my language would have probably been on a Kickstarter comment section level and that's not what I wanna do.

What I'm gonna do for certain is check out here for a while, probably until the game comes out. It's not good for me to get all excited about Shenmue only to be disappointed again so I will stop checking for Shenmue news by myself and will probably only read the occasional Kickstarter email.

I will still support the game to the best of my abilities with what cash I can spare to buy extra copies after release but I'm not willing to put cash aside anymore to invest in S3. If I can support it some more beyond my Kickstarter contribution after release that's fine, if I cannot that's fine too but I'm not sure if we can believe this November release date anyway.

So yeah, I'm probably gonna check back here once the game is out, whether that's gonna be in 2019 or 2020, we shall see. I reckon, if they can't make 2020, it will get cancelled. Hope it won't get cancelled alltogether.

Hey, maybe I'll find out about S1 & 2 on Switch once I check back here. Anyways, see you, ladies and gentlemen. And one more thing: "Cheer up, will ya?" :)

I'm upset that the waited till the 100th update, Shenmue day and 1 week before E3 to drop this bombshell without any indication of where the next update will come from BUT...I would much prefer the development team to take care and extra time to produce a polished product than to release it and not be happy with it.

November is an incredible window to release it in but that says a lot about their confidence in their creation.

Seriously tho they need a redo on the update
So you went from claiming "Shenmue III will bomb whichever month it launches in" to "We'll have to see what the marketing and press reactions are like closer to the time" Wow.
Not really seeing the issue here tbqh.

This is going to turn into a huge mess isn't it? Zero gameplay is not good this close to release. People using the resident evil 2 remake as an example well we're well past that now even with new delay.They showed playable gameplay 6 and a half months before re2 release and actually I remember them saying the game is finished just needs polishing. We were 3 months from release now back to 5 months. If there is no gameplay at e3 there's something wrong. Honestly name me a game without gameplay 3/5 months before release, not saying there isn't but will be interesting to see how those games turned out.

If this is released in November there won't be a shenmue 4 , shenmue won't sell and it will reinforce the lie that shenmue can't financially succeed. People won't talk about 7m+ raised they'll talk about well shenmue 3 barely sold.

Back