Kickstarter Update #100 - Shenmue III delayed until November 19th

I really hope the review embargo isn't the same day as release. It usually makes consumers feel uneasy and can show that a publisher doesn't have much faith in their product, sometimes it is indicative of a product's quality and sometimes it isn't (e.g. the Wolfenstein and Doom reboots, which were awesome, but people held off pre-ordering or buying on day one, because Bethesda wouldn't allow people to post reviews until the game was out), but by having a late embargo, they miss the chance to generate hype with early reviews.

well at least if they "keep their promise", there should be the demo for backers before the full release
and then there will be videos of that demo on Youtube.
and if people like Huber from EasyAllies or Maximilian Dood have access to that, they will do "first look" live streams
or something like that and you can expect a ton of views.

unless Deep Silver clearly says that its not allowed to upload any content.
i wouldnt count on any super early embargos for the full game especially because its a 100% story game.
maybe 2-3 days early.

the previews for Metro Exodus and Outward (both Deep Silver) started about 2 or 1,5 months before release,
reviews for Metro Exodus were online one day before the release, Outward reviews were uploaded 1-2 weeks after release,
Metro Exodus keys for live streamers were sent out on the final release day, Outward keys for live streamers were sent out
one day before release. same thing for Kingdom Come Deliverance but they had a playable alpha and beta phase without embargo.

People will inevitably take the conditions of review embargoes to mean whatever they want it to mean. I don't know why, it's not like there haven't been instances of all "conventional wisdom" about embargoes lifting as evidence of quality being wrong.

you go to the post office and give them a forwarding address

As I've moved 3 times in the last year, I will say this is more than worth it; mail-forwarding is a godsend.

BTW, I've never clicked, "Haha," as many times in my life, as I have the last 3 pages of this thread; good to see some levity in our fanbase, even with a polarising update such as this :D

Delay= throw moves?

Nah. A good hope, but I think that would have been made abundantly clear rather than just "refinement", which signifies most visual or performance improvements.

Not including the fact that throws would peobably require a little more time to implement than these 3 additional months will give.

The closer to E3 and the hype building, seems like a fresher game closert o holidays is a smart move with greater benefits than possible stiff AAA competition. In my mind, summer game trying to remind everyone they're still around with a price cut won't get as much attention on shelves as a brand new game.

This pisses me off. I am SUPER busy at work and will be starting in a new department in September, so I booked a week off at the end of August for S3... yet it is all for nothing.

Meh, just hope the end product is worth it...

Watching EA Star Wars game (in stores on november, 15th 2019) I couldn't see anything that really amazed to me, facial animations, environments, gameplay...). I realised that maybe I am more demanding with Shenmue because it's my favourite game, because considering the difference of budgets, Shenmue 3 looks like better, prettier, more open world and charming than EA Star Wars.

Yeah Fallen Order, at least to me, looked like your usual safe and dull AAA game experience which I'll likely be done with in about 12 hours and won't remember in a year's time. God, I really miss when Star Wars games used to be amazeballs (Dark Forces, Jedi Knight, KOTOR).

Shenmue 3 meanwhile looks like such a breath of fresh air amid a sea of same-old-same-old: vibrant colours and charming stylised graphics with lots of quirky things to do (forklifts, Wack-a-Mole).

Yeah Fallen Order, at least to me, looked like your usual safe and dull AAA game experience which I'll likely be done with in about 12 hours and won't remember in a year's time. God, I really miss when Star Wars games used to be amazeballs (Dark Forces, Jedi Knight, KOTOR).

I don't know why, but I had visions of Jedi Fallen Order being more epic and grand in scope and scale, being more in line with KOTOR... I'm pretty disappointed to be honest. It looks like it will be a typical 8-12 hour single player game that's linear, with lots of set pieces, that will bore me.

I don't know why, but I had visions of Jedi Fallen Order being more epic and grand in scope and scale, being more in line with KOTOR... I'm pretty disappointed to be honest. It looks like it will be a typical 8-12 hour single player game that's linear, with lots of set pieces, that will bore me.

Yeah, to me it looked boring as shit. Basically Force Unleashed without the crazy Force lightning and over-the-top action (i.e. so basically all the fun stuff). Oh, and lovingly prepared with a generous helping of brown/grey dull colour palettes served together with a side of 'Oh look! We're on another Forest planet in the massive Star Wars galaxy!' Enjoy???

I still can't quite fathom that Jedi Outcast was released in 2002 and together with its sequel features by far the most exhilarating lightsaber combat which has never been topped since.

As for positives...slowing down time was pretty neat!

I'm not worried about it going a little after Star Wars, to be honest.

The game itself looked a little blah, though the hands-on impressions suggest it being quite a bit better than the trailer let on.

Reception is lukewarm because many people got seriously upset with how EA handled Battlefront II with the microtransactions(and rightfully so). It both severely damaged the brand and their reputation.

Couple that with a lot of folks feeling a bit more cynical because Last Jedi wasnt their cup of tea either and Star Wars, while still big, may not be as troublesome for Shenmue as you think.

Now, if they'd been a smart lot and announced KOTOR3, yeah..time for a delay, lol.

I'm not worried about it going a little after Star Wars, to be honest.

The game itself looked a little blah, though the hands-on impressions suggest it being quite a bit better than the trailer let on.

Reception is lukewarm because many people got seriously upset with how EA handled Battlefront II with the microtransactions(and rightfully so). It both severely damaged the brand and their reputation.

Couple that with a lot of folks feeling a bit more cynical because Last Jedi wasnt their cup of tea either and Star Wars, while still big, may not be as troublesome for Shenmue as you think.

Now, if they'd been a smart lot and announced KOTOR3, yeah..time for a delay, lol.

Oh man, if they made KOTOR3, i'd be all over that. I would love them to make it, but keep EA away from it at all cost

Back