Kickstarter Update #102 - PC Gaming Show Update: New Trailer & Epic Games Store Exclusive For PC Version! Part 2

I've been reading over these threads for the past 3 days....3 D A Y S...and I can't help but feel there is a small vocal minority here and other places on the Internet that are just so eager to throw away Shenmue because of this stupid Epic client issue. I absolutely agree it was wrong what Deep Silver did and agree about EGS being terrible. But I can't help but feel that the PC Gamer Shenmue fans are casting a large black cloud over what should be a great week of Shenmue news. I was watching live with @Peter on the live stream when he aired the PC Gaming Show. I was so stoked and all of the subsequent footage shown has still got me excited. But I am frankly sick of PC gamers trying to bring this franchise down because they are slighted. They have a right to be bummed but they do not have a right to try to keep excitement from other fans. It's disgusting.

I've been reading over these threads for the past 3 days....3 D A Y S...and I can't help but feel there is a small vocal minority here and other places on the Internet that are just so eager to throw away Shenmue because of this stupid Epic client issue. I absolutely agree it was wrong what Deep Silver did and agree about EGS being terrible. But I can't help but feel that the PC Gamer Shenmue fans are casting a large black cloud over what should be a great week of Shenmue news. I was watching live with @Peter on the live stream when he aired the PC Gaming Show. I was so stoked and all of the subsequent footage shown has still got me excited. But I am frankly sick of PC gamers trying to bring this franchise down because they are slighted. They have a right to be bummed but they do not have a right to try to keep excitement from other fans. It's disgusting.
I saw this coming when Metro Exodus went to the Epic Store (same publisher). I honestly don't know how anyone else didn't. I couldn't care less about the hate. Looking forward to the game.

Did you join the forum to tell everyone you don’t want to buy Shenmue 3? Seems kind of weird tbh.

No, I am a Kickstarter backer. I “bought” shenmue 3 many years ago. I love you bringing up my join date as if that means anything though.

Deep Silver and Ys Net sold our copies to Epic and Epic is now holding them hostage, forcing us to go over and use their product against our will, if we choose to activate it.

Yeah, we're upset. No PC gamer chose this. Deep Silver and Ys Net chose this. They chose to be either oblivious of the ongoing feud with Epic in the PC community, or they chose to say "fuck 'em" and turn their backs on us for money. Don't be mad at other gamers. Be mad at Ys Net and Deep Silver. Stop trying to absolve them of any wrong doing.

Everyone who is pissed off helped fund this game. We did our part. Ys Net and Deep Silver overshadowed their own game by making and announcing extremely poor decisions. If you go to Kickstarter, every single negative comment is someone who PAID MONEY for this project and has now been slighted. All good will is gone now. Nobody asked for this.

Deep Silver and Ys Net sold our copies to Epic and Epic is now holding them hostage, forcing us to go over and use their product against our will, if we choose to activate it.

Yeah, we're upset. No PC gamer chose this. Deep Silver and Ys Net chose this. They chose to be either oblivious of the ongoing feud with Epic in the PC community, or they chose to say "fuck 'em" and turn their backs on us for money. Don't be mad at other gamers. Be mad at Ys Net and Deep Silver. Stop trying to absolve them of any wrong doing.

Everyone who is pissed off helped fund this game. We did our part. Ys Net and Deep Silver overshadowed their own game by making and announcing extremely poor decisions. If you go to Kickstarter, every single negative comment is someone who PAID MONEY for this project and has now been slighted. All good will is gone now. Nobody asked for this.
I'm not "absolving" anyone. I'm saying I'm sick of the negativity being spread. Look at your post man, it's hostile. PC gamers are going around hating Shenmue by proxy because they were wronged. PC gamers are still getting the game, albeit on a different client, but the game Shenmue 3 is still coming. I really hope Deep Silver makes it right, but PC gamers are dampening the joyful mood we should be in.

it's hostile.
It wasn't intended as hostile. If I wanted to be hostile I'd tell you to fuck off or something. Instead I made an attempt to convey how I and others feel. We have been wronged, and that's where this reaction comes from.

PC gamers are going around hating Shenmue by proxy because they were wronged.
I love Shenmue. I don't hate Shenmue. I just don't trust Ys Net and Yu Suzuki any more. They broke that trust and good will. I put forth $800 to that man so he could continue his vision and one of my favorite series. I did not foresee this happening. If that kickstarter was in effect today, with Epic's involvement, I wouldn't contribute any money and I would wait until a Steam release, if it happened.

PC gamers are still getting the game, albeit on a different client, but the game Shenmue 3 is still coming.
It is still coming, but on a platform that we choose not to use. Epic will not buy me out. I really won't use it no matter what other games they pay for. I have made a decision, and the more games they buy out, the stronger I stand by my decision. I prefer choice. Their strategy is literally to buy everyone out rather than make their service better.

but PC gamers are dampening the joyful mood we should be in.
My joy has been dampened too. I already stated I did not want this. I finally watched some of the footage today and the game looks awesome, but the Epic news is too damaging. I wish we could go back and correct all of this. I wish there was no ill will. I've adamantly defended all the delays and the people who complain about the graphics and how crappy the original games were. I care deeply about this series, but if you slight me, how am I supposed to react?

If you're playing on console, there is no equivalent to make you understand how much this sucks. PS4 has one store and one option.

That's the problem. People are taking this personal. You shouldn't feel "slighted." Deep Silver is greedy and decided to go where the money is and took Epic's deal. I hate Google, but I can guarantee if Shenmue 3 was a Stadia exclusive, I'd hold my nose and buy in. I can tell you first hand I bought a PS4 for this game, I have Also read many others have done as well. We, Shenmue fans, understand EGS is basically spyware but why should Yu Suzuki (who's never designed for PC before) and Shenmue (as a series) take a notoriety hit because PC gamers are mad about this. It's only been 3 days let's see if Deep Silver and YSNET can work something out for the PC fans.

You shouldn't feel "slighted."
How else do you expect people to feel when they have been lied to and sold out by people they put their trust in and then have their concerns dismissed by people that aren’t affected (some even going as far as to suggest that them being upset is damaging the series or questioning their status as fans).

All of your posts seem to be focused on how it’s PC gamers that are casting this ‘black cloud’ over the series, but can you blame them for being annoyed at the situation? If you truly understood it, I’m not sure how you could. The real villains here are the people that signed that deal and that’s where all of our indignation should be aimed.

Of course, some people have taken things a bit too far and I don’t condone their behavior, but the posters I’ve seen on this forum have been fairly well mannered all things considered. To see them being told how to feel by others doesn’t cast Shenmue fans in a pretty light in my eyes.

How else do you expect people to feel when they have been lied to and sold out by people they put their trust in and then have their concerns dismissed by people that aren’t affected (some even going as far as to suggest that them being upset is damaging the series or questioning their status as fans).

All of your posts seem to be focused on how it’s PC gamers that are casting this ‘black cloud’ over the series, but can you blame them for being annoyed at the situation? If you truly understood it, I’m not sure how you could. The real villains here are the people that signed that deal and that’s where all of our indignation should be aimed.

Of course, some people have taken things a bit too far and I don’t condone their behavior, but the posters I’ve seen on this forum have been fairly well mannered all things considered. To see them being told how to feel by others doesn’t cast Shenmue fans in a pretty light in my eyes.
Thomasina above just literally said this: "I love Shenmue. I don't hate Shenmue. I just don't trust Ys Net and Yu Suzuki any more."
This is just 1 guy blaming Yu Suzuki. The creator of the franchise we are here for and begged him to continue for 13 years and he kept his word and here we are. Yu is the creator of this I highly doubt he rubbed his hands together and said "Let's betray the PC fans and go with Epic and make more money for me to squander - F-em"
Thomasina is doing literally what I'm talking about...casting aspersions.

Thomasina above just literally said this: "I love Shenmue. I don't hate Shenmue. I just don't trust Ys Net and Yu Suzuki any more."
This is just 1 guy blaming Yu Suzuki. The creator of the franchise we are here for and begged him to continue for 13 years and he kept his word and here we are. Yu is the creator of this I highly doubt he rubbed his hands together and said "Let's betray the PC fans and go with Epic and make more money for me to squander - F-em"
Thomasina is doing literally what I'm talking about...casting aspersions.
I mean, like all of the other backers, Thomasina gave his trust to Yu Suzuki as well as his money. Whether through naivety or malice, whether by Yu Suzuki directly or those acting on his behalf, that trust has been betrayed. If Thomasina feels that he can no longer trust Yu Suzuki to deliver on his promises, I fail to see how him stating as much on page 18 of a random forum thread could be even a fraction as harmful to the series as the shit show that’s going on elsewhere.

All of this started with the people that chose to sign a deal that they knew full well would anger backers and damage the reputation of the series and those involved, and it is with them that the buck should stop.

I mean, like all of the other backers, Thomasina gave his trust to Yu Suzuki as well as his money. Whether through naivety or malice, whether by Yu Suzuki directly or those acting on his behalf, that trust has been betrayed. If Thomasina feels that he can no longer trust Yu Suzuki to deliver on his promises, I fail to see how him stating as much on page 18 of a random forum thread could be even a fraction as harmful to the series as the shit show that’s going on elsewhere.

All of this started with the people that chose to sign a deal that they knew full well would anger backers and damage the reputation of the series and those involved, and it is with them that the buck should stop.
Yeah, and I agree with your last line. I've said that from the get-go. This was a -business- decision and the fault lies at the feet of Deep Silver and Epic...as we all know this duo has done this in the past. We have all of this negativity going around the Internet right now about Shenmue 3 and PC gamers are besmirching the wrong people. In my original post I referenced (all) the negativity going on throughout the Internet not just the little bit on here. Facebook/YouTube/Twitter/Kickstarter. It's crazy.

Yeah, and I agree with your last line. I've said that from the get-go. This was a -business- decision and the fault lies at the feet of Deep Silver and Epic...as we all know this duo has done this in the past. We have all of this negativity going around the Internet right now about Shenmue 3 and PC gamers are besmirching the wrong people. In my original post I referenced (all) the negativity going on throughout the Internet not just the little bit on here. Facebook/YouTube/Twitter/Kickstarter. It's crazy.
How exactly do you know that Yu Suzuki and YSNet were not involved in those discussions though? I’d be very surprised if they weren’t.

Even if that were the case, could it not be argued that Yu Suzuki should have chosen those he partnered with more wisely? Deep Silver don’t have the best track record. At the very least he should have sought some assurances that they would allow him to fulfill the promises that he made to his backers. If he didn’t understand the business side of things and the modern gaming landscape, he should have surrounded himself with people that did.

I don’t for a moment there was any spite or malice in any of his actions, but I do think he has been incredibly naive. When you’ve been trusted with that much money, I don’t think naivety is a quality that can be afforded.

Does he deserve to have people wishing bone cancer on him? Of course not. Should he take some of the blame for what happened? Perhaps.

How exactly do you know that Yu Suzuki and YSNet were not involved in those discussions though? I’d be very surprised if they weren’t.

Even if that were the case, could it not be argued that Yu Suzuki should have chosen those he partnered with more wisely? Deep Silver don’t have the best track record. At the very least he should have sought some assurances that they would allow him to fulfill the promises that he made to his backers. If he didn’t understand the business side of things and the modern gaming landscape, he should have surrounded himself with people that did.

I don’t for a moment there was any spite or malice in any of his actions, but I do think he has been incredibly naive. When you’ve been trusted with that much money, I don’t think naivety is a quality that can be afforded.

Does he deserve to have people wishing bone cancer on him? Of course not. Should he take some of the blame for what happened? Perhaps.
Well let me raise you a question..how do you know if Yu Suzuki had any other partner options other than Deep Silver? If he didn't take them on, where would we be today with Shenmue 3?

Daily reminder the only thing you were "promised" was a PC version.

Go on, post your Kickstarter confirmation and funds collected email, prove me wrong...

Timeline:

2015: back Shenmue 3 and choose between a PC or PS4 version
Later date well after the KS has ended: PC version will be on Steam
2019: "Now it will be an Epic exclusive"

Boo-hoo

Well let me raise you a question..how do you know if Yu Suzuki had any other partner options other than Deep Silver? If he didn't take them on, where would we be today with Shenmue 3?
Given that he originally only asked for $2m, one could argue that a publisher wasn’t needed. I dare say that having a publisher on board will no doubt contribute to a better end-product, but I don’t think it would have been the end of the world if one hadn’t been found. There have been plenty of games that were successfully self-published.

As for whether there were any other options, we will probably never know. Given the success of the Kickstarter though, I imagine publishers would have been queuing up to take a slice.

Blaming Yu is not fair. Yu-San is a developer not Video game Company Ceo that knows the western market. He is a japanese developer und sees stuff with the japanese point of view. PC Gaming in Japan has not the Cult following like it has in the west. The Steam vs Epic war is not raging there.

The suits at Deep Silver are too blame. Although I would be careful to blame anybody without knowing some solid Facts. maybe DS had some valid reasons to make the deal. Maybe yes maybe no.

The main Problem is that the suits at Deep Silver were acting quite clumsy and fueled the rage of the steam fans even more.

Communication is not a strong point of Deep Silver. They are too blame for certain degree.

But many People Forget that kickstarting is not so different form donating Money. When you fund something you do not buy a finished product that was guaranteed .

You buy a idea, or lets say you pay Money to make a Project reality. But this Project or game or whatever you prefer to call it, is still in the development stage. in the development stage products can Change. Nothing is set in Stone yet.

Last edited:
Daily reminder the only thing you were "promised" was a PC version.

Go on, post your Kickstarter confirmation and funds collected email, prove me wrong...

Timeline:

2015: back Shenmue 3 and choose between a PC or PS4 version
Later date well after the KS has ended: PC version will be on Steam
2019: "Now it will be an Epic exclusive"

Boo-hoo

You're right. We were promised a PC version in the Kickstarter.

And then we ordered a Steam version through fangamer. Now they have a legal obligation.

Now either they deliver it or refund. Scamming backers isnt cool.

Back