Kickstarter Update #102 - PC Gaming Show Update: New Trailer & Epic Games Store Exclusive for PC Version!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why do people keep parroting this 'the game was only promised for PC, not Steam specifically' nonsense? It was listed in the system requirements in Kickstarter updates right up until the June 4th update. Not only that, but the backer survey stated Steam specifically.
The legality is that from start to finish of the KS they never stated it was a steam copy. Yes, surveys and updates mentioned it after the KS ended but I bet you in the fine print those are always "subject to change".

It's not that. It's the feeling to have been sold for nor real benefit.
Which we cannot prove or disprove at this juncture. Bad decisions can be made with best intentions.

But yeah, it looks rough. Super rough. And the english dub is yiiiiiikes.
y3TrGnQ.gif

n4JVrXH.gif

I get you're displeased on other reasons but hyperbole helps absolutely nobody. It's the same story as it's always been with video footage of the game, there are highs and lows. Similarly the English dub sounds like it's in fairly standard game voice over territory now, and it helps absolutely nobody playing into the "hur dur shenmue has bad voice acting" meme.

They've been very against showing gameplay that's for sure
They literally showed 10-15 minutes to press months ago and are putting it in their hands from today at E3. Fact.

This is a false narrative and we'd all appreciate it if you didn't try to peddle it under the radar.

The legality is that from start to finish of the KS they never stated it was a steam copy. Yes, surveys and updates mentioned it but I bet you in the fine print those are always "subject to change".
It was always assumed (quite rightly) Steam would be the platform for PC. Then it was confirmed, Steam page, Achievements, and all. Then it was scrubbed.

There is simply no excuse.

Which we cannot prove or disprove at this juncture. Bad decisions can be made with best intentions.

y3TrGnQ.gif

n4JVrXH.gif

I get you're displeased on other reasons but hyperbole helps absolutely nobody. It's the same story as it's always been with video footage of the game, there are highs and lows. Similarly the English dub sounds like it's in fairly standard game voice over territory now, and it helps absolutely nobody playing into the "hur dur shenmue has bad voice acting" meme.
This is why AA games are getting squeezed out. If you want to make a AAA scale but not on a tech/polished level of detail then it's considered "rough". It's either go big or go home no in between.

It was always assumed (quite rightly) Steam would be the platform for PC. Then it was confirmed, Steam page, Achievements, and all. Then it was scrubbed.

There is simply no excuse.
I know what you mean I'm just speaking from a legal point of view.

y3TrGnQ.gif

n4JVrXH.gif

I didn't say that Shenmue has bad voice acting. I said the english dub felt subpar. The japanese one on the other hand, felt great. Even better than the Magic 2019 trailer, especially for Ryo. I was worried that, because of age Masaya's voice would feel different, but in this one, it definitely felt like the same Ryo. For a comparison, I feel like it'd be the same as making a trailer out of Wong's chase in Shenmue II. The Prophecy trailer was more on point imo for exemple.

And no, my reaction to the trailer has very little to do with recent developpement toward the shift to EGS. I just feel like, and many also feels like, that it wasn't a good trailer.

Probably not contributing any new thoughts to this thread, but whatever, I'm tired and can't be arsed reading through 30 pages of bickering.

In regard to the trailer itself, even as one of the Dojo's more skeptical members, I was actually really happy with it. Of course, it needs refinement, the facial animations are still a bit dodgy, etc., but these will be addressed (at least to a certain extent) now that the game has been delayed. Personally, I disliked the Prophecy trailer and was somewhat worried by it, but I really found this new one reassuring. So, the game itself, I'm feeling confident about - the Shenmue aesthetic is evident, and I'm sure we're all going to love it.

As for the EGS fiasco, I'm not a serious PC gamer, so I don't know too much about EGS, and didn't even know about their reputation until this. That said, I can understand why this has worried so many fans, as Shenmue III needs every single sale it can get, so limiting this niche title to a platform with a comparatively tiny user base does seem pretty fucked-up. I know it will come to Steam at some point (thankfully), but by that time, the hype will have died down, and it'll surely miss out on quite a few sales as a result. I don't think this necessarily spells doom for the series, but people are well within their rights to be worried or angry about this, and I really think this point is flying over the heads of the "it's just a launcher" lot. I honestly don't think many of us are upset over something so trivial as having to use another launcher.

Yes mabye you need to be PC to see the context. For me steam is just THE culprit that started the digital only future and killed the Disc based PC gaming. As a fan of Disc based media I was never found of Steam. And Epic is just another steam wannabe, so it is hard to understand why so many People l ike the one and hate the other. To me they are all the same.

But maybe I really have to wrong Background to understand the Problem completely.
I do not think it is hard to understand for you. You hit the nail on the head.... They are both similar digital only platforms on occasion i game on steam and PC not in a while though. I never liked steam or things going digital though. I was stuck on page 21 or 22 decided to finally post.

I didn't say that Shenmue has bad voice acting. I said the english dub felt subpar.
In your own words:

"And the english dub is yiiiiiikes."

This doesn't carry the nuance you're trying to give it here. Opinions may vary, but it sounds at least like a middle of the road video game dub, and that's alright considering the series' reputation for English dubs.

And no, my reaction to the trailer has very little to do with recent developpement toward the shift to EGS. I just feel like, and many also feels like, that it wasn't a good trailer.
I would like to believe that, but there's been a noticeable shift from yesterday where you're not even taking the good with the bad anymore.

I see no problem with what intentions DS EGS have for shenmue. First and fore most I like physical things so atm mainly game on console but i have games on PC and see no issue to use epic ymto play the game except key features missing. TBH steam was hated and now epic is. It probably won't be like this once they implement features.

The Trailer showed at least some ingame footage. Not CGG footage like many other E3 Trailers did. It was among the better Trailers of the E3. But that is just my opinion.

Here is a tweet you may be interested in. Expect a solution soon.

I don't know what he actually does, but my sense has always been that he just reposts/reports news that has already been released. I know he's supposed to be an 'insider, 'but I can't remember actually reading anything new or of value on any of his pages.

I see no problem with what intentions DS EGS have for shenmue. First and fore most I like physical things so atm mainly game on console but i have games on PC and see no issue to use epic ymto play the game except key features missing. TBH steam was hated and now epic is. It probably won't be like this once they implement features.

Steam was hated because people weren't ready for the digital future. It's now massively popular because of the features it offers. Also you don't really see people hating on GOG, Humble Store, Uplay or Origin. Epic is hated for being anti-consumer and buying third-party exclusives is a scummy move.

In your own words:

"And the english dub is yiiiiiikes."

This doesn't carry the nuance you're trying to give it here. Opinions may vary, but it sounds at least like a middle of the road video game dub, and that's alright considering the series' reputation for English dubs.

I would like to believe that, but there's been a noticeable shift from yesterday where you're not even taking the good with the bad anymore.

Well yes, in my own words "the english dub is yiiiiikes". Not the japanese dub. But it's my fault, I should've explained my point further, so that it makes sense:
First of all, by itself, I felt like the english dub wasn't good. Even though I like Corey's voice, I don't think he's good at acting. (Especially the moment where he says "They are heartless" and the following moment where he says "Hey wait right there !") On top of that, maybe for budget reasons, I think the lipsync is meant for japanese speech. Hence why it felt really off. The whole QTE chase sequence in english felt... super awkward.

As for the visuals, the Magic 2019 trailer, while not being perfect, had at least amazing colours and environnements. Everything looked sharp and detailled. I don't know if it's the video quality (it doesn't help) but here, at multiple times, the lighting felt dull, the envrionnements felt greyish/brownish and a lot of textures were super rough and dirty.

On top of that, the trailer itself was pretty meh. Sure, the QTE chase really felt like Shenmue, but there was nothing to make me feel like "Finally... it's the sequel I've been waiting". By that I mean, for exemple, The Prophecy trailer had, well, the Shenmue II ending sequence + Lan Di appearing. The Ryo and Master trailer also had a Lan Di appearance but story wise, it really felt like the continuation of something with Bailu village (and Iwao being namedropped).

It just happened that both an underwhelming trailer and a bad news as a backer dropped altogether.

About that... I wouldn't count on it. The game will surely have an amazing story and everything we like from Shenmue. But yeah, it looks rough. Super rough. And the english dub is yiiiiiikes.
I think Yu made a huge blunder letting people who were only comfortable creating cartoonish models create character models for this game. That alone is making the game look rough at times. The non-cartoonish (outsourced?) models blow those models out of the water.

Hopefully they manage to iron out enough problems for the game to at least be decent visually.
What? There was nothing wrong with the trailer at all. Everything was exceptionally amazing.
Exceptionally amazing?? Relative to what? Thestuff we saw in 2015?

Locking as this has become a huge topic. Opening a part 2 shortly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back