Kickstarter update #123 Backer reward walkthrough

i know no one knows 100% but is the kickstarter art book just going to contain the exact same thing as the kickstarter pdf art file we got?

This whole backer rewards situation is being handled pretty terribly, they should have done a update in the first few days of the year. It's been a while since we heard anything about this or the dlc pack even. The radio silence is mildly concerning to say the least.

Like almosr every other KS out there. Shocking, right?

Like almosr every other KS out there. Shocking, right?

Implying that suddenly makes it all completely ok, countless companies before YSnet learned the hard way how people react to silence and many before them also ignored these lessons.

These companies gotta learn if your going to kickstart things you have to update every couple weeks or your going to have a lot of frustrated angry people who won't back your projects next time as a result.

I'm not in a hurry to even get any of this stuff, more frustrated that yet another company refuses to learn from other Kickstarter mistakes.

At this point I pretty much won't touch a Kickstarter unless it offers some crazy value like a 20 dollar copy of a 60 dollar game or something similar. I'll only put small sums of cash in and only if it benefits me and is cheap enough to minimize risk. Which is a direct result of this sort of bad behavior from Kickstarter projects.

I gave Shenmue a lot of cash, and honestly unless a 4th game happens with better direction and more story I did not and will not feel it was worth the financial investment. It was nice to play another Shenmue game, I just wish there was more emphasis on writing and story this time around. The lack of any real meaningful plot progression really left me unsatisfied.

Last edited:
I put in about $350 so I should be in for some rewards. So far I haven't received a thing. I'm suspect that they are using the sales income to pay for rewards. However as we know, the sales have been brutally bad. I guess I'll be lucky if I get anything. After this and after completing the game, this is the end of the road for Shenmue for sure.

They budget the rewards within the kickstarter funds. People are getting them albeit slowly.

Email them if you're worried.

I put in about $350 so I should be in for some rewards. So far I haven't received a thing. I'm suspect that they are using the sales income to pay for rewards. However as we know, the sales have been brutally bad. I guess I'll be lucky if I get anything. After this and after completing the game, this is the end of the road for Shenmue for sure.
There has been a lot of stupid posts around here lately but this one is my favourite so far. I'm honestly surprised that you managed to jump to a conclusion that is so incredibly wrong.

First of all, as you can see in this very thread, people are already receiving their rewards. Now, it might not be your specific tier (or for your specific items), but that's because they are all in different stages of production. YSnet have explained this to backers multiple times and have even released a Kickstarter Update to address this. They listed items that would be shipping with the game, and items that would be shipping post-launch as they are still being prepared:

Rewards to Ship Post-Release
These rewards will ship after the game release date. All are in different stages of shipping prep and production, so we will have shipping updates for each when ready.
  • Physical CD Soundtrack
  • Physical Artbook
  • Shenmue III Official T-Shirt
  • Capsule Toys
  • Ryo's Jacket - Replica
  • Ryo's Watch
  • Shenmue Script Set
  • Ryo Collectible Figure
  • Concept Character Bust

Second of all (my favourite part of your post), they aren't using fucking sales income to fund the backer rewards... Fuck knows how you managed to arrive at this conclusion?!? Think about this for just 15 seconds as if you were in their shoes. You have promised ~80k backers rewards that they paid for. Would you:
A) Set aside the money required to produce said items.
B) Use all the money upfront on game development, and then shit yourself later on, hoping that you make enough money from game sales to make said items.

Hopefully, you went with A, because that is the correct answer, and the one that literally anyone would choose, as did YSNet:-
4RY51KGAbc8Phx-unsqi88ECs3b8ecIrCTLSX4IYdhk.jpg

Lastly we arrive at the sales of Shenmue III but there's no point in talking about it "as we know, the sales have been brutally bad". No we don't know that! You don't know that, I don't know that! Nobody on here knows that! The only people who know about the sales numbers are YSnet, Shibuya Productions and Deep Silver.
Even if we did know the sales numbers, which to clarify, WE DON'T (we only know physical of Japan and nothing of digital PSN, EGS, not to mention the rest of the damn whole world), we still don't know how much the game cost to develop, how much money was poured in, what kind of deals went down behind closed doors. Without knowing those, sales data is irrelevant because you cannot deem it a failure or success as you do not have the full picture. When Cedric Biscay of Shibuya Productions (the guy who made this game happen in the first place, and the guy who funded the game with millions of dollars of his own money) says that he is happy with Shenmue III, then maybe you should listen to him, and not some shit inconclusive physical sales in Japan!

Sorry to come off so blunt, but I feel like the there has been so much wrong information passed around the forum and the Shenmue community in general that stark words are needed to get the point across these days.

Last edited:
I'm happy you're totally wrong. Just chill, didn't we wait already 18 years for the game? Why give up the hope?

There has been a lot of stupid posts around here lately but this one is my favourite so far. I'm honestly surprised that you managed to jump to a conclusion that is so incredibly wrong.

First of all, as you can see in this very thread, people are already receiving their rewards. Now, it might not be your specific tier (or for your specific items), but that's because they are all in different stages of production. YSnet have explained this to backers multiple times and have even released a Kickstarter Update to address this. They listed items that would be shipping with the game, and items that would be shipping post-launch as they are still being prepared:

Second of all (my favourite part of your post), they aren't using fucking sales income to fund the backer rewards... Fuck knows how you managed to arrive at this conclusion?!? Think about this for just 15 seconds as if you were in their shoes. You have promised ~80k backers rewards that they paid for. Would you:
A) Set aside the money required to produce said items.
B) Use all the money upfront on game development, and then shit yourself later on, hoping that you make enough money from game sales to make said items.

Hopefully, you went with A, because that is the correct answer, and the one that literally anyone would choose, as did YSNet:-
4RY51KGAbc8Phx-unsqi88ECs3b8ecIrCTLSX4IYdhk.jpg

Lastly we arrive at the sales of Shenmue III but there's no point in talking about it "as we know, the sales have been brutally bad". No we don't know that! You don't know that, I don't know that! Nobody on here knows that! The only people who know about the sales numbers are YSnet, Shibuya Productions and Deep Silver.
Even if we did know the sales numbers, which to clarify, WE DON'T (we only know physical of Japan and nothing of digital PSN, EGS, not to mention the rest of the damn whole world), we still don't know how much the game cost to develop, how much money was poured in, what kind of deals went down behind closed doors. Without knowing those, sales data is irrelevant because you cannot deem it a failure or success as you do not have the full picture. When Cedric Biscay of Shibuya Productions (the guy who made this game happen in the first place, and the guy who funded the game with millions of dollars of his own money) says that he is happy with Shenmue III, then maybe you should listen to him, and not some shit inconclusive physical sales in Japan!

Sorry to come off so blunt, but I feel like the there has been so much wrong information passed around the forum and the Shenmue community in general that stark words are needed to get the point across these days.
Words of reason. Thank you for all that.

Back