Kickstarter update #123 Backer reward walkthrough

So I'm not alone. I wasn't going to play it yet anyway, as I'm not done with my current playthrough of Shenmue II yet, but goodness gracious... good thing I have another week or so before I can actually play it with the prequels (weird saying that) fresh in my mind.

I've just sent an email to ysnet including screenshots of this issue. I will update when I know more. Hope to get this resolved soon.

I need to ask this anyone who preorder from GameStop physical get an email with bonus/rewards? I did a physical copy by mail and got no email yet.

never mind guys and I hope you all get your rewards I would not start my first play though without them.

Ps4: downloaded full game and started the game yesterday. At that time i received only the code through fangamer survey. Today i noticed that in my fangamer survy has appeared a 5 digit backer code. I enterd it correctly in the options menu but i keep getting the invalid code error. Do you have any suggestions? Is it possible that start playing the game before entering the backer code has messed something up? Thanks

Ps4: downloaded full game and started the game yesterday. At that time i received only the code through fangamer survey. Today i noticed that in my fangamer survy has appeared a 5 digit backer code. I enterd it correctly in the options menu but i keep getting the invalid code error. Do you have any suggestions? Is it possible that start playing the game before entering the backer code has messed something up? Thanks

Same issue here for PC

20191119_142838.jpg

Disclaimer: Some of this is speculation.

The actual PSN/Epic Store DLC codes are basically products, and they can't realistically make thousands of unique products for single users on the storefront. As far as I know, all of the DLC products need to be set up by hand and I'm not even sure if the storefront even could support thousands of possible DLC products for a single title. The DLC basically serves the purpose of identifying that you are a backer and all backers get a code for the same product add-on.

The in-game backer code identifies who you are, because some of the rewards had specific "find your X in the game and get Y" rewards. As to why they couldn't just do it in game only since the backer code option is visible to everyone, perhaps this was their way of keeping backer-exclusive items away from non-backers. There's nothing to prevent a backer from sharing their unique code.

Since nobody has backer codes yet, I don't think we know yet specifically what happens if you haven't downloaded the DLC and try to use a backer code. But my main answer here is they probably did it this way to make sure only backers can get the backer rewards. (Although the PC version will probably be hacked for everything at some point)

Do we know if this speculation is correct?

Are the DLC codes unique (per backer), or is it the same code (per tier) for all backers?

Do we know if this speculation is correct?

Are the DLC codes unique (per backer), or is it the same code (per tier) for all backers?
It was all correct, but it sounds like your understanding might be off. Everyone gets different codes for everything. There are no shared codes.

There are 4 (or 5?) different DLC products for the storefront and they had a number in the name when you redeemed them. If you were on the lowest tier which included DLC you got 'product' #1, which I assume was just the phone card. Product #4 included the phone card, capsule toys, Ryo's black Yokosuka jacket, and some move scrolls. Those DLC product codes are unique one-time use codes on their respective digital storefronts, but although the DLC codes are different they are for one of the tier specific products.

Once you redeemed the product code, your unique backer code could be entered in the game which actually gives you the rewards in the DLC, highlights your name in the backer credits, and does the individual backer in-game stuff for the tiers that had those.

I haven't been able to get this to work. But maybe it's a region thing. But posting up in case anyone else is in the same boat and got it to work. Sorry it's long.

I chose Japanese region for my backer PS4 physical copy (stupid choice, since I'm in the USA...but I was doing it for collection purposes since I was also buying a US region collector's edition).

Anyway, the code I got is for the Japanese PSN Store. Guess it didn't occur to me that I would be getting a code to enter on PSN store when I chose to get a physical Japanese PS4 copy. Oh well.

But my Japanese disc has not arrived yet. But my US one did. So I started playing using that disc.

Realizing I couldn't redeem my 12 digit code in the US PSN Store (I did try but was invalid), I set up a Japanese PSN account (I can't read Japanese, but a few walkthroughs helped) and then redeemed the code on the PSN Japan Store. I couldn't read all the options, but I downloaded the 4 things that popped up as DLC after I entered the code.

However they are not installing, saying there is no application. So I take it even though the disc is "region free" (as far as playing on different systems) I still need to be using my Japanese disc in order to use the backer content in it? My backer code also shows as invalid when I enter it in-game (and says I need to enter 12 digit code in PSN Store).

Really wishing now that I hadn't chosen Japan region for my copy. I really thought I was only chosing it for the disc...not all my other backer content (stupid, I realize, but hindsight 20/20).

Anyone else had this issue and overcome it? I'd hate to not get access to the backer stuff in game just because I made a dumb choice. I contacted Fangamer but they said I need to make a Japanese PSN account and they can't do anything since I'd already revealed my code and the disc has been shipped. (Which I understand on their part. Just wish I'd been smart enough to realize I was making a dumb choice getting the Japanese region version...sigh)

EDIT: My backer PS4 Japan region disc came today and sure enough the backer code works fine on it. So I gotta start over. Good thing I hadn't put much time into it.

Last edited:
do we have a rough date as to when we will receive the rest of our kickstarter items ( book, t-shirt, mini figures etc)

Well I got a package today from fangamer. Inside some of the stuff of my VINTAGE GRAB BAG - Project Berkley tear BUT several items are missing:

Artbook
phyiscal soundtrack
figures: Ryo, Shenhua, Chai and the Forklift
shenmue 3 t shirt
Hand Drawn Illustration by Kenji Miyawaki

and the shemue bag was never kickstarter item.

Do we have any information that fangamer are shipping the items in more than one package? and how do we get the digital rewards except the game? via mail?

DSCN6206.JPG

Do we have any information that fangamer are shipping the items in more than one package? and how do we get the digital rewards except the game? via mail?

View attachment 6467
Fangamer are doing multiple shipments, yes. It was mentioned in an update or a message.

Digital rewards can be found in your Fangamer backer survey area, a link to which you should have received via email.

Well I got a package today from fangamer. Inside some of the stuff of my VINTAGE GRAB BAG - Project Berkley tear BUT several items are missing:

Artbook
phyiscal soundtrack
figures: Ryo, Shenhua, Chai and the Forklift
shenmue 3 t shirt
Hand Drawn Illustration by Kenji Miyawaki

and the shemue bag was never kickstarter item.

View attachment 6467
is that a shenmue watch?

is that a shenmue watch?

....not the original one from shenmue. This one:

vintage-timex-atlantis-100-indiglo-50-meter-blue-bezel-men-s-chronograph-watch

Back