Lan Di's Departure (Collaboration Cover)

With all the excitement of Shenmue III and the new trailer being shown at MAGIC Monaco this Saturday (9th March) I thought it was time to do something musically Shenmue related again, after composing 'The Samurai Boy Saga: 1986' the prog rock concept album, all about the storyline of the first game, which I wrote back in 2016. I teamed up with fellow hardcore Shenmue fan and virtuoso musician Richard James Alexander Cartlidge from Sheffield, to collaborate and perform our own rendition of this composition from Shenmue II.

In our own opinions, the cutscene where Lan Di flies off in his helicopter with this music in the background has to be one of the most epic moments ever in video gaming history, period! It came to our realisation, that there were a few complications while recording our version. It's most certainly one of the more difficult tracks to replicate and articulate in the Shenmue soundtrack. With modulation of notes, key changes, different minor modes and polyphonic textures. It was a mission identifying some of the notes initially, although after some hard work, we hope we've done it justice!

All rights go to Takenobu Mitsuyoshi, Ryuji Iuchi, Yuzo Koshiro, Takeshi Yanagawa and Osamu Murata.

Back