Last place you traveled?

pilman

A mind as clear as a polished mirror
Favourite title
Shenmue II
Currently playing
Yakuza Zero
I recently traveled to Colombia. My wife is from there, I stayed in Bogota in the capital as well as in a small town called Villa De Leyva. These are some of my videos from the trip.

Your videos remind me to finally get my passport :p

The last time I travelled (aka hopped on a plane and left the state) was when I went to Boston for my honeymoon. We went downtown, toured Fenway Park, the aquarium, fine art museum, and spent a day in Salem.

Wow, looks beautiful. The last placed I travelled to was Paris back in 2014.

I would love to travel a lot more but I have prioritised my mortgage and home improvements. I am hoping to semi-retire around 45 I think I will pick up travelling a lot more then. My wife is also about 20 weeks pregnant so there is going to be another 3 years worth of nursery fees to pay for. Once I get that out of the way, I will probably plan to take a trip once a couple years before going all out.

Your videos remind me to finally get my passport :p

The last time I travelled (aka hopped on a plane and left the state) was when I went to Boston for my honeymoon. We went downtown, toured Fenway Park, the aquarium, fine art museum, and spent a day in Salem.

That was my high school trip to Boston as well; seems like par for the course.

Last place I travelled to was Italy for my honeymoon last year, but being back to the homeland 3 times now... I don't want to go back for a while, unless it is for an event, as they treat tourists like crap.

That was my high school trip to Boston as well; seems like par for the course.

Last place I travelled to was Italy for my honeymoon last year, but being back to the homeland 3 times now... I don't want to go back for a while, unless it is for an event, as they treat tourists like crap.
They do? What happened?

@moon child

Just general attitude; I'm not fluent in Italian, but I don't speak a word of English to anyone in Italy (I sound like a native, accent and tone-wise, but my vocabulary is not as extensive as a native) and I have survived weeks there on my own, without speaking in English to anyone, thus its not a language thing.

My wife, on the other hand, only understand a little bit and speaks even less, so she was speaking to me in English; I'm guessing that's what outed us.

Once they saw that we were tourists, the smiles left, the attitudes changed (for the worse) and it made some experiences awkward and not enjoyable.

I, THREE TIMES, had to ask (VERY NICELY, in Italian) for proprietors to engage me in Italian, not English (because their English is deplorable, 99/100 times) and one of those times the proprietor still spoke to me in his horrible, broken English, that basically translated to, "too bad, you're not welcome, **** off."

Keep in mind also, this was in the north, where everyone has an air of pompousness to them; the south may be completely different, but I've never been (for reasons lol).

For me it was Monaco in February for Magic. Great experience from the view of a Shenmue fan. I got a good look around too as I fell asleep on the bus and got off a stop late!

Seeing the F1 track was cool. How they get those cars around that is beyond me

The cars are not nearly as big as they look, but that's why Monaco is the hardest (or second hardest, depending on how you see Hungary) course to overtake opponents..

Lovely little country; I was there for 7 hours with my wife one afternoon, on our honeymoon; seeing Fangio's statue was a dream come true :')

@moon child

Just general attitude; I'm not fluent in Italian, but I don't speak a word of English to anyone in Italy (I sound like a native, accent and tone-wise, but my vocabulary is not as extensive as a native) and I have survived weeks there on my own, without speaking in English to anyone, thus its not a language thing.

My wife, on the other hand, only understand a little bit and speaks even less, so she was speaking to me in English; I'm guessing that's what outed us.

Once they saw that we were tourists, the smiles left, the attitudes changed (for the worse) and it made some experiences awkward and not enjoyable.

I, THREE TIMES, had to ask (VERY NICELY, in Italian) for proprietors to engage me in Italian, not English (because their English is deplorable, 99/100 times) and one of those times the proprietor still spoke to me in his horrible, broken English, that basically translated to, "too bad, you're not welcome, **** off."

Keep in mind also, this was in the north, where everyone has an air of pompousness to them; the south may be completely different, but I've never been (for reasons lol).

I found it very difficult to get help when I was in Italy, both when trying to speak Italian and speaking English. My girlfriend later told me (she's Italian) that it was because my appearance was too scruffy. Moral of the story is: dress nice if you want help from Italians (again, this is the north, the only stuff I know about the south is what I've learned from Montalbano).

My last trip is also my next trip - to Istria - tomorrow in fact! Not looking forward to flying but looking forward to swimming in the sea all day every day :)

I went with my girlfriend last year to Romania, Vienna, Barcelona, Budapest and Paris.
I don't really care much about travelling, but since my sister has been living abroad for like 7 years now, every year we go visit her with my family we have a trip.
The only place that I do really want to visit is Egypt, but feel turned off by the precarious political climate.
I do want to come back to Japan some day (and Venice).

I found it very difficult to get help when I was in Italy, both when trying to speak Italian and speaking English. My girlfriend later told me (she's Italian) that it was because my appearance was too scruffy. Moral of the story is: dress nice if you want help from Italians (again, this is the north, the only stuff I know about the south is what I've learned from Montalbano).

My last trip is also my next trip - to Istria - tomorrow in fact! Not looking forward to flying but looking forward to swimming in the sea all day every day :)

Haha! That sounds EXACTLY apt, as I am not the best dresser at all (I don't dress like a bum, but I am NOT fashion-conscious at all and I like it like that ;))

Enjoy Istria!

Berlin for a couple of days on my own.

I went there with the intention of going to a gig but I opted not to go to it and instead spent more or less the entire 2 days wandering around and alternating between drinking beer and eating street food.

d3OGVIN.jpg

IYXepvF.jpg

Zvxd2RU.jpg

Apart from seeing the Brandenburg gate I didn't go and see any tourist stuff. I was really surprised how much I enjoyed Berlin, it's my favourite city by far, the people are really helpful, the transport system is great and it's not expensive.

Shortly after arriving my phone (with all my Airbnb booking stuff) battery died and I was forced into using a paper map and asking people for help. I speak a little German but it definitely gave me the shove I needed to go and use it for help, it was the best thing that could have happened.

Berlin last year for a stag do.

Last trip was a road trip trough Vietnam with my brother. We bought motorcycles in the south and sold them in the north.

I try to travel atleast 4 months a year so i will keep updating

@Mojito that is so damn cool! Trip of a lifetime.

My parents did that in the 70s; bought an Opel Kadet in Spain, drove through France, Monaco, Switzerland, Italy and then sold it in Rome.

Japan; April of this Year for a Month.

Spent three weeks studying Japanese over in Tokyo and an extra two weeks during Golden Week bumming around doing as I pleased.

Was a hell of a way to spend a month off from work. I went out to Yokosuka for the first time (well worth the trip); I went to Osaka; I went to Kyoto and met up with my parents (who were in the country for a week during my month stay)

I played a lot of Tekken 7. I beat Virtua Fighter 2 no less than 5 times in an Akiba arcade. I hung out with friends who live over there. It was good. I had a good time spending a month and proved to myself that I could probably live there (if I ever get the guts to make the move and try living there)

Last edited:
Japan; April of this Year for a Month.

Spent three weeks studying Japanese over in Tokyo and an extra two weeks during Golden Week bumming around doing as I pleased.

Was a hell of a way to spend a month of from work. I went out to Yokosuka for the first time (well worth the trip); I went to Osaka; I went to Kyoto and met up with my parents (who were in the country for a week during my month stay)

I played a lot of Tekken 7. I beat Virtua Fighter 2 no less than 5 times in an Akiba arcade. I hung out with friends who live over there. It was good. I had a good time spending a month and proved to myself that I could probably live there (if I ever get the guts to make the move and try living there)
Damn I wish arcades were still a thing here.

My last trip was to Hong Kong last October. Traveling is a lot more difficult than it used to be since we got a dog. I hate to imagine how difficult it is going to be once we have kids.

OOoh, travel thread.

Prior to late 2015 I didn't do any traveling and hadn't left my home state since I was child. That changed due to me feeling uncomfortable about job security, and even though I never ended up leaving the job I had back then the experience of flying to other US states to interview for large companies pushed me out of my comfort zone enough that I was finally willing to travel to events alone and vacation with friends. I've gone a few places each year since then. Last year was my first time outside the US, I was in the UK with some friends in early 2018. My guestbook entry in Shenmue 3 actually is a nice encouraging statement that relates to my experiences starting traveling after 2015.

My most recent trip was Denver Colorado in early July. They have a pretty large botanical garden that resulted in some nice pictures. The mountains were also neat to have nearby since there aren't any where I'm from. I don't usually post vacation photos publicly but I could probably start an album for some of my favorites because I enjoy taking photos.

I've got one or two more trips coming up this year, I'll try to remember this thread and post about anything interesting.

I have a trip coming up in January to head back down to Colombia mainly to visit family for about 3 weeks, however I will get a chance to check out Medellin for the first time and staying in suburban Envigado. Might get a chance to check out the country side in Antioquia.

I am hoping to do a trip one of these days to Japan, China and Israel, just seems getting the time off is difficult.

This was the airbnb I stayed at in Villa De Leyva, really nice view

Last edited:
Back