Life is Strange

Riku Rose

Sex Panther
Banned

I'm hyped. Looks like they're going more serious this time then the more John Hughes with superpowers style of the last two games.

Why not name the thread Life is Strange 2? Anyway, very hyped.

Really liked the first. Hope they keep the game more grounded in reality though. When it gets too magical they lose me.

Really liked the first. Hope they keep the game more grounded in reality though. When it gets too magical they lose me.
I hope you're not worried about S3 then given the ending to S2...

I did try the first life is strange but couldn't get into it particularly. I think I might try again at some point.

I hope you're not worried about S3 then given the ending to S2...
No in Shenmue it's fine. It's been awhile and the idea of magic in Shenmue has long fermented in my mind with the possibilities. ;)

I quite liked the first Life is Strange. The characters and story were gripping and the whole rewind concept was pretty unique.
The prequel was okay but really not that interesting without Max's powers and everything.

That teaser has a strikingly more realistic look to it than the games had to this point. It will be interesting to see where they are going with this, especially story wise because of how the first game ended, even considering that there is not just one way.

Loved the first game, and Captain Spirit was interesting as a (presumably?) set-up to this one. I agree with Blue that the lack of any sort of power made Before the Storm a little less intriguing, so it's good to see that Chris's abilities will most likely be a mechanic in LiS2...

Why not name the thread Life is Strange 2? Anyway, very hyped.

Because the series is called Life is Strange and naming the thread as such facilitates discussion on all entries.

This immediately became one of my all-time favorite series, and I loved the prequel as much as the first. Max's powers were a plot device and if you're invested in the characters and what they're going through then it's not essential for all entries.

I've only played through Captain Spirit once and have more to explore in that, but I'm fairly convinced by now that they can do no wrong.

HUGE fan of this series. Haven't played the spin-off yet, but hopefully I'll get around to it.

I may have enjoyed Before the Storm more than the original, actually. One of those games that just kind of stuck with me.

Enjoyed the first game but the whole rewind mechanic spoilt the story somewhat for me. Mostly every time you introduce the ability to change time in any media, it just ruins things. The part when you go back in time as a child with your best friend and you're trying to stop the dad leaving the house so he doesn't get run over. Simply butterfly effect will mean that delaying him leaving for a minute or two would avoid the accident but that is completely ignored in the game.

Think they could of removed the time travel element or keep it in but has a gameplay feature and not cannon.

Life is Strange as a concept on paper is pretty interesting. A choose your decision adventure game with time travel elements is pretty unique but what killed it for me was the high school teen setting, it was just too cringeworthy at parts, especially the dialogue. I couldn't' relate with the rebellious angsty hipster teen characters.
Meh i'm prolly to old and definitely not the target audience though.

However that teaser is looking a lot more interesting, seeing as the trailer showcased a police point of view, maybe they will be implementing more adult character, themes, politics into the mix this time around? Maybe this time around you will be playing police officers trying to track down time shifting criminals or something of the sort? I hope so but let's wait and see.

I'm definitely open to give it another chance this time around since i feel Life is Strange can shine if they ditched the whole YA theme nonsense.

Simply butterfly effect will mean that delaying him leaving for a minute or two would avoid the accident but that is completely ignored in the game.

Not necessarily, time travel in the game was more of a case of choosing between two (or perhaps more) fates, almost like Kenny constantly dying in the early seasons of South Park.

Sometimes you just have to surrender yourself to the constructs of the work of fiction you're engaging with rather than looking for logical outs to the situation.

I'd love to write a "logical story" one day where the characters always make the correct choices and the world works as it does in reality. Guaranteed it'll be the most boring and uneventful piece of fiction ever created.

The first game was one of the biggest gaming disappointments of my life...

I wasn't really invested in the characters, pretty much none of them are very likeable, especially the main characters. Some of the side characters were cool but... they were side characters....

Anyways I kept slogging through the first game hoping for some big payoff, some sort of explanation for everything that was going on that actually made sense. There was so much imagery used in the game that implied some sort of magic and mystery, perhaps even some ancient power manifesting itself through Max. The teachers especially brought this up often, and some graffitti around town also seemed to be in on it. In the end though, I got the most unsatisfying conclusion I could have possibly imagined. It felt like a cop out and basically ruined the rest of the story IMO... I get that it's basically a perversion of the butterfly effect but my god was it stupid...

So then before the storm came out. Now, Chloe was probably my least favorite character in the first game, and Rachel seemed like a character that we were better off NOT meeting for story reasons. Rachel was like, a goddess in the lore of the first game and I knew that meeting her would ruin any love I had for her, and I was SOOOO right. She was awful, on par with Chloe...

Then there was that tease at the end of chapter1... that scene that made is seem like Rachel had some sort of environmental powers of her own and perhaps she was a catalyst in what happened with Max years later. When I heard about this, I immediately bought the game. Something sparked in me and I thought maybe that payoff I was waiting for was coming through in this game and will be expanded upon. But no... it was just a shitty metaphor... nothing more... I was disappointed all over again as this series' story seemed to take a huge turn from a dark and intriguing mystery to a dull and pathetic coming of age story. I really fail completely to understand what Before the Storm added to the first game at all, it really felt so disconnected...

I have the demo for Captain Spirit downloaded but I haven't touched it yet. I'm so afraid of once again getting sucked into some awesome mystery just for it all to be a lame metaphor for the kid's daddy issues or something. I know I should give it a chance, but I'm really having trouble bringing myself to do it...

The first game was one of the biggest gaming disappointments of my life...

I wasn't really invested in the characters, pretty much none of them are very likeable, especially the main characters. Some of the side characters were cool but... they were side characters....

Anyways I kept slogging through the first game hoping for some big payoff, some sort of explanation for everything that was going on that actually made sense. There was so much imagery used in the game that implied some sort of magic and mystery, perhaps even some ancient power manifesting itself through Max. The teachers especially brought this up often, and some graffitti around town also seemed to be in on it. In the end though, I got the most unsatisfying conclusion I could have possibly imagined. It felt like a cop out and basically ruined the rest of the story IMO... I get that it's basically a perversion of the butterfly effect but my god was it stupid...

So then before the storm came out. Now, Chloe was probably my least favorite character in the first game, and Rachel seemed like a character that we were better off NOT meeting for story reasons. Rachel was like, a goddess in the lore of the first game and I knew that meeting her would ruin any love I had for her, and I was SOOOO right. She was awful, on par with Chloe...

Then there was that tease at the end of chapter1... that scene that made is seem like Rachel had some sort of environmental powers of her own and perhaps she was a catalyst in what happened with Max years later. When I heard about this, I immediately bought the game. Something sparked in me and I thought maybe that payoff I was waiting for was coming through in this game and will be expanded upon. But no... it was just a shitty metaphor... nothing more... I was disappointed all over again as this series' story seemed to take a huge turn from a dark and intriguing mystery to a dull and pathetic coming of age story. I really fail completely to understand what Before the Storm added to the first game at all, it really felt so disconnected...

I have the demo for Captain Spirit downloaded but I haven't touched it yet. I'm so afraid of once again getting sucked into some awesome mystery just for it all to be a lame metaphor for the kid's daddy issues or something. I know I should give it a chance, but I'm really having trouble bringing myself to do it...
I'll agree with you about Rachel's 'powers', that was disappointing as I was expecting that to go somewhere more interesting too.
I'd give Captain Spirit a go, though, yes there are certainly 'daddy issues' but the powers are very much real, I shan't spoil too much but it definitely pays off by the end :)

Sometimes you just have to surrender yourself to the constructs of the work of fiction you're engaging with rather than looking for logical outs to the situation.

I'd love to write a "logical story" one day where the characters always make the correct choices and the world works as it does in reality. Guaranteed it'll be the most boring and uneventful piece of fiction ever created.

Off-topic, sure, but just seen this video that illustrates my point perfectly:

I'll agree with you about Rachel's 'powers', that was disappointing as I was expecting that to go somewhere more interesting too.
I'd give Captain Spirit a go, though, yes there are certainly 'daddy issues' but the powers are very much real, I shan't spoil too much but it definitely pays off by the end :)
So it happened... I played the captain spirit demo and got hooked again. DAMMIT! Now I gotta play the sequel and pray it doesn't disappoint lmfao

To me that would be like Shenhua not using any of her powers in Shenmue III after all this time. But I loved LiS and I'm looking forward to part 2. I see a lot of Shenmue's spirit in the first two games and it was one of those games that clicked with me immediately. If I had to pick a new addition to my favorite games of all time it would be Life Is Strange. Especially Before the Storm.

Back