Looking for alternate English subtitles

Hi all,
Having played through Senmue I & II HD in English a few years back, I started itching to replay it, and I figured I'd do it in Japanese this time. My problem is that I've seen just enough subtitled anime that seeing Ryo and Nozomi address each other through English subtitles as "Ryo" and "Nozomi" while the Japanese audio clearly state "Hazuki-kun" and "Harasaki-san" is throwing me off more than I know it should.

Using the PC version, I've been unsure whether something like the Dreamcast "Undub" project would suit my needs or even be compatible, or if there were some alternate route I could take before diving into editing the subtitles myself?

Thanks for reading!

Hi all,
Having played through Senmue I & II HD in English a few years back, I started itching to replay it, and I figured I'd do it in Japanese this time. My problem is that I've seen just enough subtitled anime that seeing Ryo and Nozomi address each other through English subtitles as "Ryo" and "Nozomi" while the Japanese audio clearly state "Hazuki-kun" and "Harasaki-san" is throwing me off more than I know it should.

Using the PC version, I've been unsure whether something like the Dreamcast "Undub" project would suit my needs or even be compatible, or if there were some alternate route I could take before diving into editing the subtitles myself?

Thanks for reading!
Looking at it the undub I can't quite recall whether they went down the traditional Japanese pronunciations for the subtitles (I'd imagine they did) and I'm not sure there's a version of it for the PC as I'd imagine the need isn't there for it.

You'd be surprised though, once you get used to the Japanese you find switching between the two second nature.

Unfortunately I don’t think there’s any project that fits what you’re describing. As far as I know the undub uses the normal English text with only a few of the most obviously wrong lines fixed up and therefore it uses “Ryo” and “Nozomi”.

Ah, dang.
I thought how odd "little baby Ryo" sounded in English when "little Ryo" would have sufficed, and quickly realized "Oh, this was Ryo-chan in Japanese". Then I realized that the English version addresses all of the townsfolk as "[given name]-san" when Japanese fluctuates with "[family name]-san/kun/chan/etc." and the like depending on age.

Now the English version just feels like the weirdest hodgepodge of "let's be as authentic to the Japanese language as we can… Oh, except for that part, and that bit…"

To think, they localized all that (which is fine), yet the maps texts still orders things things in Japanese, like "Heights Sakura". That one really throws me for a loop.

Oh, and business hours! Some go by 24h, some go by 12h. It's madness! :LOL:

Oh well. Thanks for the help anyway!

Yeah the official translation definitely has a lot of strange choices beyond what just sounds off to a native English speaker. I’d love to see a fan translation for the games but unfortunately with the ungodly amount of dialogue in this first game alone it’s not a project anyone’s gonna be lining up for.

I'd gladly take a stab at it if I weren't slightly overwhelmed by all the different modding programs for the game(s).

I'd need to be able to play a dialogue file and view the corresponding subtitle at the same time. It seems like this was (one of) the method(s) used for the DC Undub, which would mean using an index of some sort. I'm unsure if any of the modding programs available have any features like this? Even just an index would do wonders.

Back