Favourite title
Shenmue II
Currently playing
Tinhead
PSN
Truck_1_0_1_
Steam
Truck_1_0_1_
Ok, so after I finished the yearly playthrough last night, I got to thinking about the two greatest rap songs in the history of Sega games.

There's already the Cool Z thread here: https://www.shenmuedojo.com/forum/i...the-lyrics-to-the-cool-z-song.595/#post-18900

But there's nothing for Barry Jones!

Does anyone have any ideas what it could be? The second one is so fast, I can't make out the lines other than ones reused from the slow one and "more and more."

All I have (for the first song) is:

I don't know,
But I have you! x4

(I definitely don't know!)

Don't walk away, right down the pine
(unclear), just sink or swim (yes you know!)
(unclear), (unclear)
Everybody got (gibberish) today.

Man the depth is, I don't give a mission
(unclear), (unclear) all day.
Break out, Shenmue!

I don't know,
But I have you!
I don't know (yes you know!)
I don't know, (what up?)
But I have you!

(I definitely don't know)

I don't know,
But I have you! x4

(I definitely don't know!)

(unclear), (unclear) all day.

Stupid boy. Stupid bro.
Stupid Boy.

Any help? lol

I gave this about half an hour with a pack of smokes and studio headphones: I felt like the Kowloon wiretapper.

That said, I took a stab at the fast rap, in .75 playback speed. It contains some of the same confusions you have, but I think the full line in both is "It’s on the line, it’s sink or swim". I'll edit further if I gain any enlightenment (I'm doubtful).

Fast ("you gonna lose some money at darts!") form
nobody care you’re so fast
everybody now fast [as ?]
[?, ?] all day

so 1, 2, 3, 2, simple time
It’s on the line, it’s sink or swim
[?]
[?]

nobody care you’re so fast
everybody now fast [as ?]
[?, ?] all day

put your hands up, put [push?] your legs
so 1 2 3, 2 simple time
It’s on the line, it’s sink or swim

oh no x3
well, have to go now

(full lyrics repeat)

lol that's brilliant and makes sense!

"Down the Line," or, "On the Line," indeed makes more than sense, than, "Down the Pine."

I don't know, what I have to you
I don't know... I definately don't know

Don't walk, flee - Gulp down the pint
It's on the lot - It's bank or flip
Nobody care, you're still bad - Everybody now fly for stay

Man that dances, I'll give up mission
So we count CDs and all things

Break out shampoo

Step it boy, step it bro

Last edited:
I feel like I'm getting some kind of mild brain damage from listening to this over and over. :LOL: Actually the impression that I get is that the vocals were chopped up and rearranged here and there from a longer recording. Possibly of a person ranting on the street or in a subway station.

I feel like I'm getting some kind of mild brain damage from listening to this over and over. :LOL: Actually the impression that I get is that the vocals were chopped up and rearranged here and there from a longer recording. Possibly of a person ranting on the street or in a subway station.

That has to be the case, no? I've tried to make sense of this audio (adore Shenmue I do, but the sound quality was very tired come the sequel) and, though a slowdown usually aids, all of this feels a mess. It hints at an extremely quick, blurry take. One feels for the bartenders who have to listen to it...

Last edited:
And here I was sure all this time that the the first lines were... "I don't know but I have pube(s)".

I've had this song stuck in my head for quite some time now and I decided to take another shot at the lyrics.
Spent way too much time on and effort on this, though it was fun to find new words. Hopefully you'll enjoy it.

Some of the lyrics are still taken very lighthearted, as the raps are just too goofy not to.
If you want it absolutely serious you can take the text from the fast part for the slow one. They seem to be the same word but they messed with the tempo and shuffled bits around so much, that it sounds way more different than it is actually is.

Is that BJ's ACTUAL idle animation?

It is so damn awesome if that's the case lol

Yeah I just had Ryo watch the guy. I made sure to stand as far back as the lock on allowed because if you're near him all his up and down motion makes the camera shake even more and it's rather nauseating to look at.

Back