Magic Monaco Press Conference March 9th 2019 Part 2 Discussion and Reaction

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my opinion the conference was pretty good. Lots of new information on the combat mechanics! Maybe Yu doesn’t have the approval to show more content?
I mean that's possibly a reason, but the trailer later today is going to do a lot of the talking anyway. This was just kind of fluff inbetween, really.

Trust me, I'm well aware of that concept art. But if we were going off earlier designs, I guess Lan Di would look like this in Shenmue III:

http://shenmuedojo.net/images/modimages/betalandi4.jpg
I never said it was a universal thing, but at least in the case of Ryo that's what they've done. That concept art image has been seen on whatever design sheet for Ryo they've got hung around the office, in one of the backer updates.

Not that they're sticking to it slavishly, because Ryo's lighter jeans only briefly appeared in screens before being switched for a darker set. It just seems they've decided to keep the patch change.

We could probably go into the semantics of this all day, but it'd probably be a waste of our time. I'm sure we can kill 4 and a half hours and then deal with the fallout once the trailer has been released.

Anyone able to go into detail on the new combat mechanics revealed?
Broad strokes, outside of info we already knew from EDGE:

- For players less experienced with fighting games, there is the AT (automatic transmission) mode that will allow you to set and string combos of five moves together that can be activated with the triggers. Players familiar with fighting games can switch to MT (manual transmission) mode for freedom in how they attack.

- The fighting poses of enemies will give you a clue towards what kind of martial arts they use. This plays into information from the EDGE preview that stated Ryo will need a solid repertoire of moves in order to put up a strong fight against more exotic forms.

Yu went through old screens as examples of characters with different ages and physical characteristics, putting emphasis on the unique qualities. It wasn't a "yo dude look at these fresh shots" moment.

I get that, but you would think he wouldn't want to show anything old and not representative of the 'latest' build. Plus how hard is it to capture new shots? Like are these really the best and newest shots to use as backgrounds to discuss these characters?

We could probably go into the semantics of this all day, but it'd probably be a waste of our time. I'm sure we can kill 4 and a half hours and then deal with the fallout once the trailer has been released.

You won't see me dealing with anything after the trailer is released. :LOL: If it's disappointing, then I'll just shrug my shoulders and quietly ask myself, "What in the actual fuck?" and pray for the best. And if it's good, I'll cheer and know my 13k was well invested. I don't have the time to sit around and worry myself over it, and wouldn't even if I did.

Broad strokes, outside of info we already knew from EDGE:

- For players less experienced with fighting games, there is the AT (automatic transmission) mode that will allow you to set and string combos of five moves together that can be activated with the triggers. Players familiar with fighting games can switch to MT (manual transmission) mode for freedom in how they attack.

- The fighting poses of enemies will give you a clue towards what kind of martial arts they use. This plays into information from the EDGE preview that stated Ryo will need a solid repertoire of moves in order to put up a strong fight against more exotic forms.
Thank you, all sounds good, hopefully we'll get to see that tornado kick in action later.

I get that, but you would think he wouldn't want to show anything old and not representative of the 'latest' build. Plus how hard is it to capture new shots? Like are these really the best and newest shots to use as backgrounds to discuss these characters?
That stuff is just less important to Yu than it is to us, I guess. I mean he quickly flicked through them anyway, so who cares.

You won't see me dealing with anything after the trailer is released. :LOL: If it's disappointing, then I'll just shrug my shoulders and quietly ask myself, "What in the actual fuck?" and pray for the best. And if it's good, I'll cheer and know my 13k was well invested. I don't have the time to sit around and worry myself over it, and wouldn't even if I did.
13K goddamn!? Well I feel I should thank you for helping make this game possible, that's a lot of money, cheers.

As one of the more consistently optimistic members on here who rarely if ever says anything negative about this project, I feel bad for those who attended that conference, and for everyone else who temporarily put their life on hold to be available/awake at that particular time. @LanDC having to go to work tired right now perfectly illustrates this. You simply do not hype up a conference for months to be this big unveiling of Shenmue 3, and then come the actual conference you just show one screenshot (really?), state a few new details about fishing, old moves and NPCs before then announcing that the main attraction of the event everyone came to see - the gameplay trailer - will not be in the actual Shenmue 3 conference itself, but rather at the end of the day instead to bait everyone to stay for the whole show. It's frustrating. I don't blame Yu Suzuki or YS Net for this, rather whoever organised this show and thought it would be a good idea to hold off the trailer until the end.

Crazy scheduling nonsense aside, I'm grateful we're lucky enough to be getting any Shenmue 3 news at all today, so like everyone else I will also be eagerly awaiting Crazy Time and not letting this sour my day. I'm sure what will be shown at Crazy Time will be brilliant and the excitement from all of us here will be infectious. I just wish this particular conference was handled a bit better in all honesty.

Anyway, what's done is done: bring on Crazy Time!

I'm sorry to anybody who stayed awake or got up early for this (even though we knew the trailer may not have debuted at the conference), but that was a personal choice we all took.

I'd also say, let the people at the conference speak for themselves. Don't transfer your disappointment onto them.

As one of the more consistently optimistic members on here who rarely if ever says anything negative about this project, I feel bad for those who attended that conference, and for everyone else who temporarily put their life on hold to be available/awake at that particular time. @LanDC having to go to work tired right now perfectly illustrates this. You simply do not hype up a conference for months to be this big unveiling of Shenmue 3, and then come the actual conference you just show one screenshot (really?), state a few new details about fishing, old moves and NPCs before then announcing that the main attraction of the event everyone came to see - the gameplay trailer - will not be in the actual Shenmue 3 conference itself, but rather at the end of the day instead to bait everyone to stay for the whole show. It's frustrating. I don't blame Yu Suzuki or YS Net for this, rather whoever organised this show and thought it would be a good idea to hold off the trailer until the end.
Anyway, what's done is done: bring on Crazy Time!
Dude Magic Monaco is way more than just the Shenmue 3 stuff! (even tho many people just go there for that reason) Last year I was there and from the point of view of seeing new stuff from the game, it was even more disapointing.
They spent almost the entire conference speaking about Yu Suzuki past carrer and stuff. But the rest of the event was super-cool.
A lot of interresting things going on, cosplay, drawing artists, a litle game/art market for people to buy some cool things and many other stuff.
The energy there is pretty cool. So last year I spent undreads of euros to go there to see almost nothing new about shenmue 3, yet I loved the whole thing.

I'm a little upset, but it could be because the morning coffee hasn't kicked in.

I can feel the trepidations setting in this thread already. I have to agree with those who echo their sentiments about the "hype" generated for this conference.

Cedric invested and is therefore leveraging Shenmue III to his benefit to grow this conference in exposure. He is a businessman and that's what they do.

As far as the information gathered in the conference...we knew about the moves from S1+S2 and the Auto system from the EDGE article. We knew the expansion of NPCs months ago, but not the exact scale. That is a big plus.

As far as showing old screens..I don't know what to say. I can say there is an exceedingly stark visual difference between the ones released last month and the one he showed with Tornado Kick. There is more detail to Ryo(imo) in the Warehouse fight screen released a year ago.

The trailer has GOT to be a winner. If it ends up being the exact same trailer as last year with a couple of small things cropped in, the concern will be very real.

We can all be a bit optimistic and say "Yeah, well 5 more months!" or "Maybe at E3!" but the fact remains that they are almost out of time to make the right impression.

Seeing members who gave a lot to this dream becoming a little shaken about their investment, even if they are strong enough to shrug it off internally, isn't good.

Bring on the trailer and let's hope Cedric's hype was more than just a ploy to build up the conference.

Last edited:
My problem remains that they're still not showing it actually being played. This new trailer still concerns me a little. Is it gonna even have a remote hint of gameplay? Is it just Cedric blowing smoke up our asses? Or is it just gonna be a retake on the same old footage we've had over and over?

Seeing one new screen shot of the battle system and not showing it off in actual motion still concerns me.

Same as giving all this new info (which is nice) but not actually showing anything. I mean they don't even have to show anything major. Just a simple fly through or even just show us that Fishing mini game in motion instead of just explaining it.

I feel like I need more "show" and less "tell" at this point.

Still, I'll wait for the trailer and the Crazy Time Event. But yeah, I got to tell you, I'm at a point where they really need to show the actual game itself and not just rendered screen shots. If you really want me to believe in that August release date (which to be frank, I don't believe it will make it in August) then you really got to show me something substantial and not just more screen shots.

Yeah, any other game they would be showing off gameplay footage, even if it was short. And if they weren't, fans wouldn't be making endless excuses...

Guys, it seems temporary amnesia is setting in.

Gameplay in the trailer is confirmed, as is an extended sequence for select people (contest winners and I presume the Euro press attending).

The "why aren't they showing gameplay?!?!?!" stuff is... I dunno it just feels stupid when we're like 4ish hours from seeing it ourselves.

Guys, it seems temporary amnesia is setting in.

Gameplay in the trailer is confirmed, as is an extended sequence for select people (contest winners and I presume the Euro press attending).

Yeah, but as someone else has said here...is it just gonna be a retake on a QTE laden trailer from Gamescom? I mean I will wait until the Crazy Time session but still, it's hard not to be weary as whether they're just blowing smoke up our ass or if they will show something new and substantial. Will wait and see though.

I stand by my thought...I really need more than just pre rendered screenshots. And hopefully that trailer does deliver.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back