Making money

I found one of the most enjoyable ways to earn money was to go to the colour fortune teller... If you get red, yellow or blue... Then go to either a red, yellow or blue capsule machine... I have a strong suspicion it increases your chances of getting rare toys. If you're looking for variety it's certainly one of the dinner ways to raise some cash... If you get green then try your luck at flower wind moon bird or the turtle races as already said

EDIT: Apparently this was already found, my bad guys lol

I FOUND A GREAT EXPLOIT!

If you have any extra scrolls, you can sell them to pawn shops for some cash. In Niaowu, you can exchange 4 specific books for the Reverse Heel scroll, one of the best moves in the game in my opinion. The books are:
  • Historical Records (5 Yuan)
  • Later Han Dynasty (3 Yuan)
  • Three Kingdoms (3 Yuan)
  • History of Jin (2 Yuan)
There are two book stores that are in very close vicinity of each other that has these books. The book store in the Promenade, called Western Bookstore, just before the no running area/giant statue has Three Kingdoms. The book stand in Vendor Avenue, called Dusty Pages, next to the copper Buddha store has Historical Records, Later Han Dynasty, and History of Jin.
I did the exchange at Cash First Pawn Shop (make a left as soon as you leave The Promenade) because it's very close to the Dusty Pages stand. The Reverse Heel scroll is worth 120 Yuan! I bought like 50 of each book, exchanged all of them for the scrolls, and then sold all of the extra scroll books back to pawn shop and made nearly 5,000 Yuan!

TL;DR - 4 books worth 13 Yuan = Move Scroll worth 120 Yuan at pawn shop. Sell your extra scrolls back to the pawn shop. AFAIK this can be done an infinite amount of times. PROFIT!

Last edited:
This is a fast and great way to turn 1,200 yuan to 12,000 yuan within a few minutes if you are willing to buy 100 of these books each. Found this yesterday, but I thought it was posted here already which is why I didn't post anything about it.

You must have complete faith in the fortune teller.
Here's why:
When you save, your fortune resets.
I could be wrong, but when I first went to the fortune teller, I got my colour, then went to the turtle race, saved, then lost 3 times in a row.
Then, I went back to the fortune teller, saved before I went in, then got my colour and didn't save; which turned out to be the trick, apparently.

You must have complete faith in the fortune teller.
Here's why:
When you save, your fortune resets.
I could be wrong, but when I first went to the fortune teller, I got my colour, then went to the turtle race, saved, then lost 3 times in a row.
Then, I went back to the fortune teller, saved before I went in, then got my colour and didn't save; which turned out to be the trick, apparently.

I'm sure saving doesn't reset your fortune.
I got yellow and kept betting on "moon" at the Flower, Bird, Wind and Moon game.
I always saved before each try and loaded every time I lost. I can say that I won MANY times in a row.
And interestingly, every time I decided not to save before the next try, I lost.

So, I am in the second area and I want tips regarding money. I can see different t-shirts, jeans, jackets and such but they are so expensive that I would rather save my money for move scrolls (which are also damn expensive). What's the best way to earn money? I think I need at least 20,000 to feel comfortable.

If you want to follow the Wude, fishing earns more in Niaowu (esp. if you have a certain unlocked spot). If you slam the Rose Garden, you can trade in the tokens for a decent amount of money. Always helps to chop some stray logs when the night's coming.

If you want a means of spamming, go for books:
Buy Three Kingdoms at Western Bookstore (the one on the Promenade), and Historical Records, Later Han Dynasty, and History of Jin at Dusty Pages (take a right when you hit vendor avenue; go down the steps, and it's right in front of you). You can exchange all four at a pawnshop for the Reverse Heel; selling back the scroll is roughly an 11x profit. You can buy the books in bulk, but the exchange process is timely.

You might be right.
At first I thought that she was working for the bookies, then I thought that....hmmm....anyways, a great way to make money is:
on Sunset Hill, there is a bloke that runs several stores, on of which is Lucky 3....The right-most stand is actually pretty easy. It takes a few tries, and is mostly luck, but there are odds of 30x, with 1000Yuan Max bet. I have rarely gone more than 15 tries before landing 3 in....but you can have 28 misses and still make a profit if it lands all 3 on the 29th try.

Thanks. Just seen the Making Money threaf so please delete this one.

Mod Note: Merged your thread with this one. all sorted.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are ok with save scumming (or wasting in game days), my process was quite simple which I did for the live recordings:

In Bailu:
Grand Macau
Play Perfect 3 - the X10 board.
Max bet
Save scum
Take the tokens to the prize exchange
Buy lots of the blue gem
Sell at pawnshop.

the exact same goes for Niaowu, except play the Take Two board for x25 in the Golden Goose (it's one of the Kickstarter backer boards). It's just time and save scumming, but you can amass tokens by the thousands. Think I had over 100,000 by the time I left Bailu. Took about a week in game time, and about 36 hours real time, with a mixture of scumming and keep going on if I win.

There is no other way to get more money outside of hexing. Least as far as I can see. Thanks to the Dojo staff for the heads up.

The fortune teller was a load of BS for me. Out of 10 with the correct colour, I won 6 times. Yea, I am up a bit but.... The time involved just wasn't worth it.

yeah, I have come to the conclusion that the fortune teller just throws you a cookie now and then, to dissolve any suspicion that she is a member of the dodgy bookie's association of rural China.

If I have to hear that grand macau guy telling me to "pitch a platform" again.....I think I might lose it....It didn't trigger me as much the first 250 times.

If anyone reading this hasn't got to the sunset hill area of Bailu yet, there is a bookie who runs the fire, wind, bird and moon stand on the right of the turtle-racing. He is there in the evenings only, but he is a pretty safe bet to make some tokens, if scum-saving is your thing.
Much better than that 'roll it on top' hustler.

Last edited:
EDIT: Apparently this was already found, my bad guys lol

I FOUND A GREAT EXPLOIT!

If you have any extra scrolls, you can sell them to pawn shops for some cash. In Niaowu, you can exchange 4 specific books for the Reverse Heel scroll, one of the best moves in the game in my opinion. The books are:
  • Historical Records (5 Yuan)
  • Later Han Dynasty (3 Yuan)
  • Three Kingdoms (3 Yuan)
  • History of Jin (2 Yuan)
There are two book stores that are in very close vicinity of each other that has these books. The book store in the Promenade, called Western Bookstore, just before the no running area/giant statue has Three Kingdoms. The book stand in Vendor Avenue, called Dusty Pages, next to the copper Buddha store has Historical Records, Later Han Dynasty, and History of Jin.
I did the exchange at Cash First Pawn Shop (make a left as soon as you leave The Promenade) because it's very close to the Dusty Pages stand. The Reverse Heel scroll is worth 120 Yuan! I bought like 50 of each book, exchanged all of them for the scrolls, and then sold all of the extra scroll books back to pawn shop and made nearly 5,000 Yuan!

TL;DR - 4 books worth 13 Yuan = Move Scroll worth 120 Yuan at pawn shop. Sell your extra scrolls back to the pawn shop. AFAIK this can be done an infinite amount of times. PROFIT!
No shame, I used this to make 30,000 in about 20 minutes. Started with 1,500, bought 120 of each book, then 200 of each book on my second run, done, thanks!

No shame, I used this to make 30,000 in about 20 minutes. Started with 1,500, bought 120 of each book, then 200 of each book on my second run, done, thanks!
The four books for move scroll exchange is definitely the quickest way to make money. You can make about 150,000 yuan in a real time hour, if you don't mind risking repetitive strain injury :sneaky:

yeah, part of me wonders if it's worth wearing out my controller for; then I think of standing at a lucky hit stand for days, and never look back.

Not interested in collecting sets (spent over 1,000 and still didn't get the Ryo forklift capsule...that put me off completely) so I stick to fishing and herb collecting. I like herbs the best because you can passively collect them while playing, then just make bank. Doesn't feel like work :)

It's not that rare. Sure, it takes a while sometimes, but you have to be patient. I had 3 of them, one for the quest, and 2 for me.

It's not that rare. Sure, it takes a while sometimes, but you have to be patient. I had 3 of them, one for the quest, and 2 for me.
I only wanted it to sell the set, and because it cost me 1,000+ to get the whole set it wasn't worth it at all. Unless you save-scum, I don't think gambling/gacha is a reliable way of making money...just like real life!

It's only really reliable because of scum-saving. You can do the same with capsule toys too, but I totally get that you might not want to do it.

Back