Many Mysteries Of Miao Village Finally Unfold

I can say no more, my fellow Dojo-ians. Unfortunately I have to keep it to myself. But there are 11 of these bad boys, though we were only given the first two. They are definitely interesting enough, and maybe one day after the series is over, I can offer to buy Yu a Ferrari in return for the other 9.

Attachments

• 20220821_133225.jpg
    20220821_133225.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 42
They were given only to backers who backed Shenmue 3 at 10k level.
What is fair is fair. These backer people along with Yu-san name were key in giving entity to the crowdfunding campaign. We all have memories of great crowdfunds don’t even LanDC I hate you starting engine because lacking big backers and no reaching the very basic goals.

I've made a post that covers bits and pieces of miscellaneous dialogue that Ryo can have around the village, with a quick mock-up to simulate the player choosing an option during the "Wude challenge" interaction with Master Yunhai:

action-selector.png

I think we also now have enough information to make an educated guess as to which is Kongzheng Luo's house from those AM2 screenshots.

https://www.phantomriverstone.com/2022/08/part-ten-secret-of-miao-village-extra.html

I've made a post that covers bits and pieces of miscellaneous dialogue that Ryo can have around the village, with a quick mock-up to simulate the player choosing an option during the "Wude challenge" interaction with Master Yunhai:

https://www.phantomriverstone.com/2022/08/part-ten-secret-of-miao-village-extra.html
Super interesting post, as always.

While reading it and getting the tone they intended to give to the village, I felt more and more sure that cutting that part was the right decision. Despite being interesting from a cultural point of view, it would have been too much new information (new characters, new layout, etc) and too much of a tone shift for a story beat so short.

And, of course, it would have spoiled the "magic" of the Guilin section in a big way. In fact, I wonder if a decision apparently as harsh as cutting a section with so many stuff already developed was lessened because, at that time, they could still have hope of developing a Shenmue III for the Dreamcast (and, thus, reusing all that for the proper Bailu Village). We know Suzuki explained at the end of development of Shenmue II they knew it was the last for some time, but that Miao village cut might have happened much earlier during development.

PS: I also think it was sensible to limit the wude to four. Since every one of them has a story bit attached to it, having seven would have made that arc drag for too long. And would have made it more difficult for the player to remember all of them :-).

I’d tend to agree. Disc 4 wouldn’t really quite have had the same impact if Ryo had already been to such a rural location already. Plus it wasn’t a complete waste, as most of the NPC’s were repurposed for Dragon Street :) (does make me wonder what Dragon Street was like before Miao Village was cut though…)

I’d tend to agree. Disc 4 wouldn’t really quite have had the same impact if Ryo had already been to such a rural location already. Plus it wasn’t a complete waste, as most of the NPC’s were repurposed for Dragon Street :) (does make me wonder what Dragon Street was like before Miao Village was cut though…)
Here's a small glimpse:

SHENMUE3.JPG

Last edited:
Back