Martial Arts

~ ひかり ~

このまま・・・時間が止まるといい
Site Staff
Favourite title
Shenmue
Currently playing
Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy (PS4)
Since i was a kid i always had interesting in Martial Arts. I don't remember well right now but i think i did Karate or Judo when i was a kid, but because of many reasons i stopped at that time.

Martial Arts are a really important part of the Shenmue Games, the care and attention to details about martial arts in the Shenmue games are really beautiful. In Shenmue III one of the things i love about the game is the attention and care with martial arts.

In Shenmue III we can train in many ways. We can train with the members of the Bailu hall and Wu Shen Hall, we can train with other characters too or we can train alone.

Alone we can train the One Inch Punch

One Inch Punch.jpg

Horse Stance

Horse Stance.jpg

And Rooster Step

Rooster Step.png

In martial arts training we need to repeat a lot of things this way, i love the training in this game for 2 reasons.

1. The game really shows what martial arts training looks like
2. Training is really important in this game, after training we can see Ryo getting stronger and i love that.

Another thing i want to say now is about this video. In this video Bruce Lee explains how he does not believe in styles anymore. Style is a crystallization that is difficult to change. Being style-less is the way to go. Incorporate what is useful, discard what isn't.

In my opinion Bruce Lee was not against Martial Arts styles, he is just saying that if you stick to only one style you limit yourself and i agree with him. Ryo is a good example for this, he learned with his father the japanese Jujutsu style but later he learned Kung Fu and Tai Chi Chuan.

One more thing i want to share with you all today is about the manga Kenji.

Synopsis

Kenji is a manga that follows the life of Kenji, a teenager who has practiced the martial art of Bajiquan since he was a child. During the manga and his training, he meets some real-life martial artists (like Adam Hsu and Liu Chia-Ling). This manga first introduces Bajiquan, but it also shows us many other martial arts, such as Tanglangquan, Baguazhang, Chen Taijiquan, Piguaquan, Xingyiquan, Xinyiliuhequan, Shaolinquan, Hung Gar, Daito Ryu Aikijujutsu, Shotokan Karate and many others and numerous styles.

IiRfxIVwr5SNN5HU8YUM1jnFTu93IPp91Snqulfm.jpg

Maybe Kenji was one of the inspirations for Yu Suzuki to do Shenmue, in the synopsis we can even see that the manga introduces Bajiquan. I will start reading this manga, looks really interesting and with similar things with Shenmue.

Here in this thread we can talk and share everything about Martial Arts, in my opinion this is a interesting subject, thank you

Last edited:
I loved how the idea of training was finally implemented as mini-games in Shenmue 3, and I really hope more show up in the future
I think the same about this, in my opinion this was a improvement and i love the training in this game, i really hope we can see more in Shenmue IV.

In this video we can see more about when Yu Suzuki met Bajiquan Grandmaster Wu Lian Zhi and what happened at that time, we can see more about Bajiquan. Interesting to see that they met in Meng Cun, this have a relation with Shenmue, i really think one day Ryo will go to Meng Cun.

ThatIsTheName.png

Nice to see that Grandmaster Wu Lian Zhi was the inspiration for Yu Suzuki to create Akira. Looks like Grandmaster Wu Lian Zhi and Yu Suzuki maintained the friendship over the years, really beautiful to see this.

DSC00618.jpg

Last edited:
I recently binged "The Art of Action" with Scott Adkins on YouTube and it is a must watch for martial arts movie fans. He basically interviews martial arts actors, they talk about their martial arts background, run through scenes in their films etc.
It's interesting to hear their stories and how they ended up in these films. For someone, such as myself, who grew up watching a lot of these films and is a huge martial arts/action movie movie geek, it's a very enjoyable watch.

I recently binged "The Art of Action" with Scott Adkins on YouTube and it is a must watch for martial arts movie fans. He basically interviews martial arts actors, they talk about their martial arts background, run through scenes in their films etc.
It's interesting to hear their stories and how they ended up in these films. For someone, such as myself, who grew up watching a lot of these films and is a huge martial arts/action movie movie geek, it's a very enjoyable watch.

I will watch, thanks for sharing.

What you wrote in the other thread is really nice and interesting, thanks for sharing with me. 😊

At first, I enjoyed martial arts in a cinematic sense from Ninja Turtles to Van Damme. Then when I was exposed to kickboxing, K-1, and the original UFC events, I started to enjoy it more in an athletic perspective as well. I started TKD as a kid and did it throughout elementary (got a black belt), and then my brother got me into wrestling, but I sucked at it. Towards the end of high school, I got into kickboxing and then started training MMA and jiujitsu when I was in college. It's weird in my early thirties, I got into Kyokushin Karate.

I wish the wooden dummies in the games were used to train combinations like they're used in real life, or just train specific moves like how you can in sparring.

XingYiQuan - The Martial Art practiced by Longqi Ge, the Red Snakes Boss.​

For those who want to know more on the martial arts styles featured in Shenmue 3; check out the following videos
on Xing YiQuan. They are worth watching; so check them out.

Back