Media impressions of the 15 minute gameplay trailer

Sounds good. But I guess the weird animations are here to stay. Can’t wait to see Ryo’s toilet walk!

I'll take funny animations. I want story and depth and that's what we will get. Also minor improvements can still be made

He did say fighting looks very fluid at least.

Despite taking Ryo to a more rustic, countryside-based setting, Shenmue 3 is just as densely packed as its predecessor. When the demo reaches a town, there’s a range of NPCs throughout. Suzuki says that the Choubu region in the game has over 500 NPCs. Talking to them is the same old Shenmue fare – it’s not so much focused on choice as world building, each conversation offering up a little context if not clues as to how to further progress.

That's interesting given the IGN Japan article and all...maybe not all 500 are interactive then, but it sounds like Shenmue of old by the way it's described there.

so what i saw in the google translated IGN article ...
classic day & and night circles (1 real hour = 1 ingame day), classic weather effects (wet ground, footsteps in the mud),
Ryo has to sleep, there are a lot of NPCs everywhere but you cant talk to everyone about story things - shop owners will only sell you stuff - important characters have a name tag above their head.

shops have way more to offer than before, talking to a shop owner opens a menue where you can see all the items.
eating will fill Ryo up, it can heal and buff him. you can sell things but you can also exchange items for other items.
Ryo still has all of the attacks of S1 & 2 but because they made the fighting mechanics from scratch
there is no throwing attack right now (?).

while or after fighting and training you can see how it affects different attributes,
you can change to a first person perspective - zoom on things and walk around in first person.
the third person perspective is not glued to Ryos back anymore - you can move it 360°.
shops are selling shoes, pants, shirts and jackets and other things you can wear.
you can not change the clothes of other characters like Shenhua but Suzuki is thinking about small DLC content.
there are a lot of different mini games and jobs to get money and to find unique items.

there are different dojos in the game world where you can find name tags outside -
all of the fighters are using a different fighting styles and its not possible to win against all of them right from the start.
Shenmue 3 has four difficulty modes.
if you are afraid that Shenmue 3 will be a supernatural fantasy game because of the S2 ending or the Shenmue Online trailer -
dont worry - Shenmue 3 will be the same Shenmue as 1+2.

One thing that’s changed, Suzuki says, is that shops will now be more plentiful in Shenmue 3 and stock a far wider range of items. He explained that in past games there were fewer stores but you could have longer, in-depth conversations with their owners. In this game, owners aren’t as fleshed out but the shops themselves are.

That's interesting and it makes something in the Japanese article make more sense now. There was a bit in the Japanese article that didn't read well through Google Translate that was essentially explaining this.

hard to tell. it seems like the guy who wrote the japanese IGN article wasnt a big fan
of the supernatural things of S2 or the S Online trailer so it was a personal question to Suzuki
because he was afraid that S3 will be all about flying swords, a superhero Shenhua and so on
and Suzuki told him that S3 is not about that. we dont know if this was a personal trustworthy answer
or if he had to say that because of spoilers.

did Suzuki answer that question with IGN in mind - so he lied maybe
or was this a personal answer just for this guy? then it was probably true.

Last edited:
The things I am most disappointed by is the robot walking animations and the lack of throw moves in the fighting system. How can you have a martial arts game without throw moves, especially when the first two had them. That doesn't even make any sense.

The rest I'm either okay with, or find very encouraging.

The things I am most disappointed by is the robot walking animations and the lack of throw moves in the fighting system. How can you have a martial arts game without throw moves, especially when the first two had them. That doesn't even make any sense.

The rest I'm either okay with, or find very encouraging.
Excuse my stupidity but I missed that in the translation from Google.

Where does it say there are no throw moves? I must keep missing it.

Excuse my stupidity but I missed that in the translation from Google.

Where does it say there are no throw moves? I must keep missing it.

I am just going by what people have described in various threads so far. I am waiting for an official English translations. If it turns out to be correct, I will remain disappointed, if there are indeed throw moves then great, we can disgard my opinion on that. But again, for now, from what people have described as the Google machine translation text, I am tentatively disappointed.

I am just going by what people have described in various threads so far. I am waiting for an official English translations. If it turns out to be correct, I will remain disappointed, if there are indeed throw moves then great, we can disgard my opinion on that. But again, for now, from what people have described as the Google machine translation text, I am tentatively disappointed.
Ah ok. See I read nothing of the sort but as you said we need to wait for the proper translation.

it said there are no throw attacks because they made the fighting mechanics from scratch, all of it,
and there was not enough time or they couldnt make it look right or whatever. its hard to tell what is translated right or wrong.

Back