Mental Health Dojo

My best man got engaged on Monday and I called him to wish him congratulations (and sent him a text yesterday, in case he didn't get my voicemail), 'cause my wife and I are so happy and over the moon for him.

He didn't respond at all and that had me a bit in the dumps, as he's always quick to respond and I thought that perhaps I did or said something wrong.

He msgd me back about an hour ago, saying that he's been bogged down with work and the like and that's why it took so long to get back (which I had figured was the case in the first place).

Once a bit of doubt creeps into my head, despite me trying to stay positive, there's that little black cloud that grabs my arm and constantly reminds me about that doubt and it doesn't let go until there is a resolution.

Sometimes, you just have to remind yourself that the despair is only temporary and there will always be a light at the end of the tunnel, even if it takes a while, as I mentioned above, it can't rain all the time... or, to take P.O.D.'s lyrics, "it can't rain everyday, it don't rain forever." They also have another line that goes, "if joy really comes in the morning-time, then imma sit back and wait until the next sunrise."

Always look forward and even though it's hard (VERY hard, sometimes), do your best to suppress that despair!

If you ever need to chat, @Dietsoap , shoot me a PM! (goes for everyone too :))
Thanks Truck, that's very kind of you. And you're absolutely 100% right, it's all about acknowledging the storm will pass and focusing on what's actionable in the present/future. Worrying about a resolution never brings it about any faster. (y)

Do you guys ever get soul-crushing waves of despair for seemingly no reason at all? Because I've been getting those a lot the past few days. Thanks brain.
Yep. For me it's because, even though something major has been accomplished or rectified, I'm still not in the position I want to be. I've been stressing since February about the fact I didn't have a job. I got a job which relieved the pressure but despair waves over me as I seriously doubt my ability to do said job. My issue with constant fatigue is also not solved so that becomes another reason for despair. Just like waves however, it comes and goes.

Has anyone here overcome sleeping issues? For as long as I can remember I've had a problem with fatigue and feeling down. I've lived with it but the past couple years it has affected my motivation at work. One thing I'm struggling with is falling asleep. I'll constantly be in and out of sleep all night and on many occasions wake up around 1-3am and not be able to go back to bed.

My previous job required a lot of travel and I slept in different hotels but always an issue of me not being able to sleep. This year, something else I've not been able to do is sleep in the middle of the day. If I had a rough night, what would make me feel better is sleeping in the afternoon but now it does not physically happen. I'll lie down, try to sleep but never doze off despite feeling extremely tired.

Just curious if anyone here has had sleep issue and been able to improve it.

Do you guys ever get soul-crushing waves of despair for seemingly no reason at all? Because I've been getting those a lot the past few days. Thanks brain.
Yep. I have unipolar depression and extreme bouts of anxiety. Sometimes one little thing can set it off, sometimes it happens for no reason. I normally get it two or three times a year and it normally lasts about a month or so.

I'd actually managed to go almost a whole year without a major incident, until the last couple of days. Suddenly it's back with a vengeance. Suddenly my heart is beating madly and I have a sinking feeling in my stomach and life is meaningless and everything is terrible and will never ever get better. I understand why people commit suicide, it's not just that things are bad, it's because they're 100% convinced that things will never get better. Your brain is telling you that it's literally impossible to feel anything but pain and horror and sadness ever again. I've been on the precipice myself a few times.

I find reading other peoples experiences helps a bit, so this thread has been helpful that last couple of days. I hope you all feel better soon, it does get better, despite what your brain is telling you.

Dojo family,

Things are all right. We're in the home stretch of the home purchase, but we've had serious trouble with the sellers dragging their feet.

Our home appraised for over the sale price, but our loan was contingent on some painting being done(older home has that requirement). The sellers agreed to paint it at their expense.

Fast forward into waiting to close, it was revealed that the seller did not put their parent's home into a trust. Not only that, they were just taking their sweet time on the painting.

It wasn't maliciously done, they just didn't know what to do and that a timetable matters. My realtor had to bring in his OWN painter to get it done.

As of today, they STILL haven't filed the estate with the court, after which it must sit for a week...how it was even able to be put up for sale without a clear title blows everyone's mind, especially with an experienced seller agent representing them.

Our closing was supposed to be Monday...its now TBD.

Lender is frustrated, realtor is frustrated, I'm frustrated. The sellers have put in the option for us to take occupancy prior to closing, which I've hitherto refused hoping they'd do their due diligence.

If they keep dragging ass, I'll probably have to as we can't stay here much longer.

Has anyone here overcome sleeping issues? For as long as I can remember I've had a problem with fatigue and feeling down. I've lived with it but the past couple years it has affected my motivation at work. One thing I'm struggling with is falling asleep. I'll constantly be in and out of sleep all night and on many occasions wake up around 1-3am and not be able to go back to bed.

My previous job required a lot of travel and I slept in different hotels but always an issue of me not being able to sleep. This year, something else I've not been able to do is sleep in the middle of the day. If I had a rough night, what would make me feel better is sleeping in the afternoon but now it does not physically happen. I'll lie down, try to sleep but never doze off despite feeling extremely tired.

I'm a fairly heavy sleeper (an Amber Alert/Alarm has to go off or someone needs to touch me heavily, otherwise I don't wake up. I also wake up if our dog starts to cry, but that's a subconscious thing, I believe) and I typically get 6:45-8:00 hours of sleep during the week, 8:00+ hours on the weekend, without fail.

It's become common-knowledge nowadays and I have experienced it myself in my own day to day, but exercise is a key thing to getting good sleep; even going for a half-hour walk every day (or my hitting the heavy bag for 15 minutes) will help the mind and body and assuredly, help you sleep.

Also what you eat and when you eat it has an effect, but that varies from person to person (I can have an espresso-lungo literally 5 minutes before bed and I'll fall asleep right away. I have actually had a can of Pepsi while in bed, when I've been on vacation or rugby tour, etc. and I've fallen asleep immediately).

In my experience, there are two things where your sitch has come up: when I was 10/11 years old (Grade 5, year 2000), I also woke up every night, without fail, at about 3:30-4:00 and didn't go back to sleep. There were 2 things stressing me out a bit and that was the Green Vampire from Are you Afraid of the Dark?'s episode, the Night Shift (I still can't see this guy today without some spooks going on and this started more in 1999) and a 20-second portion of a track from the soundtrack to, To Live and Die in LA by Wang Chung.

As a 31-year old adult who isn't fazed by pretty much anything anymore, it's quite silly to look back on... but those two things played with my head to DEATH when I woke up in the dead of night and as soon as I would wake up, the chilling sound would play in my head and I'd imagine the Green Vampire coming for me like he does the characters in the show.

That seemed to abruptly stop in mid-late June of 2000 and hasn't bothered me since. Therefore, could it be that you're super-stressed out, more than ever right now and that's why you can't fall asleep again?

The other sitch is my father; he's been saying for years that he's had maybe 3 nights of sleep A YEAR, where he sleeps consistently without waking up. Otherwise, it's 2:00-4:00 hours a night and he wakes up a dozen times throughout the night. He doesn't eat poorly (never has, for that matter), was a runner for most of his life and is not-really stressed out too much, so it's just how he is, sadly.

Have you ever spoken to your doctor about it? They know your body best (well, besides yourself lol) and may think of something to help!

First time in this thread but I feel it’s one of few I can vent in safely. Have really tried to open up more to friends and family in the past just to receive criticism, and they wonder why I am reluctant to afterwards. Not that I want anyone to agree or encourage anything I do necessarily but I’d rather just share it without needing to constantly be on the defensive.

So the past month and a half has been pretty stressful, with moving across country. Exciting at first and I don’t fully regret it, but there have been a ton of issues to work through. Leaving the job I have hated for the past few years was great, but now I don’t know what to do for work here. The prospect of very little snow was nice, but now I’m having trouble going from my favorite fall weather in New Hampshire to this heat in New Mexico. The traffic is especially rough going from my small nothing town to a city like Albuquerque (though I guess I should be glad it’s nothing like NYC or literally anywhere in Massachusetts). Lastly I had to leave my cat behind with my sister, both of whom I’ll miss along with my brother, his girlfriend, and my niece.

The biggest thing is moving into this house my late uncle left behind. Staying at a BnB not far from there, we have a total of two weeks here...today is only day 4 but the rest seems really daunting. Tons of vehicles in the yard, garage filled to the brim, 3 beds, one of which was still filled with water, and the one in which he died filled with bugs. A lot of areas where the drywall is damaged from leaking or termites. Tons of old tvs and radios and appliances as far back as the 70s not even opened. Medicine from back then, too. Way more I don’t even want to get into. Trying to yard sale stuff or even give away but a ton we have had to get multiple dumpsters for. And this isn’t even the first time we came to clean it. All these years and he never seemed to let on he was holding onto so much stuff to the point he couldn’t even get to his own bathroom or kitchen and only had a small space to actually sleep in.
Last night I had a bit of a nightmare? Dream? Not really certain since many just seem to have little difference to me by the end. We were all settled into the house and everything was fine and dandy, but for whatever reason my father decided to let an ex-crush of mine stay over and embarrass me, and after everyone had gone to bed we decided to argue and fight and somehow we’d both got hold of weapons - a pretty big survival knife and a big ass machete that my uncle seems to have multiple of. I got a cut or two in but ultimately she cut me into pieces with the machete. I can’t say for sure but it was one of the more violent dreams I’ve had. Thing is it also felt really sexual, and I don’t recall how it got that way after I apparently died and came back.

This girl I’ve had dreams about before off and on, just like whatever friendship we had, but it’s been definitely over for over a few years now, and with more than half the country apart(so far as I know) it’s just frustrating that this is where my subconscious seems to go when I think I’m thinking of other things. I don’t doubt part of it has to do with her specifically, however I think a lot of it has to do with not saying proper goodbyes to anyone back home, feeling guilty but also kinda resentful not many seemed to care much that I was leaving anyway. Many years ago I had a far more abstract dream wherein I supposedly murdered her, but it was like I blacked out within the dream and had no idea if it was actually me or not. I guess these are things to mull over between cleaning and looking for a job - if not for my own mental health, than at least for working on my art.

It's not a laughing matter, but I found your dream to be a touch humourous and then you saying that it, "felt really sexual," made me chuckle a bit more ;) (but I'm not laughing AT you, I promise; just enjoying what you wrote :))

I always thought it would be neat to clean a hoarder's house, especially since you take over everything and can keep/discard what you want at will, but I never realized the very seriousness of having to go through everything and clean it (if you want to keep it) or still touch it to throw away (if you don't).

I think by the time you've gone through everything you'll make a few bucks and you'll find that the home is more-than fixable!

Either way, enjoy your new adventure down south (though I too would miss the autumn :()

I'm a fairly heavy sleeper (an Amber Alert/Alarm has to go off or someone needs to touch me heavily, otherwise I don't wake up. I also wake up if our dog starts to cry, but that's a subconscious thing, I believe) and I typically get 6:45-8:00 hours of sleep during the week, 8:00+ hours on the weekend, without fail.

It's become common-knowledge nowadays and I have experienced it myself in my own day to day, but exercise is a key thing to getting good sleep; even going for a half-hour walk every day (or my hitting the heavy bag for 15 minutes) will help the mind and body and assuredly, help you sleep.

Also what you eat and when you eat it has an effect, but that varies from person to person (I can have an espresso-lungo literally 5 minutes before bed and I'll fall asleep right away. I have actually had a can of Pepsi while in bed, when I've been on vacation or rugby tour, etc. and I've fallen asleep immediately).

In my experience, there are two things where your sitch has come up: when I was 10/11 years old (Grade 5, year 2000), I also woke up every night, without fail, at about 3:30-4:00 and didn't go back to sleep. There were 2 things stressing me out a bit and that was the Green Vampire from Are you Afraid of the Dark?'s episode, the Night Shift (I still can't see this guy today without some spooks going on and this started more in 1999) and a 20-second portion of a track from the soundtrack to, To Live and Die in LA by Wang Chung.

As a 31-year old adult who isn't fazed by pretty much anything anymore, it's quite silly to look back on... but those two things played with my head to DEATH when I woke up in the dead of night and as soon as I would wake up, the chilling sound would play in my head and I'd imagine the Green Vampire coming for me like he does the characters in the show.

That seemed to abruptly stop in mid-late June of 2000 and hasn't bothered me since. Therefore, could it be that you're super-stressed out, more than ever right now and that's why you can't fall asleep again?

The other sitch is my father; he's been saying for years that he's had maybe 3 nights of sleep A YEAR, where he sleeps consistently without waking up. Otherwise, it's 2:00-4:00 hours a night and he wakes up a dozen times throughout the night. He doesn't eat poorly (never has, for that matter), was a runner for most of his life and is not-really stressed out too much, so it's just how he is, sadly.

Have you ever spoken to your doctor about it? They know your body best (well, besides yourself lol) and may think of something to help!

Spoke to doctors, had blood test, urine test, heart test and so on but nothing. I am overweights, could afford to lose 20/30kg easily. Before I got to the doctors again I want to get down to 120kg as that's the lightest I remember myself being in the last 10 years or so. With that said, even when I was young and active I still struggled with fatigue (not necessarily sleeping).

I used to have problems getting to sleep until I started taking a couple of melatonin tablets about an hour before bed. Worth giving it a shot.

Thanks Truck. Yeah I think the way I wrote it sounds a bit sillier than the way it felt at the time lol. I guess that’s often how they are for the most part. If I were more lucid I might realize how ridiculous some are before waking up.

There was one other dream I had some weeks prior, wherein my brother and I were living in my grandmother’s house, and he wanted to party all night with friends while trying to tell me to sleep, as if I were still a kid. Eventually he told me to put his daughter to bed, only to have her trip and fall and hit her head and not get back up. I think that’s one of very few dreams I’ve had where I’ve woken shouting. Most of my others are way more nonsensical and random.

My niece seems too young to understand the implications of us moving, all she kept saying last we saw her was “Why does memere have to go to the desert” and crying and screaming, stuff she hasn’t genuinely done whenever we left for a couple years. Thinking I’ll try to use some of my art and writing to make her some bedtime story to send her and make her feel better about it while I’m out of work.

On the topic of hoarding, I have found a couple things, but...a lot of it is so dust covered and in such awful condition I don’t know if I really want any of it. On the bright side we have made a ton of money to get us some new appliances and it’s a lesson on what anyone really needs to hold on to to be happy.

The girl in my dream was probably the closest I’ve had to any relationship, but it’s hard to say what she really felt at any given point. Maybe closer to the “gay best friend” stereotype lol. Only one I’ve taken walks with, late at night, who’s slept on my bed, seemed to go out of her way to meet me and tell me everything, even show me everything at one point...I suppose it’s kind of telling you don’t want to be the one they trust and rely on all the time, but to my autist teen brain, all of these were signs she was secretly into me and I couldn’t understand why she was with so many guys who made her unhappy. Made for lots of arguments.

For the most part I’d think I should be happy now to have her and others like her out of my life, but there’s some part of me that hasn’t processed that yet. Hoping as I get older I’ll just get past that and be able to do whatever I enjoy without this kind of baggage. This friend I know in China, Angie...it’s not strictly a relationship, we haven’t really talked about what it is, probably because it’s not a sure thing we’ll ever meet, but being as independent as I am now, it’s likely a good thing. Lots of times I still feel lonely, and feel good when we get to talk, but seeing other married couples now and my parents, just seems I’d hate to have someone nag me about every little thing and have me work to death while simultaneously complaining I’m not home enough. I just like having someone to talk to who seems to appreciate me.

Reminds me of a song...and Talking Heads always makes me happy.

While I've had more dreams with people I know in them, in the past 2 years or so, I almost NEVER dream about people I know; it was a ratio of like 1 dream out of every 7, would have someone I know in it: everyone else was all someone random out of my sub consciousness.

That is AWESOME (doing some art to make a bedtime-story-esque thing) and if it goes well with her, perhaps you should see if it's something that can be marketed! :D

I will say, I love married life and I love my wife to bits; she truly is my best friend and aside from playing videogames (actually, at those times too lol) on my own time, I would want her to be with me 24/7 as I do things, be it mundane tasks or seeing the world/going on a trip.

I deal with the nagging and little things because they're just that; little things. I know what we have going on and our beliefs/values are the same down to our core and those big things are eternally more-important than any amount of the little issues.

It's why we never have true fights; we do have our little tussles and annoyances here and there, but actual nasty fights? I can count on one hand the amount we've had since we started dating, almost 9 years ago (and even then, they only started when we began living together, in 2016, natch).

In my own personal opinion, keep any relationship you think is worthwhile, going, especially if it's a two-way street relationship (IE: you call/talk to each other equally, if you guys go out, one person isn't paying/doing all the work all the time, etc.). If you're the only one putting out any effort, then that's something you need to look at and see if you get any enjoyment/fulfillment out of it, in order to continue it.

Given that it's long-distance, it may make things a bit trickier, but I sadly have no experience in long-distance relationships, thus I don't feel comfortable with my knowledge, in giving advice :(

Being the last single guy in your group of friends kind of sucks sometimes. All my friends have moved on. Married, kids, the mortgage, the lot. Me? I'm still here at the age of 33, single, no kids, same job I've had for 13 years with no clue what I want from life. It sometimes gets pretty lonely. It's not like my friends don't talk to me, but it's not like I have much in common with them anymore either. I sometimes feel like it's becoming more and more of an obligation to message each other as opposed to a joy to talk to each other.

I don't know. Maybe it's in my head. But I do get the feeling we're drifting apart more and more and ever since I entered my 30's, it's been nagging at me.

Hi my fellow Shenmue fans!
You're probably wondering why and where I've been to as well, so I decided to drop by and share my sad story as well.
In September I was in hospital on a psychiatric ward due to severe intrusive suicidal thoughts. May I remind and share with you guys, that I have been diagnosed with 4 mental disorders, which are at times truly gut-wrenching and pestering. While I was at the ward, I made lots of new friends with similar disorders and took part in some rehab program, but most importantly: I was filled to the brim with drugs to normalize my thoughts and I am currently feeling much better, BUT, there is another problem:
Since I am only 25 and I share my house with my parents (it's THEIR house not mine) and legally a mentally handicapped individual, I normally help them out with chores and pay some of their bills. My mom works at the... hospital, as a nurse and the problem is the current ongoing Covid 19 situation. Unfortunately, my mother tested positive for the virus and as of Oct 23, me and my parents are in quarantine. No work. No visits. No shopping.
My country is currently facing a crisis of epic proportions, the medical workers are completely exhausted, everything is closed, there are police and watchmen patrolling the streets at night, because we have a curfew, people are dying, and as for our government? I'm at loss for words.
I certainly hope you guys are staying healthy and are avoiding unnecessary contact with others. Let's all cross our fingers to get this pandemic out of our way and hope for the vaccine to arrive ASAP. Until then, I have Shenmue 3 to replay, herbs to collect and my trophy case to fill. Stay healthy and safe

Being the last single guy in your group of friends kind of sucks sometimes. All my friends have moved on. Married, kids, the mortgage, the lot. Me? I'm still here at the age of 33, single, no kids, same job I've had for 13 years with no clue what I want from life. It sometimes gets pretty lonely. It's not like my friends don't talk to me, but it's not like I have much in common with them anymore either. I sometimes feel like it's becoming more and more of an obligation to message each other as opposed to a joy to talk to each other.

I don't know. Maybe it's in my head. But I do get the feeling we're drifting apart more and more and ever since I entered my 30's, it's been nagging at me.
I know that feeling Daniel. I am 25, and most of my friends have also got married and already have children and diplomas, while I don't. And this was the reason why I decided to drop by at the mental health dojo. Only time will tell, you can read my post I just wrote

My Grand Uncle who's ninety now told me several years back "You become a different person every 7 years (give or take a year or two)".

I first didn't think much about it but the older I get, the more I realize how true this is. Being in my 30s now, I realized I'm a completely different guy than I was in my early to mid-twenties.

II've lost contact with a lot of people from my past but that's probably because they are also different people now.

My Grand Uncle who's ninety now told me several years back "You become a different person every 7 years (give or take a year or two)".

I first didn't think much about it but the older I get, the more I realize how true this is. Being in my 30s now, I realized I'm a completely different guy than I was in my early to mid-twenties.

II've lost contact with a lot of people from my past but that's probably because they are also different people now.
Very interesting that he said that because I think I've read that in one of my Tao books that mentioned a cycle of 7 years where your personaliy changes. Everything comes and goes in cycles. Our sun, our planet, our body, everything seems to follow a certain pattern. But after all, everything is connected to everything.
- - - - - - -
To everyone: I have read some of your experiences and I wanted to share a method that have helped me through tough times and many others as well. This particular method is very easy for everyone to practice and it can be more effective than you think.

I highly, highy, recommend listening to Wim Hof and his methods. Both the Breathing technique and the Cold Showers.
What you can do is that you could start with the cold showers. Most people have a shower with cold water in their home.

The colder the better. You can shower in warm water first, then switch to cold water. Shower for 2 minutes in cold water. The intense breathing starts naturally. First you're probably going to get very uncomfortable but this will change over time.
I'd say after 14 days you will start to feel more used to it.
Avoid showering your head at the beginning. Keep the water under chin level.
You could go for, let say, warm water, then 1 minute cold water, then warm water again, then cold water for 1 minute, and finish with a warm shower. If that is too much, recude it to 1 minute total instead of 2.

This I can guarantee will improve your sleep and you will feel mentally much more stable than before you took the shower.
The Wim Hof breathing technique is also very effective. But I know that with anxiety this breathing can be difficult.
That's the reason I think the showers are the best starting point because you naturally start to breathe in a similar way when taking a cold shower. You can find more about the breathing by listening to Wim.

This may sound boring to you, or you rather not doing it. And I understand that, but there's a lot going on in the brain when you're getting exposed to something uncomfortable like a cold shower. Wim Hof talks about this in detail. He has trained, and cured people with severe mental illness, making them so strong and resistant to cold that they could walk up a mountain during winter time only dressed in shorts and boots. People who wanted to kill themselves got their lifes saved by Wim's methods and made a 180-turn.

I have been taking cold showers for a long time and will comtinue to do so. I have never been as mentally stable as I am right now. I know other things as well that help a lot. But this one I think is the easiest and most accessable method for everyone to do. I also do the breathing. I haven't done these thing in a while, not every day. But I will start doing it again and also combine this with lifting weights.

When I first took the cold showers I screamed; "ooh, ough, oh god, Aaaa , AAAAAHHH!!", or something along those lines.
But now I just stand there like it's nothing for two full minutes. Sometimes longer. And I feel great.

* The Wim Hof method is backed by science and literally anybody with working lungs can practice his methods.
- the science has proved the W.H-method extremely effective and that the human body is capable of much more than previously believed by mainstream science.
* It can boost your testosterone levels, which is very good if you're a man. But women benefit from cold showers too.
* It lowers high blood preassure. I know many men in their 50s that have stopped using their medicine and therefore also
didn't have to deal with the side effect of these pills.
* It effectively boosts your immune system, prevents many negative health conditions, and you can save your money because a cold shower doesn't cost as much as pills or visits to a hospital.
* It improves your circulation, like a lot. You will probably not sweat as much as you did before. At least I didn't.
- it helps the blood to circulate even in the tiniest blood vessles.
* You will sleep like a baby. It helps with sleeping problems, better than pills and no side effects.
* It helpes the nutrients to get into the muscles, and all over the body where it is needed.
* It helps your muscles to recover after a workout session. Less muscle pain.
* It reduces pain of all kinds.
* Highly effective against depression. It helps (forces) the mind to focus on the present moment.
- it's because the body needs to focus on the cold and the cold ´triggers´ certain brain functions like, one example is the so called the ´blue spot´ in the brain (if I remembered this correctly). The brain literally can create multiple chemicals such as DMT on its own. And that includes the ´happy hormones´ because when I look at myself in the mirror after a cold shower I see a big smile plastered on my face, and I feel good. This feeling can actually last very long.
* Brain Plasticity: Your brain can actually change. It can we wired in a ´less good´ way, but this can easly be changed. When a person for example takes cold showers or starts to work out lifting weights, his/her brain starts to rewire and work differently in a more beneficial way.

and much, much, more...
(Combine this with a healthy diet, lifting some weights, spending time in nature (or where there is greenery), and you're on a different life path, for sure.)

* Notice, do not take cold showers if you feel sick (having shiverrs etc.) or if you have the flu. But otherwise. There is nothing dangerous with the cold. But I highly recommend that as a beginner you finish with a warm showers. Otherwise you can get a little shiverry afterwards.
But that mostly disappear after a while. And another notice, don't over do it. When you feel it's enough, it's enough.
Last note; Doing this without any type of medication probably gives the best results but it shouldn't be anywhere near dangerous if you do take some medication, did anyone die of showers? If you're unsure ask your doctor or go by your gut feeling.

With this information I hope that I helped and / or inspired at least some people here to try it out and I hope you will feel better of this -- and that you find more ways to improve your health in order to become the (real) best version of you.

I know, but Just do it! (y)"A cold shower a day keeps the doctor away" - Wim Hof

For me, it was the opposite! lol.

There were many people who I had lost contact with/became acquaintances with, who got married and had their own home, but mine (and my wife's) inner-circle are still all single/not married and do not own a home (save for 2 in my camp, who are both the same age as me and one of them just purchased their home this year; the rest of my circle is all 2 years younger or more).

We are planning on conceiving next year as well (wanted to this year, but the pandemic screwed that up), so that'll be another thing where we have moved on to the next step, while they are all behind. It depresses my wife sometimes, because she has no one she can talk to about these things, to help her with her thoughts, goals and experiences. For me, it's not as big a deal, as I can live without the outside world 100%, if I need to lol.

So yeah, I get where you're coming from; there can be many reasons why (and the 7-year thing below is very intriguing), either it's not your time yet, you aren't meant to be with someone or something along those lines, but I feel that if you're happy with your life, stay the course.

If you feel impassioned by another field or hobby, do it! For us to be young, time is on our side so we could recover if things go amiss, but we still have a lot of time to figure things out. You Dan, at least, live on your own and are self-sufficient; it appears like you can adapt into any situation or job. One of my wife's cousins is 4 years older than me (35), has 2 kids, is divorced, lives with her parents and hasn't worked since 2015, because, "she's still finding herself."

I would say to continue to give it time and by branching out into languages and streaming, it looks like you are trying new things, thus the good stuff may be right around the corner! ;)

Hi my fellow Shenmue fans!
You're probably wondering why and where I've been to as well, so I decided to drop by and share my sad story as well.
In September I was in hospital on a psychiatric ward due to severe intrusive suicidal thoughts. May I remind and share with you guys, that I have been diagnosed with 4 mental disorders, which are at times truly gut-wrenching and pestering. While I was at the ward, I made lots of new friends with similar disorders and took part in some rehab program, but most importantly: I was filled to the brim with drugs to normalize my thoughts and I am currently feeling much better, BUT, there is another problem:
Since I am only 25 and I share my house with my parents (it's THEIR house not mine) and legally a mentally handicapped individual, I normally help them out with chores and pay some of their bills. My mom works at the... hospital, as a nurse and the problem is the current ongoing Covid 19 situation. Unfortunately, my mother tested positive for the virus and as of Oct 23, me and my parents are in quarantine. No work. No visits. No shopping.
My country is currently facing a crisis of epic proportions, the medical workers are completely exhausted, everything is closed, there are police and watchmen patrolling the streets at night, because we have a curfew, people are dying, and as for our government? I'm at loss for words.
I certainly hope you guys are staying healthy and are avoiding unnecessary contact with others. Let's all cross our fingers to get this pandemic out of our way and hope for the vaccine to arrive ASAP. Until then, I have Shenmue 3 to replay, herbs to collect and my trophy case to fill. Stay healthy and safe

Praying for you and yours, Shansun; hope things will improve for you (and Europe on the whole), soon!

This is the first I've seen of this being mentioned and I'm super-intrigued; I think I'm going to look into this closer and really extrapolate some things.

BTW, @blixt is right about the cold showers; I only take them in the summer-time (when it is warm out) and man, don't they ever feel good.

Thank you Truck_1_0_1 for sharing your thoughts on the situation and for being sympathetic towards others! Fortunately me and my family are feeling fine and have developed a strong immune system against the virus. It could be the fact that my mother works in direct contact with Covid-positive patients and has therefore developed partial immunity, but it could also be because we enjoy eating lots of fruits and vegetables (just like Ryo Hazuki). Let us all hear our prayers in hopes of getting the pandemic under control and getting the vaccine out and ready to be distributed. Once again thank you, stay healthy and safe!

Glad to see this thread :)
Mental health was something I struggled with for a long time, as some of you may know. I finally managed to find a good mixture of medication and behavioral therapy about a year ago which has helped alot with issues I was having. I won't go into details but my family has a pretty bad genetic trait that gets passed along, that along side some really traumatic childhood experiences, skewed my perception of reality and led to some nasty anxiety for very long periods of time. Luckily now it is under control and diagnosed.

I hope you are all doing well during these hard times. If anyone ever wants to vent to someone I am always available by PM (however I do take awhile to respond sometimes). Being in lockdown for long periods of time, I am sure is hard for many. It is very isolating.

Much love!

Last edited:
Back