Microsoft teaming up with Sega

If this is a re branding deal -- say it's called SEGA Xbox Series X in Japan in an attempt to re brand the clusterfuck that is Xbox in Japan -- then I question will it really work?
I was wondering about that, and my conclusion is that they ultimately have nowhere to go but up at this point. So relatively speaking, yes. Would it be worth whatever they'd need to effectively pay Sega (either through services, waivers, or straight up money-hat)? Idk. That said, Dreamcast was on track to match or surpass the Saturn in JP sales if they didn't kill it off so early. And while the MD was well behind the PC-Engine and SFC that gen, that 4 million or w/e it was is still an incredible leap over everything MS has ever done in the region.

Also depending on what a rebranded Sexbox looks like, I might just be a big enough sucker to import one. :oops:

I just cant see how this would work. I mean for example Sega is going to release Yakuza (7) Like A Dragon
on the PS4, Xbox One (+ Series X) and Steam / PC this year.
It took them forever to bring back this series to the western Playstation market,
and even longer to finally bring them to Steam and Xbox.
Imagine if they would announce that the next Yakuza game will be Xbox exclusive.
Thats a terrible idea. Thats pretty much saying "thanks for the support guys, but f you. Buy a Xbox now."
It would mean nothing but trouble for Microsoft, Xbox, Sega, and RGG Studio.

And even if it just affects the japanese market, its still a terrible idea.
It makes sense that the Switch is super popular and the PS4 is kind of popular,
because they have tons of japanese IPs and the consoles are japanese trademarks.
The Xbox is not made by a japanese company and it doesnt have a lot of japanese IPs.
Now if they want to change that by making Sega games exclusive to the new Xbox,
that wont change anything unless Microsoft bought tons, like tons and tons and tons and tons and tons
of japanese companies / IPs. Otherwise all thats going to happen is that Sega games will sell even less in Japan.
You can maybe catch some hardcore Sega fans with this but thats not going to compensate the missing sales numbers
of people who didnt switch over to Xbox.

Same for the world wide market. This will only work if Microsoft somehow was able to buy
IPs that only were available on the PS4 / Nintendo Switch before. Tons of them. Just Sega is not enough.
Otherwise they are just going to annoy Sega fans for no reason.

And even if they had such a deal with Sega in Japan or worldwide,
do we really believe that Shenmue 4 would be a part of such a deal?
Like Microsoft funded Shenmue 4 (directly or indirectly) to push the new Xbox or their game repertoire?
Like to make it look like Microsoft is our friend because they funded Shenmue 4?
Nah, i dont believe that. No chance.

I've had a pie in sky wish since last gen for the industry, which has been progressively mirroring PC since Dreamcast and especially since PS4/XBONE; adopt an old computer fad--particularly Japanese and European--of licensing out their boxes like MSX.

Personally I'd prefer a SEGA PS4 or Dreamstation, but I know I'd instantly be on XBOX for first time since the OG if Sega made a Japanese XSX.

Also, more Sega lovers from west probably import more than each of the past 3 generations of XBOX in Japan, if not combined haha

Imagine if they would announce that the next Yakuza game will be Xbox exclusive.
Thats a terrible idea. Thats pretty much saying "thanks for the support guys, but f you. Buy a Xbox now."

They did this to Xbox fans after the OG Xbox. Titles like Crazy Taxi 3, House of the Dead 3, Panzer Dragoon Orta and Jet Set Radio Future all appeared on the platform, then Sega pretty much pulled the rug out from beneath the players and jumped ship to Playstation. Look at how many Sega titles appear exclusively on PS4 these days, Sakura Wars is the most recent example.

Honestly speaking, I can't see any rebranding of the Xbox happening in Japan. If anything, MS would have paid Sega to develop some of their IPs for the Xbox exclusively. Maybe some dormant IPs from the past in a revive that isn't affecting what Sony and Nintendo are getting. That's what I'm hoping for, anyway.

Last edited:
Not definite confirmation but it is a good hit that it has nothing to do with MS and that' what I have thought. Sega and Microsoft have nothing in common. They live in different worlds and these two worlds should not collide.

Xbox Sega.jpg
There is definitely something going on between Sega and Microsoft, if it has something to do with what will be unveiled in the 4th of june nobody knows yet. Will have to wait and see.

Reactions: red
As I said, I'd just be happy at this point seeing new entries or remakes of classic Sega IPs, exclusive or not! Skies of Arcadia, Burning Rangers, Panzer Dragoon Saga... even a new Virtua Fighter!

Last edited:
I do not buy into that rumors. Because they do not make any sense. Sega has nothing to gain from MS. MS wants to turn the whole gaming into industry into cloud gaming without any dedicated consoles. This might be the last console generation forever. What about the Arcade business from Sega? MS is not interested in stuff like that. And I doubt that Sega will close them just to please the windows company. They might work with MS to bring the games to Box. But that's it.

View attachment 7972
There is definitely something going on between Sega and Microsoft, if it has something to do with what will be unveiled in the 4th of june nobody knows yet. Will have to wait and see.
Wasnt that whole rumour debunked back in April?

June 4th we will know for sure.

Well that chinese guy (who already saw the full upcoming Famitsu article) already said
that we are basically on a completey wrong path
with our guesses and it seems like the announcement has nothing to do with Microsoft at all.
So i mean there will be a announcement, its confirmed
but its probably something completely different then we think.
Pretty sure it wont have anything to do with a Xbox rebrand or Xbox exclusive games
and its certainly not about Shenmue 4.

Last edited:
oNlIauTk_400x400.jpg

Sega Europe just updated the logo.

Note the colours under power edition?

View attachment 7972
This is just someone reposting nonsense they read on social media like it's news.

This is just someone reposting nonsense they read on social media like it's news.
It says it is a rumour and it should be taken into account as such. What I have seen lately is that Microsoft and Sega have been making some deals so it is not far fetched to speculate that they might become partners in some sort of deal.
Recently Pso2 became playable in Xbox one X; now the Yakuza Frachise is coming to Game Pass; Yakuza 7 like a Dragon will be a launch title on Xbox one X and Xbox Series X. I definitely don't want Microsoft to buy Sega nor do I think that is going to happen, but one thing is certain, Microsoft wants desperately to increase their sales in the Japanese market and due to the relationship that Microsoft and Sega have had in the past, Sega is the perfect door for Microsoft to enter the Japanese market.

oNlIauTk_400x400.jpg

Sega Europe just updated the logo.

Note the colours under power edition?
From what it seems other sega accounts have the gay pride flag behind their logo, so it's probably just that, unrelated to whatever announcement is coming

I seriously hope that Microsoft has nothing to do with this. I loved the original Xbox and the 360, but practically everything about the Xbox One was the opposite of what I want.

If that's not the case, I really can't think what it could be. Unless it's a master Sega mini console which allows you to download every Sega game ever made, i'm baffled as to what it could be.

And that uncertainty is what makes this either super exciting or super disappointing. The fact they've been highlighting their history (including games pretty much ignored by Sega now) and the Segata Sanshiro and son adverts leads me to thinking it would be something related to their heyday. That's my wish anyway.

It's a game gear

Back