Mizzurna Falls - Anyone played this?

Just came across a thread on Resetera about a 1998 JP only game that i never heard about:

Apparently, a lot of systems found in Shenmue were already in place in this game, per the wiki:
-The player has seven days to explore the town and countryside talking to the residents in order to solve the mystery
-One in game hour is around five minutes in real time.
-The strict seven day time limit makes it difficult to see all the events and get the best of the three endings
-The game features the "tank style" movement controls
-Fighting and quick time events
-Full weather cycle and the residents of the town have individual daily routines.
-Matthew can also use his mobile phone to call other characters and certain businesses in the town.

And it even has some more:
-The player has access to a Volkswagen Beetle and a boat to move around town quickly.
-Matthew can eat at the local dinners, and must keep his car fueled.
-Shooting systems

I gotta say im a bit surprise with all the parallels with Shenmue, so my question is if anyone here has played this game, and how all that stuff compares to Shenmue

I got it because of comparisons to Deadly Premonition but unfortunately have not been able to get it to run for some reason. I even got another copy and still no luck. Probably for the best as there’s no English translation yet.

Yeah, it's fantastic. I don't speak or read Japanese yet, but I played through on my GPD by following Evie's English translation Let's Play. It compares to Shenmue a bit superficially, although not as advanced of course, in terms of simulation, but it's a completely different atmosphere. It's Twin Peaks. It's horror. The simulated world & freedom at the time was unmatched on console. If you're interested in the fascinating history of its development and the life of its creator, check this out --

Sounds like a really cool game and an interesting director--all kudos deserved. Although, like Omikron (NA release, at least), just because it was quite similar and released before doesnt mean it was made before. Shenmue began development on Saturn in 94/95. Wasn't really much known of it until 98, sure, and not release until a year after Mizzurna Falls, but i still feel Shenmue deserves being known as the first.

/end bias :p

Sounds like a really cool game and an interesting director--all kudos deserved. Although, like Omikron (NA release, at least), just because it was quite similar and released before doesnt mean it was made before. Shenmue began development on Saturn in 94/95. Wasn't really much known of it until 98, sure, and not release until a year after Mizzurna Falls, but i still feel Shenmue deserves being known as the first.

/end bias :p

Well Mizzurna Falls has a whole town + outskirts where you can walk or drive wherever you want.
You can unlock more and more buildings to visit if you find story clues (all of the buildings have different rooms),
your car needs fuel, full day and night cycle (inlcuding weather changes)
and all of the lights in the buildings get activated by night.
You can talk to every NPC (no voices, just text) and a lot of them have more to say than one line,
you can talk to them again and again and it even changes after story events.
There is a mobile phone but you have to find out the numbers first, there is even a telephone number to reset your car.
The whole game world completey works and lives without the player character, which means
if there is a story event on monday but you cant find it or didnt know about it,
this event will still happen, just without you. And the events will only happen once,
so whatever you missed, is gone in this save file. NPCs all have their own cars and are driving or walking around
(they visit the bar at night or meet each other at the church and so on)
There is also fighting, shooting, fishing. (95% of the game is investigating / asking around)
And this all runs on the original Playstation with a pretty solid framerate.
If they really completed this whole thing in 12 months, thats extremely impressive
and this really could be the very first released 3D open world "Shenmue style" game with such details.

I've taken a recent interest in the game, I've mamanged to get it working via Emulator just fine :) My only question is which of the two translations is more faithful or recommended? There seems to be two main translation packs one from Cirosan and a more recent one from Owl?

Sources (If I can't post this let me know...):

Owl's Thread at RomHacking.net

Mfallstv-1.JPG
Mfallstv-2.JPG
So clearly there is a difference, does anyone have any knowledge on either translation?

EDIT:
Saw further in the comments section of the site that said:
"Cirosan is using liberal approach to translating and rephrasing words. While Owl kept things close to original."

Last edited:
I've taken a recent interest in the game, I've mamanged to get it working via Emulator just fine :) My only question is which of the two translations is more faithful or recommended? There seems to be two main translation packs one from Cirosan and a more recent one from Owl?

Sources (If I can't post this let me know...):

Owl's Thread at RomHacking.net

View attachment 11693
View attachment 11694
So clearly there is a difference, does anyone have any knowledge on either translation?
1.jpg

Lol Speechless.

Back