Mod request: S1 + S2 Capsule Toys In S3

So this is probably one for @LemonHaze , but I’m kind of curious to find out whether anybody else would be interested as well.

Yesterday @spud1897 posted a survey asking whether people would care about being able to carry saves over from S3 to S4 and it made me realize that the reason I don’t care is because we weren’t able to bring stuff from S2 into S3. That got me wondering whether it would be at all possible to right that wrong.

While I expect that bringing the moves over from the first two games would be all but impossible, I wonder how feasible it would be to replace the 3D models of capsule toys and prize exchange items from the third game with the ones from S1 and S2?

I’m presuming that the models for items from the first two games are being ripped (and probably converted) for use with the Unreal Engine as part of the DP project, so would it be possible to simply swap them in for the existing ones in S3? If so, how easy would that be to do, would people be interested to see such a mod and, if so, would somebody be willing to help me make it?

So this is probably one for @LemonHaze , but I’m kind of curious to find out whether anybody else would be interested as well.

Yesterday @spud1897 posted a survey asking whether people would care about being able to carry saves over from S3 to S4 and it made me realize that the reason I don’t care is because we weren’t able to bring stuff from S2 into S3. That got me wondering whether it would be at all possible to right that wrong.

While I expect that bringing the moves over from the first two games would be all but impossible, I wonder how feasible it would be to replace the 3D models of capsule toys and prize exchange items from the third game with the ones from S1 and S2?

I’m presuming that the models for items from the first two games are being ripped (and probably converted) for use with the Unreal Engine as part of the DP project, so would it be possible to simply swap them in for the existing ones in S3? If so, how easy would that be to do, would people be interested to see such a mod and, if so, would somebody be willing to help me make it?
I don't want to speak out of turn but I know this mod is in the early stages. Some of the staff were helping with it.

I don't want to speak out of turn but I know this mod is in the early stages. Some of the staff were helping with it.
Sweet. Will look forward to playing around with it. Hopefully they’re able to cobble together a basic save converter to allow capsule toys to pass freely between games.

Sweet. Will look forward to playing around with it. Hopefully they’re able to cobble together a basic save converter to allow capsule toys to pass freely between games.
If you want to help with the mod, ill pass the request on to lemon. Would make the process a lot quicker with more people helping out. Right now its at a standstill

The main things that are needed for this are 1) a table of existing S1/S2 items/capsule toys and what they should be replaced for in S3 and 2) details about how move proficiency should be transferred (if at all) to equivalent S3 moves.

Most of the other things necessary to complete this have already been written and tested, for example there is the S3TextDataAsset editor that I wrote which allows us to change the names of almost anything in the game, the model swapping itself is pretty basic, but requires a list of what we're to replace and what for.

Even settings can mostly be integrated into a save transfer tool of sorts, it just depends on whether the info is there for when I put time into working on it.

The main things that are needed for this are 1) a table of existing S1/S2 items/capsule toys and what they should be replaced for in S3 and 2) details about how move proficiency should be transferred (if at all) to equivalent S3 moves.

Most of the other things necessary to complete this have already been written and tested, for example there is the S3TextDataAsset editor that I wrote which allows us to change the names of almost anything in the game, the model swapping itself is pretty basic, but requires a list of what we're to replace and what for.

Even settings can mostly be integrated into a save transfer tool of sorts, it just depends on whether the info is there for when I put time into working on it.
I don’t mind trying to knock together a list of all capsule toys in S1 and S2 and attempting to tie them together with the ones in S3 if that’s useful.

Im guessing adding additional capsule toys into machines in S3 is probably too much work or not possible, but iirc there are a few machines that show up in both Bailu and Niawou. Could these be tweaked individually or do duplicate machines draw from the originals data set? Same question goes for items that appear at multiple prize exchanges.

edit: leaving this here for later.

Last edited:
Here are the lists...

What we want is something of a list that looks like this:

"ITEM-000","UIGACHAKI1"
"ITEM-001","UIGACHAKI2"

On the left, ITEM-000, is the Shenmue III capsule toy item ID, which we will replace with UIGACHAKI1, in this example.

Good luck!

Attachments

• capsule_toy_lists.zip
    61.8 KB · Views: 3
Here are the lists...

What we want is something of a list that looks like this:

"ITEM-000","UIGACHAKI1"
"ITEM-001","UIGACHAKI2"

On the left, ITEM-000, is the Shenmue III capsule toy item ID, which we will replace with UIGACHAKI1, in this example.

Good luck!
Should have some time later this week. What do you want me to do about the 2 or 3 side quests items (kids ask for certain capsule toys)? Could they be swapped out for prize exchange items or would that not work?

Parking this here for my own reference…

Should have some time later this week. What do you want me to do about the 2 or 3 side quests items (kids ask for certain capsule toys)? Could they be swapped out for prize exchange items or would that not work?

Parking this here for my own reference…

Yeah anything should be able to be swapped, I just want IDs so I have an easy time figuring out the replacement routine(s).

Yeah anything should be able to be swapped, I just want IDs so I have an easy time figuring out the replacement routine(s).
Cool. Got about half of it done earlier, although it’s taking a little longer than I’dve liked. I’d forgotten how big some of the sets in the original games are and that none of the sets in 3 have more than 8 items, so am having to combine and split sets to make everything work and also try and line up “rare” toys.

Is it okay if some of the capsule toys are swapped for prize exchange items?

Cool. Got about half of it done earlier, although it’s taking a little longer than I’dve liked. I’d forgotten how big some of the sets in the original games are and that none of the sets in 3 have more than 8 items, so am having to combine and split sets to make everything work and also try and line up “rare” toys.
This is exactly the reason I didn't want to do it. I knew the newer capsule sets were fundamentally different, but I didn't want to investigate enough outside of simply playing the game as I wanted to keep that experience separate from any modding-related stuff.

Is it okay if some of the capsule toys are swapped for prize exchange items?

Yes I would imagine so. Most of the way that items are setup are pretty universal, so the list containing the IDs that I sent is essentially all I need to know with regard to actually writing any code.

Looks like I've suddenly got a busy week or two ahead of me and so am not going to have time to put any more work into this anytime soon, unfortunately.

As things stand, I've reassigned every capsule in S3 with those found in Shenmue 2, with the exception of the GAME set. I've done my best to make it clear where everything's been moved to, but if you have any questions do feel free to ask. There are still a handful of S2 capsules still unaccounted for, so these will either need to be dropped or swapped out for prize exchange items (though the latter will mess up some of the pawnshop sets quite a bit, I fear).

Hope this helps!

Attachments

• shenmue3caps.zip
    8.1 KB · Views: 10
Besides the arcade cabs, the Shenmue 1+2 SD toys were the best--did you remove them...?

Besides the arcade cabs, the Shenmue 1+2 SD toys were the best--did you remove them...?
I did, yes.

In an ideal world, I think the best solution would be to increase the number of capsules in each machine/set as this would allow a lot more to be carried over and prevent the need for splitting/merging the older sets, but I expect this would be considerably more difficult.

There already are the Shen1/2 arcade cabinet toys though, whereas there's nothing simlar to the SD Shenmue. Shouldn't the Arcade cabs be replaced by the existing OutRun/HangOn/Darts/Space Harrier/R360 etc?

That’s exactly why I left them in. Ryo has been able to collect capsules of every arcade game he’s played up until S3, so I figured it made sense for him to be able to do so in S3 as well.

I’d originally planned to leave the Shenmue capsules in too at one point, but I recalled seeing a few people complaining about the absurdity of Ryo being able to collect toys of himself and his friends without any sort of acknowledgment and so, as I was short of space, opted to remove them in the interest of preserving immersion (granted, none of the Sega characters existed in the late eighties, but pulling them out of a capsule machine still makes a lot more sense than getting a Ryo or Chai capsule).

Back