Modifying a Clear Save for Shenmue 1 PC?

I completed Shenmue 1 on Dreamcast not too long ago, and was disappointed to discover that playing Shenmue 2 on Dreamcast would be a significant hurdle no matter how it was done (I'm on NTSC). After evaluating my options, I decided to purchase the HD Collection on Steam. Basically, what I want to do is obtain a Clear Save for Shenmue 1 PC and hopefully modify it to best reflect what I had achieved in Shenmue 1 on DC. Even if I can't get it exact, stuff like money and capsules would be great. Thanks.

I completed Shenmue 1 on Dreamcast not too long ago, and was disappointed to discover that playing Shenmue 2 on Dreamcast would be a significant hurdle no matter how it was done (I'm on NTSC).
Why is it a significant hurdle?

1. Buy English copy of game. These go for around $45 on Ebay, might be cheaper elsewhere.
2. Acquire or burn Codebreaker cheat device. (This will also let you run the game on a US Dreamcast with cheats turned off)
3. Use cheat code to let you load your Shenmue 1 save:
Import any region Shenmue 1 save file
0205AAA4 910B6241
0105AAAA 0000A003

I believe what you're asking for (Original game to PC save file conversion) has been done, but just manually at this point. You may find details in this forum, but I think someone just copy/pasted data in a hex editor. It might have only been Shenmue 2.

This is what Sappharad is talking about

I think the best way would be to use a cheat trainer for the PC edition and add a bunch of capsule/item codes before the ending and get a clear save that will make you a rich man in Shenmue 2... buuut im not sure if anyone has dedicated themselves to getting the item codes (they exist for the dreamcast Xploder/AR but I doubt they would work)

I dont think a save editor exists either for Shenmue PC.

or you could just find someones PC completed save file that has a bunch of items with it
Turtle Hermit provides a DL Link

.. but Ideally you want complete sets , or just screw it and play the game again or just start shenmue 2 clean

As @ReeceMix says above, you could just use my saves on Steam. My clear save file has every item in the game obtained, including notebook entries, moves and also has a load of money and slot machine tokens.

I'd like revive this because bringing DC saves to the PC version of Shenmue I&II could always come in handy, not just for cleared files.

Extracting a VMS file with VMU Explorer shows that it's 40kb, wich is just like the files for Shenmue I&II. The original has 3 save slots in there but this still seems to be compatible with I&II to some degree. It just reads the first slot only.

Shenmue I&II seems to base its saves on US Shenmue so I had to fiddle around with the header a bit or it would just show an empty slot. I kept what I&II has and only copied over from offset 720 from the DC save. This does make the file show up properly in the game.

Unfortunately it still doesn't load it. After selecting yes the selector just goes away and it will remain in the save slot menu. It doesn't complain, it doesn't crash and you can keep on trying to load the save but it just won't get anywhere.

Shenmue I&II also has some extra stuff. There are "Stats" files, numbered to go along with the save files and there is also something called "BOOKKEEP" wich seem to be pretty obvious what it does. Pretty sure these need some adjustments too for the game to accept Dreamcast files.

If someone could figure this out that would be awesome!

Back