More Shenmue 3 footage

Very fond of the short clip there. Looks great at 60fps and is quite clearly the best quality clip available on YouTube in regards to compression.

Shenhua looks incredible. There is real life in that character. I know Ryo is a stoic kind of guy, but I wish his model exhibited more of the nuance that we can see in Shenhua. Hopefully as we draw in on the release date we will see a bit more of that.

isnt shenmue 3 locked to 30fps in the actual game?
I'd imagine the PS4 version would be, but I suspect the PC build might be uncapped. Would be a treat to see it running as silky smooth as that at higher resolutions.

I believe Yu Suzuki-sama stated in the most recent interviews, polishing the animations, faces, and expressions is the top priority now and was one of the main reasons for the new delay. Should be vastly improved by release like all the other improvements we’ve seen!

That's great but does that mean the combat system is almost done?

From what we have seen seems entertaining but... man.. it was so fucking good in the first two games.

Gotta admit that I may be blinded because of the animations and collisions (+ personal issue with the camera) , maybe it does have the same charm of an old school arcade from Suzuki.

That's great but does that mean the combat system is almost done?

From what we have seen seems entertaining but... man.. it was so fucking good in the first two games.

Gotta admit that I may be blinded because of the animations and collisions (+ personal issue with the camera) , maybe it does have the same charm of an old school arcade from Suzuki.

I think that's because the old system has more "weight".

I believe Yu Suzuki-sama stated in the most recent interviews, polishing the animations, faces, and expressions is the top priority now and was one of the main reasons for the new delay. Should be vastly improved by release like all the other improvements we’ve seen!

Do you have any link to where he said that? Would love to read about Yu acknowledging the issue.

Do you have any link to where he said that? Would love to read about Yu acknowledging the issue.

One place was in his interview with Famitsu in April (at which time the release date was still 27th August):
YS: I want to further improve things like their expressions. There is still a little time before the release, so I'd like to make them even better than now.

Getting a bit bored of this 'facial expressions' stuff now. They are there and much better then before. I'm not trying to be too blunt as I can understand why they want the best for Shenmue 3. Hopefully in time they will make the facial expressions even better when the game releases in November.

I get that it has been a constant discussion point since the game became a reality, but objectively speaking, they're just not great and they are dated. That doesn't mean Shenmue 3 is bad or will be a bad game, it just means the facial expressions and animations are not great. And the closer and closer we get to release, the less realistic the "they will improve them" argument gets.

I get that it has been a constant discussion point since the game became a reality, but objectively speaking, they're just not great and they are dated. That doesn't mean Shenmue 3 is bad or will be a bad game, it just means the facial expressions and animations are not great. And the closer and closer we get to release, the less realistic the "they will improve them" argument gets.

Honestly, like many others, I'm past that. If Shenmue III has bad animations, I'm at peace with that.

But like many others, I want them to fix those issues. Not for me (even though, that'd be a nice bonus) but for the others. I dont want Shenmue III to be reminded as "Ah yes, that ugly game with awkward expressionless faces".

I dont want the game at release to be spammed with dumb screenshots or gif or memes about "LULULUZ LOOK AT THAT LMAO THE FACE ISNT MOVING LOLOLOL".

I dont want the game to go through harsh reviews and negativity for an aspect I dont care about. Because when you enjoy something, you want others to enjoy it.

It's been really hard to convince people around me to play Shenmue I-II. Because it was "ah yes that boring forklift game ?" "Meh I have seen 3, it looks shit".

But when I convinced those people to play it, it became a really special game for them. After rewatching Shenmue III trailers, their opinion changed and thought it was decent in fact.

It's because they've been through those games that they felt something special happened. They felt attached to that serie, despite playing it barely a few months ago. They could never understand why I put 300 bucks in a "scam". Now many regrets they didnt back the game.

Because I love this serie, because I'm super excited about III that I dont want it to be misrepresented.

Because I know how good it is. How amazing it is. It's difficult when you know something and people cant understand it when they see it.

It's like convincing someone to eat something that looks like shit. You keep telling them it's delicious. They make fun of you for that. And when they finally make a step forward to try it, they're like "Oh shit... How could I miss that for so long ?".

That's why I think people shouldn't see those facial animation discussions as negativity. I'm sure everyone here agrees that in no way it'll harm their experience. But I believe a lot of people will agree with what I'm describing here.

Honestly, like many others, I'm past that. If Shenmue III has bad animations, I'm at peace with that.

But like many others, I want them to fix those issues. Not for me (even though, that'd be a nice bonus) but for the others. I dont want Shenmue III to be reminded as "Ah yes, that ugly game with awkward expressionless faces".

I dont want the game at release to be spammed with dumb screenshots or gif or memes about "LULULUZ LOOK AT THAT LMAO THE FACE ISNT MOVING LOLOLOL".

I dont want the game to go through harsh reviews and negativity for an aspect I dont care about. Because when you enjoy something, you want others to enjoy it.

It's been really hard to convince people around me to play Shenmue I-II. Because it was "ah yes that boring forklift game ?" "Meh I have seen 3, it looks shit".

But when I convinced those people to play it, it became a really special game for them. After rewatching Shenmue III trailers, their opinion changed and thought it was decent in fact.

It's because they've been through those games that they felt something special happened. They felt attached to that serie, despite playing it barely a few months ago. They could never understand why I put 300 bucks in a "scam". Now many regrets they didnt back the game.

Because I love this serie, because I'm super excited about III that I dont want it to be misrepresented.

Because I know how good it is. How amazing it is. It's difficult when you know something and people cant understand it when they see it.

It's like convincing someone to eat something that looks like shit. You keep telling them it's delicious. They make fun of you for that. And when they finally make a step forward to try it, they're like "Oh shit... How could I miss that for so long ?".

That's why I think people shouldn't see those facial animation discussions as negativity. I'm sure everyone here agrees that in no way it'll harm their experience. But I believe a lot of people will agree with what I'm describing here.
I agree with you on this xD

Facial Animations won't Change. The facial animations won't Change. You can discuss About as much as you want but it won't Change anything. Unless a Shenmue Fan finds a treasure in his garden and us the Money to buy Ys net a Motion caption study These stuff won't Change.

I also want to raise the Question, what are good animations an what are bad animations? Why nitpick About any small Detail instead of just enjoying the game as whole?

Facial Animations won't Change. The facial animations won't Change. You can discuss About as much as you want but it won't Change anything. Unless a Shenmue Fan finds a treasure in his garden and us the Money to buy Ys net a Motion caption study These stuff won't Change.

I also want to raise the Question, what are good animations an what are bad animations? Why nitpick About any small Detail instead of just enjoying the game as whole?

A good animation is a consistent and believable animation. One that doesnt look out of place.

Take a Gamecube game like Wind Waker. The animations are great because not only they are believable, they are also consistent. They're not mind blowing. They're outdated. Yet they look good because they dont break the immersion. For exemple, when the character gets close to another character, his eyes will follow this character, same for his head. And the character will also look at the main character. It's not a high quality animation, but it's one that give consistence, that makes the whole game alive.

Another exemple would be Shenmue I and II and I posted a comparison in this thread already. In Shenmue I, when Lan Di is hurting Ryo, his right eye is closed in a stronger manner, and his mouth opens more on the right side. Which highlights pain. It's not well done. You can see the polygons. But it's coherent and believable. It's consistent with the rest. When Ryo is talking to someone, his eyes follow that person. When Ryo holds a toy capsule in his hand, his head is tilting a little bit to the direction of the point of interest and his eyes are focused on that point.

Basically, a good animation is all about being consistent and believable. This is where, for now, Shenmue III fails in that matter. For exemple we have that moment where Ryo is standing in front of a toy capsule machine. When the player interacts with it, Ryo first stand straight. Is head is still straight. Same for his eyes. Basically when talking, he's basically looking at the wall instead of the toy capsule machine. That kind of things break the illusion. A good animation isn't about looking high quality or realistic, it's about for your brain to process it as natural. The moment somethings gets unatural, it breaks the illusion and your brain will notice it.

To further highlight my point
the-legend-of-zelda-the-wind-waker-edition-limitee-gamecube-572273bb771f2.jpg

Back