Mortal Kombat: 2021 Movie Reboot gets a Red Band Trailer

Looks spectacularly cheesy and over the top with loads of poor dialogue. Day 1 then :ROFLMAO:

I absolutely love Tournament movies. MK. Bloodsport. The Quest. Enter the Dragon. No Retreat, No Surrender, Karate Kid. Right in my veins

I'm a huge MK fan. As soon as I heard the main character isn't going to be Liu Kang or Scorpion yet instead a generic new guy named Cole Young I was instantly turned off. The trailer further shows this will be a dumpster fire undoubtedly, especially showing certain key lore changes(Cole Young, Sub Zero ripping Jax arms off). It'll be over the top flashy gore with no substance. At least the 1995 original was entertaining even if it stepped away from the gore factor. The 1997 sequel was definitely bad, but was cheesily enjoyable. Plus, the original 2 came out in the 90s, when CGI was awful and movies in general weren't as well made, this looks like a Marvel Universe budget flick 👎

Rumour is Cole Young (played by Lewis Tan) could actually be Kuai Liang, which is why Sub Zero's a bit more of a bad guy in this trailer. That's quite an interesting angle, could be a load of BS, but interesting nonetheless.

Just dont make Sub zero black and Milena a male, and I'm on it.

It's just one thing, it's not that hard. You can do it guys. Dont fail.

Is it just me but it seems like they're making Mortal Kombat too serious? I appreciate that it will be rated R with proper gore but the trailer comes off as if we're supposed to be in awe of this movie. MK is B-movie material, people just want to see fan service here.

Is it just me but it seems like they're making Mortal Kombat too serious? I appreciate that it will be rated R with proper gore but the trailer comes off as if we're supposed to be in awe of this movie. MK is B-movie material, people just want to see fan service here.
Isn't the whole trailer practically fan service? I mean the ending of the trailer literally has Kano doing his original heart fatality and cheekily saying "You Fucking Beauty"

Not to mention the many fatality nods, the Scorpion vs Sub Zero fight, GORO and more. I thought the whole trailer was fan service. As for the tone? I'll save judgement for the final film. If the Kano bit at the end is any example, it might find a decent line between serious and humorous. We'll see.

April 16th they say...well I know what I'm doing come my Birthday this year :) I'll save judgement until I see the final film.

Last edited:
Could be fun maybe. I also did not hate on the first MK movie. It was entertaining as hell. I just hope that new MK movie is also going to fun to watch. I do not expect much just a funny cheesy movie. So I hope I am not going to be disappointed.

If you go by the director's commentary, the guy really seems to know the source material. Just the trailer music alone, an epic rendition of the classic MK movie tune, is worth the price of the ticket or a HBO max one time sub for me. It brought back the 90s' kid in me for sure.

Isn't the whole trailer practically fan service? I mean the ending of the trailer literally has Kano doing his original heart fatality and cheekily saying "You Fucking Beauty"

Not to mention the many fatality nods, the Scorpion vs Sub Zero fight, GORO and more. I thought the whole trailer was fan service. As for the tone? I'll save judgement for the final film. If the Kano bit at the end is any example, it might find a decent line between serious and humorous. We'll see.

April 16th they say...well I know what I'm doing come my Birthday this year :) I'll save judgement until I see the final film.
You're right on the fan service, it didn't come across to me so much when I saw the trailer but the trailer definitely comes off as too serious to me. I just meant in the sense of making a fun movie rather than one that tries to treat this subject matter with some kind of reverence. Mind you, I'm not really an MK fan so I could take it or leave it either way.

Last edited:
where is cyrax:(

You're right on the fan service, it didn't come across to me so much when I saw the trailer but the trailer definitely comes off as too serious to me. I just meant in the sense of making a fun movie rather than one that tries to treat this subject matter with some kind of reverence. Mind you, I'm not really an MK fan so I could take it or leave it either way.
Well, like I said, that last bit in the trailer gives me some hope it will find a balance between humor and serious. That will be interesting to see with the depiction of Fatalaities. Fatalaties in those games are pretty darkly humored at this point. So I will be curious to see how they handle the balance between humor and serious.

Watching off the kombat alone. Trailer impressed me. Those fight scenes are gonna be fire

I'm a huge MK fan. As soon as I heard the main character isn't going to be Liu Kang or Scorpion yet instead a generic new guy named Cole Young I was instantly turned off. The trailer further shows this will be a dumpster fire undoubtedly, especially showing certain key lore changes(Cole Young, Sub Zero ripping Jax arms off). It'll be over the top flashy gore with no substance. At least the 1995 original was entertaining even if it stepped away from the gore factor. The 1997 sequel was definitely bad, but was cheesily enjoyable. Plus, the original 2 came out in the 90s, when CGI was awful and movies in general weren't as well made, this looks like a Marvel Universe budget flick 👎
Hasnt there been multiple MK timelines and multiples ways Jax got his arms? Ermac ripping them off. Jax voluntarily upgrading his arms. Not sure why that would matter much now.

Back