My optimal settings for this great game.

My rig is an i5 9600k with a RTX 3080. I'm playing Shenmue 3 at 4k@60fps on a 65" TV, japanese voices, with the following mods:
- Permanent custom ini, with disabled sharpening
- Reshade with discrete CAS sharpening and tonemap settings
- FOV changer, pressing F4 three times to optimally increase FOV on gameplay and cutscenes

The game I'm playing is a gorgeous 9/10 action-adventure. Soundtrack, fighting, exploration, mini-games, dialogues, they're all great. If the writing reaches new heights, it might become a 10/10.

My rig is an i5 9600k with a RTX 3080. I'm playing Shenmue 3 at 4k@60fps on a 65" TV, japanese voices, with the following mods:
- FOV changer, pressing F4 three times to optimally increase FOV on gameplay and cutscenes

The game I'm playing is a gorgeous 9/10 action-adventure. Soundtrack, fighting, exploration, mini-games, dialogues, they're all great. If the writing reaches new heights, it might become a 10/10.
Got some screenshots. Very interested in seeing the reshade and FOV changes you made

Freshly taken around Bailu.
3D game graphics simply can't get much better than that.

Attachments

• Shenmue3-Win64-Shipping 2021-03-23 18-17-56.jpg
    Shenmue3-Win64-Shipping 2021-03-23 18-17-56.jpg
    7.4 MB · Views: 52
  • Shenmue3-Win64-Shipping 2021-03-23 18-19-10.jpg
    Shenmue3-Win64-Shipping 2021-03-23 18-19-10.jpg
    6.1 MB · Views: 51
  • Shenmue3-Win64-Shipping 2021-03-23 18-19-59.jpg
    Shenmue3-Win64-Shipping 2021-03-23 18-19-59.jpg
    7.5 MB · Views: 44
  • Shenmue3-Win64-Shipping 2021-03-23 18-21-27.jpg
    Shenmue3-Win64-Shipping 2021-03-23 18-21-27.jpg
    6 MB · Views: 40
  • Shenmue3-Win64-Shipping 2021-03-23 18-20-15.jpg
    Shenmue3-Win64-Shipping 2021-03-23 18-20-15.jpg
    6.6 MB · Views: 47
Freshly taken around Bailu.
3D game graphics simply can't get much better than that.
That looks really cool. I'm gearing up for a second playthrough hopefully next month. I'm going to be using the classic camera though. I think it makes the game really shine

That looks really cool. I'm gearing up for a second playthrough hopefully next month. I'm going to be using the classic camera though. I think it makes the game really shine
Completely agree. I am still blown away how much better game looks and feels with it-

Disable the UI for ‘cinematic’ mode and you got perfect experience in my opinion.

Completely agree. I am still blown away how much better game looks and feels with it-

Disable the UI for ‘cinematic’ mode and you got perfect experience in my opinion.
I got a new gaming laptop (Special thanks to @spud1897 and @Jibby for helping me pick the right one) and the game looks a million times better with the classic camera. @LemonHaze did a spectacular job. I'll try and post some screens

I got my shadow tech account activating this month, so I'll still be making a tutorial thread on how to use it if you're still interested and still considering going down that route

I love Shenmue 3 as is, but it looks way better with the classic camera mod. Feels more authentically Shenmue.

Oh, and my computer sucks, so if everyone could post as many screenshots with the classic camera as they possibly can, I'd appreciate it :LOL:

I love Shenmue 3 as is, but it looks way better with the classic camera mod. Feels more authentically Shenmue.

Oh, and my computer sucks, so if everyone could post as many screenshots with the classic camera as they possibly can, I'd appreciate it :LOL:
Ill be taking a lot of them during my second playthrough.

Congrats on finding a 3080!

Yeah, Shenmue III at 4K 60fps is a true thing of beauty. I did my first playthrough on PS4, but playing again on PC with maxed out settings was like an entirely new experience! I'm going to have to do another run through with the classic camera mod at some point I think.

I got a new gaming laptop (Special thanks to @spud1897 and @Jibby for helping me pick the right one) and the game looks a million times better with the classic camera. @LemonHaze did a spectacular job. I'll try and post some screens

I got my shadow tech account activating this month, so I'll still be making a tutorial thread on how to use it if you're still interested and still considering going down that route
Absolutely! While my second play through was a much improved experience thanks to 60 FPS on PS5 I would like to have another play through using Shadow and utilizing the handful of awesome community mods particularly classic camera.

Those screenshots are awesome post please more including some of Niaowu.

I've got the "misc mod" installed, just for the "NPC fix" now. I've tried the default classic camera as well as some custom settings, but ended up concluding that except for the great nostalgia factor, the new camera is superior on a first playthrough, especially after I raised FOV, which surprisingly improves the cutscenes as well.

Disabling UI, on the other hand, sound very promising.

Here is a screenshot to show a dark scene on my current settings, and to show that the native camera system is pretty good too:

Attachments

• Shenmue3-Win64-Shipping 2021-03-24 18-42-11.jpg
    Shenmue3-Win64-Shipping 2021-03-24 18-42-11.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 18

A truly authentic Shenmue experience also demands an auto-centering camera system using the LEFT stick, tank controls using a cross shaped d-pad and a 4:3 aspect ratio. :D

As incredible as Shenmue 1 and 2 were, there was definitely room for improvement, and Shenmue 3 delivers.

Absolutely! While my second play through was a much improved experience thanks to 60 FPS on PS5 I would like to have another play through using Shadow and utilizing the handful of awesome community mods particularly classic camera.

I would post more of Niaowu but i haven't got a save file at that point. When i replay it, I'll take a ton of shots and make a thread. I could look at classic cam Shenmue 3 screenshots all day. Such a gorgeous game.

Last edited:

If anybody is interested in the exact settings I used for the classic camera mod seen in this video, stick this in your MiscMods config file:

[retro_camera_mod]
customFOV=57.29
customHeight=25.0
customDistance=435.0
customCameraPitchOffset=-3.0

P.S: Shenmue III is a beautiful game.

Shenmue3-Win64-Shipping Super-Resolution 2019.11.27 - 06.49.55.11.jpg

If anybody is interested in the exact settings I used for the classic camera mod seen in this video, stick this in your MiscMods config file:

[retro_camera_mod]
customFOV=57.29
customHeight=25.0
customDistance=435.0
customCameraPitchOffset=-3.0

P.S: Shenmue III is a beautiful game.

View attachment 10870
Spags can you post a screenshot of your settings in game?

Also, i just realized you can set the camera directly at the front of Ryo's head and play the entire game in first-person mode (convos and battle excluded). It looks absolutely stunning. This is by far one of the greatest mods created for Shenmue

Shenmue III   25_03_2021 12_11_37.png

Shenmue III   25_03_2021 12_10_44.png

Shenmue III   25_03_2021 12_10_11.png

Shenmue III   25_03_2021 12_10_23.png
I'm still figuring out the ideal settings, but this is me going through Bailu in full first-person mode using the mod. It looks amazing and feels like Skyrim only in the Shenmue world. Mind blown

With the clasic camera mod, do you still have the camera anchored 180 degreeed or is it same 360 cam but only a different position?

LOVE how in Shenmue1/2 the camera style when looking to the sides reminds me of the Aronofsky movie Pie.

index.php

Came across this image in the ps4 button mod thread.

That's
index.php

Came across this image in the ps4 button mod thread.
So glad I've backed this gorgeous video game.

One argument in favor of the classic camera, I'd say, is that Ryo feels more like a young Japanese martial arts apprentice rather than Batman on Arkham Asylum (which works quite well too, especially when you raise the FOV).

Back