Name changes in Shenmue 3

They pronounce her "Shenfa". They say every Chinese name very different from what it seems as they just read Chinese as if it was Japanese. Also leads to Rantei, Togyu, Kisho, Shuei, Shimei, Tokurin... see if you can figure out who those are.
Also creates the whole Niaowu vs Chobu thing. And we might get another taste with the Bailu/Hakka-Chans.

and yet people get mad when the English language doesn't accurately pronounce the Chinese even when they try to but the Japanese absolutely butcher it and they get a pass why lol

I played with german text, and there Firstname & Lastname are flipped from english version. No clue if they just flip the coin on whether to do it this way or the other way.

When talking to Shenhua about strong points and you tell her that you're good at martial arts she'll tell you that "the Yuans have been stonemasons for generations". So, either "Mr. Yuan" is the correct way since it is in fact the last name or something got mixed up there instead. The confusion...

When talking to Shenhua about strong points and you tell her that you're good at martial arts she'll tell you that "the Yuans have been stonemasons for generations". So, either "Mr. Yuan" is the correct way since it is in fact the last name or something got mixed up there instead. The confusion...
It would appear that Yuan is indeed his last name/family name. Look at this this old thread from 2005. LanDC found that the letter in Shenmue II was actually signed by looking at its texture. Apparently the signature reads "Zhongshou Yuan." Kiyuu confirmed that Yuan was the family name.

They pronounce her "Shenfa". They say every Chinese name very different from what it seems as they just read Chinese as if it was Japanese. Also leads to Rantei, Togyu, Kisho, Shuei, Shimei, Tokurin... see if you can figure out who those are.
Also creates the whole Niaowu vs Chobu thing. And we might get another taste with the Bailu/Hakka-Chans.
I know Togyu is Niao Sun’s name in Japanese at least.

Rantei = Lan Di
Togyu = not sure, but above says Niao Sun, so I'm sticking with that.
Kisho = Guizhang
Shuei = Xiuying
Shimei = Ziming
Tokulin (I hear an, "L," but I know the Japanese switch them alound) = Delin
Keka-san = Guixing
Kenmin = Jianmin

and yet people get mad when the English language doesn't accurately pronounce the Chinese even when they try to but the Japanese absolutely butcher it and they get a pass why lol

There's actually an historical and lexical reason: all Chinese characters have a Japanese pronunciation :) so in Japan it's normal to pronounce all Chinese names and cities with Japanese reading (they are neighboring countries, so it's like this from ages).

Oh God, I'm an idiot... Hell, I always call him that when I say his name out loud (facepalm)

I was wound up by the fact Ryo and Ren kept reffering to eachother as "You" like "oh its you" "grrrr you again". They were close friends like 5 days ago haha

I was wound up by the fact Ryo and Ren kept reffering to eachother as "You" like "oh its you" "grrrr you again". They were close friends like 5 days ago haha
I actually kind of liked this. They act like they don't really like each other but as soon as Ryo needs help Ren is right there beside him.

Even in Shenmue II, they hardly ever openly acted like friends.

This is why I play in Japanese ;)

Back