New arcade games/activities. What do you want to see?

Last Bronx or Fighter's Megamix. Scud Race would be nice too

Those would be awesome but given Sega's refusal to let Yu use any Sega IPs in Shenmue 3 without paying for the licenses first, I'd hazard a guess that we won't be seeing anything like that in 4 either :crying:

The idea I had some time ago was a classic 2D vs. fighter game, but to unlock the other characters you must collect their capsule toys and scan them into the arcade cabinent. :unsure:

Been thinking a little bit more about an expanded Affinity System as I detailed in a different post in another topic.

A high affinity rating with Shenhua could unlock the ability to give her herbs to sell at higher prices than Ryo would get in the shops (because she's cuter, obviously), and also a mechanic where if you bring her ingredients she'll cook you a meal that confers XP boosts and temporary stat bonuses. Maybe you can also buy her recipes to unlock more dishes? 🤔

Tangentially related, but I was also thinking about a rent system in whatever domicile Ryo, Shenhua, and Ren are staying in during Shenmue IV. In my fantasy version of Shenmue IV, Shenhua picks and sells herbs for an income and reliably pays her share of the rent even on low to medium affinity, while Ren gambles his money and will only pay his share intermittently unless you have a high affinity with him.

Not paying your rent in a reasonable time will lose you affinity with Shenhua (let's say it's a weekly thing rather than daily), and activate some hidden events escaping from debt collectors if Ryo goes into arrears. If you don't pay rent at all during the game, maybe on completion you get an achievement or some special item/piece of clothing for repeat playthroughs.

I'm not sure how "Shenmue" this would be, but now the cork has been popped on New Game Plus modes in the series, I wouldn't mind a ranking system that tracks certain player statistics and lists them off at the end. Like the aforementioned non-payment of rent might get you the "Freeloader" stat (plus bonus item/clothing piece), or completing the game in under a certain time might net you an "Efficient" stat. The kernel of the idea comes from Metal Gear Solid of all places, where they'd give you the end of game ranking screen and unlock new items and weapons for repeat playthroughs.

Been thinking a little bit more about an expanded Affinity System as I detailed in a different post in another topic.

A high affinity rating with Shenhua could unlock the ability to give her herbs to sell at higher prices than Ryo would get in the shops (because she's cuter, obviously), and also a mechanic where if you bring her ingredients she'll cook you a meal that confers XP boosts and temporary stat bonuses. Maybe you can also buy her recipes to unlock more dishes? 🤔

Tangentially related, but I was also thinking about a rent system in whatever domicile Ryo, Shenhua, and Ren are staying in during Shenmue IV. In my fantasy version of Shenmue IV, Shenhua picks and sells herbs for an income and reliably pays her share of the rent even on low to medium affinity, while Ren gambles his money and will only pay his share intermittently unless you have a high affinity with him.

Not paying your rent in a reasonable time will lose you affinity with Shenhua (let's say it's a weekly thing rather than daily), and activate some hidden events escaping from debt collectors if Ryo goes into arrears. If you don't pay rent at all during the game, maybe on completion you get an achievement or some special item/piece of clothing for repeat playthroughs.

I'm not sure how "Shenmue" this would be, but now the cork has been popped on New Game Plus modes in the series, I wouldn't mind a ranking system that tracks certain player statistics and lists them off at the end. Like the aforementioned non-payment of rent might get you the "Freeloader" stat (plus bonus item/clothing piece), or completing the game in under a certain time might net you an "Efficient" stat. The kernel of the idea comes from Metal Gear Solid of all places, where they'd give you the end of game ranking screen and unlock new items and weapons for repeat playthroughs.
I wonder if Ryo should be able to invest in property and get a weekly check in the mailbox for his earnings. I think a mail system would be very interesting, the player could get flyers in the mail telling them about certain events (Tournament, fishing competiton, ect.)

Some interesting ideas. I am really curious how a prospective Shenmue 4 will juggle two companions.

I felt it sort of worked in Shenmue 3 at least in the Bailu section but then there was logical reason why Shenhua and Ryo would largely split up. Reading up an early interview of Shenmue calling it a “two person story” also hints that the trio will be broken up and maybe do their own thing.

Something involving Outrun RC cars or Afterburner planes, like maybe a race against a few local kids who get progressively harder. The Judgement series has a bunch of activities using the character's drone

A rock em, sock em robot kind of game, again playing against some local kids

Honestly, I think a volleyball or tennis type game would be fun. Maybe twist some rules to make it reflect the village

Last edited:
Reactions: JP_
I wonder if Ryo should be able to invest in property and get a weekly check in the mailbox for his earnings. I think a mail system would be very interesting, the player could get flyers in the mail telling them about certain events (Tournament, fishing competiton, ect.)
It could include a minigame for paying taxes, with formularies and all.

Reactions: JP_
It could include a minigame for paying taxes, with formularies and all.
“So, Mr Hazuki, you’re telling me you made the money to buy seven houses by chopping wood, fighting in the streets and gambling? And that 97% of your income goes on capsule toys?”

“Live by one’s convictions. Die for one’s convictions. That is how I live my life.”

Back