New Easter Egg: Nozomi Free Battle at Sakuragaoka Park

Switch

Shenmue analysis at www.phantomriverstone.com
The same legendary Japanese fan going by the handle "nullpo" who tracked down the code that lets Ryo perform a Shin Shōryūken at the harbor has shared a video along with information on how to unlock another amazing easter egg that lets Nozomi show off her martial art talents in a free battle

Blog post with all the information he shares about how to trigger it;
https://www.phantomriverstone.com/2019/08/nozomi-shows-off-her-fighting-skills.html

(It documents a mod to remove the command sequence requirement through binary editing - perhaps someone would be up for converting it for Forklift?)

Last edited:
This was incredible. I can't believe this stuff still exists in an age of data-mining everything.

I always loved Nozomi and now I am a little scared of her...not sure if that makes her more attractive or not haha!

Looks like Ryo had some "private lessons" with Nozomi after all. She even pulls off complete Arm Break Fires, in a skirt...

It's unbelievable how this stuff just surfaces like that. Incredible how and what the devs have hidden and how long it took to uncover. I really wonder if the infamous "Ryo was to be able to pick up and throw a house" from that one old interview is somehow in the game after all. With scenes this crazy I wouldn't be that surprised if it is.

I think I speak for everyone when I say "what the fuck?"

For what it's worth, it doesn't have to be the first sunny day for the free battle to occur - it simply has to be any sunny (or snowy!) day after hearing about Charlie, but before visiting the tattoo parlour.

I didn't even notice about the toy plane.

So, you mean you can practically unlock the easter egg on Dreamcast, on an original GD-ROM? That's impressive!

Last edited:
So, you mean you can practically unlock the easter egg on Dreamcast, on an original GD-ROM? That's impressive!
Yes, this easter egg was baked into the original version so should (theoretically) be reproducible as described!

For what it's worth, it doesn't have to be the first sunny day for the free battle to occur - it simply has to be any sunny (or snowy!) day after hearing about Charlie, but before visiting the tattoo parlour.
Thanks for clarifying, Duck. I'll go with your knowledge over the secrets FAQ this was noted in!

I'd argue this alone makes it much more significant - whereas the Shoryuken can only be accessed by modifying game files, this is possible to do on a vanilla version of the game, so it's something that has truly remained hidden for 20 years.

Wow this is awesome! It's so crazy when you think that things are still being found for this game! We are super lucky to have such skilful & dedicated fans too! I wonder if there are more, and also if there are some from Shenmue 2, seeing as it is the much bigger game!

Truly amazing that anyone can access this Easter Egg without modifying the game files. Anyone know if any others were hinted at by developers?

I couldn't resist to try this in the Dreamcast version and here are the results.

Did this on emulators (as I can't capture DC anymore) but did it by legitamtely pulling off the button inputs.
I struggled quite a lot to get it on Demul, but while playing the game to this point with Kitten affinity on nullDC I made a quick test there and got it on the very first try!

After saving in Sakuragaoka (with the Debug Beta, wich will put you by the nearest loading) by the Dobuita exit, I also found out that the cutscene changes a bit if you approach the park from that side. Not only are there different camera angles for Ryo's noticing but also the music keeps playing throughout the entire scene for some bizarre reason.

Losing the fight was not my intention but the result was so unbelievably worth it that I had to keep it. Also shows that you'll keep fighting with Nozomi on retries without any need for further cheats.

Yes, I can also confirm that it works with button inputs only without any modifications. Something I can suggest for those who want to try it is to use Demul's savestate feature, this way you can just reload state and try again very quickly.
I added a memory card image in attachement with a save that I converted to use with Demul.

Attachments

• shenmue_save.zip
    2.3 KB · Views: 12
Back