New Gamecores Chinese interview with Yu Suzuki

The boat scene between shenmue 1 and shenmue 2 that was cut off, is probaby returning in some form in Shenmue 3.
(between Bailu and Chobu?)
Thats the defenition of a spoiler right there!

It would have been a nice surprise if Yu hadn't dropped that detail, but whether he meant it to be or not, it's excellent red meat for the hardcore fanbase who consider the boat chapter a white whale of sorts.

Would we have ever made the boat chapter connection if we played Shenmue III without this tidbit? I dunno. Maybe, maybe not. It depends on what exactly is being repurposed. If it was a gameplay function we never saw in the first place, then probably not, but if it were a story beat...

With Chai confirmed to be in the game... can we assume he battles Ryo on the boat ride to Choubu now?

Either way, it's really exciting that they're fleshing out the connective tissue between the major locations.

It would have been a nice surprise if Yu hadn't dropped that detail, but whether he meant it to be or not, it's excellent red meat for the hardcore fanbase who consider the boat chapter a white whale of sorts.

Would we have ever made the boat chapter connection if we played Shenmue III without this tidbit? I dunno. Maybe, maybe not. It depends on what exactly is being repurposed. If it was a gameplay function we never saw in the first place, then probably not, but if it were a story beat...
I Agreed, but hopefully we'll have many many other surprises.
I can understand why Yu san is making that decision. Many people already asked him about that boat chapter, even though in the final games that chapter was never hinted, besides the litle girl and her mom in the beginning of shenmue 2.
And now that we think about it, didn't Yu said that, that part would be used in later chapter during a magic monaco 2016 interview, with Peter?

Oh wow! A realistic boat trip sounds awesome, I wonder if the boat is actually moving to the next location / time passing while you can explore? Looking out the window and seeing the beautiful scenary passing by. Second playthrough, standing out on deck and watching it go by, with the stars in the sky like that trailer!

Shit.....

I never thought of it like that! If that's actually possible, and Ryo is playable on the boat....

That's completely Shenmue too. Some nice quaint music as you cruise along the river. There could be an option to fast track the journey, but also just to enjoy the ride, and look out at the scenery. I actually am now hoping that's in the game, that would be sensational.

Shit.....

I never thought of it like that! If that's actually possible, and Ryo is playable on the boat....

That's completely Shenmue too. Some nice quaint music as you cruise along the river. There could be an option to fast track the journey, but also just to enjoy the ride, and look out at the scenery. I actually am now hoping that's in the game, that would be sensational.
The option to fast travel would actually be welcome, or else the internet would jump once again complaining on how shenmue's pacing has so many problems hahaha!!
Can't wait to find everything about this game!

Shit.....

Sounds perfect. Allow the more patient players to enjoy the duration of the ride, but also stick some cabins onboard to allow the option of sleeping through the journey.

Sounds perfect. Allow the more patient players to enjoy the duration of the ride, but also stick some cabins onboard to allow the option of sleeping through the journey.
Awww man a sleep option as a fast travel mechanism is the way to do it! That animation of the fast shot along the night time river would be the perfect cut to demonstrate that.

I think the option to just leisurely watch the scenery on the boat would be great! At first I thought maybe it's due to getting older, I can enjoy just sitting and staring at the world. But on further reflection, I realize that I used to do that a lot as a kid, too. In any case it has an appeal to me. I remember the aspect of asking someone for directions in Shenmue II, and then they would offer to lead you to the location, which resulted in a slow walk in which you can just look around with the camera. It's completely optional but I used it many times because it was an opportunity to just look at the details of the world in passing. Sometimes I try to do that in a game like GTA V but it's harder because random chaos could erupt at any moment.

Maybe we'll have after all the chapter 2! It seems shenmue 3 size will be bigger than initially thought, 3 cities plus the boat, great wall zone and who knows what more...:D

I think the option to just leisurely watch the scenery on the boat would be great! At first I thought maybe it's due to getting older, I can enjoy just sitting and staring at the world. But on further reflection, I realize that I used to do that a lot as a kid, too. In any case it has an appeal to me. I remember the aspect of asking someone for directions in Shenmue II, and then they would offer to lead you to the location, which resulted in a slow walk in which you can just look around with the camera. It's completely optional but I used it many times because it was an opportunity to just look at the details of the world in passing. Sometimes I try to do that in a game like GTA V but it's harder because random chaos could erupt at any moment.

Yeah, that to me is a big part of the fun of the Shenmue games, just sightseeing and enjoying the atmosphere of the world.

Back